TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-Sep-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
aydenrooster

Exclamation new installation of antennas

I just put up 2 antennacraft 54 inch antennas stacked one about 8 feet above the other ,the bottom one is about 18 ft off the ground.2 coaxes from each antenna eaqual lengths into a combiner into a rca "walmart" preamp then to a spliter in my attic to 2 tvs, I was thinking that i should be able to get alot of channels,but it seems so direction sensitive one way i get 7,9,12,22, but not 14, 19,50 or 5 and then vice versa.which way shoud these antennas point? which side of the antenna is the front? why does my panasonic tv pull these signals out so much better than my hitachi tv? both flat screens,tried only one tv at a time also,seems the tuner on the hitachi just struggles to tune,any ides anyone.the panasonic 32 inch has no problems i get like all the channels with no problem, oh yeah I have a rotor on this setup also,but i dont want to have to turn it all the time. my zip is 28513. any suggestions any one?http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2df952a59979ac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glens_crad_today004.jpg (12.6 KB, 536 views)
File Type: jpg glens_crad_today005.jpg (47.2 KB, 551 views)

Last edited by aydenrooster; 27-Sep-2012 at 1:07 AM.
aydenrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Sep-2012, 3:05 PM   #2
teleview

The model numbers of the Antenna Craft Antennas??

The number one reason for 'stacking' antennas is to increase reception and the antennas and aimed in the same direction.

Are the antennas aimed the same direction??

When I know the model numbers of the antennas , I will recommend reception with 1 or 2 antennas and ->No Antenna Rotator , Antenna rotators are Not channel surfing friendly , must wait for antenna to rotate.

What antennas look the most like the antennas you have , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Sep-2012 at 4:43 PM. Reason: Deleting 'boiler plate' spam style content
Old 22-Sep-2012, 4:03 PM   #3
signals unlimited

I assume that your antenna is UHF. If so OK you will only lose Fox 8. If your antennas are UHF/VHF your antenna may not be strong enough. I would go to an Antennas Direct CS2 complete UHF/VHF combo.

Just do the following and your reception will be great:

Remove one of the antennas and install an Eagel Aspen Roto100 rotor.

Install a Winegard AP8700 amplifier. This combination will allow you to use the rotor to operate thru the existing coax, provided you follow the manufacture instructions for single coax installation.

Some would say that rotors are not surfing friendly and I somewhat agree, but this simple system will deliver many channels with the least equipment, expense, and frustration.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Sep-2012 at 4:50 PM. Reason: Deleting off-topic content
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
aydenrooster

my antenna

my antenna is antenna craft 5884 color king VHF/UHF/FM. WHICH WAY SHOULD THEY POINT.i moved both antennas all the way up about a foot apart one pointed SW and one pointed SSE,now i get alot of channels without having to rotate at all.7,9,12,14,19,22,25,38,. CHANNEL 22 GIVES ME A tough time sometimes.is it worth it to get a preamp better than a rca one? Oh yeah i tried the antenna with both pointed in the same direction,it was terrible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg glens_crad_today003.jpg (140.0 KB, 580 views)

Last edited by aydenrooster; 27-Sep-2012 at 1:05 AM.
Old 27-Sep-2012, 4:41 AM   #5
teleview

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install antenna/s at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

I see that the bottom antenna is aimed directly into the Thick part of the tree.

Is the top antenna also aimed in to the thickest part of trees??

Are the 2 antennas connected together on to one coax??

The 2 antennas can not be connected together on to one coax.

Last edited by teleview; 30-Sep-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 30-Sep-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
aydenrooster

Can some one tell me which way to point my antennas!
Old 30-Sep-2012, 5:03 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

A reversed splitter makes a poor antenna combiner

Your opening post suggests you have combined the two antenna using a reversed splitter. That often produces mutual interference. (A weak signal from one antenna interferes with the better signal from the other antenna.) You may be trying something we all wish would work... and have proven time and again, doesn't.

Have you tested each antenna for reception quality, alone, (the other antenna and splitter removed from the setup)?

I agree, the big trees can't be helping.

If you want to use two antennas, consider: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

The bottom line is, you need to adjust one antenna at a time, with the other antenna completely disconnected. A reversed splitter is rarely successful as a multi-antenna combiner.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2012, 5:31 PM   #8
teleview

Aim one antenna at about 315 degree magnetic compass direction and the oher antenna at about 185 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

The antennas Must Not be connected together on to one coax.

For 2 SEPARATE antenna systems use a Remote control A/B antenna switch , http://www.radioshack.com , #15-1968 , or , http://www.mcmelectronics.com , #32-4425.

A Remote control A/B antenna switch at each Tv location means that each antenna has it's own Separate coax system going to each Tv.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

It is best to install the antennas at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception.

It looks like the bottom antenna has a amplifier under it , if it is a amplifier what is the make and model number??

If it is not a amplifier then what is it??

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Sep-2012 at 5:41 PM. Reason: Deleting 'boiler plate' spam style content
Old 30-Sep-2012, 5:49 PM   #9
signals unlimited

DTV antenna reception.

Just so you or anyone who reads this post can understand that you CAN NOT combind two antennas of a different type and or in oposite directions. If you don't understand or believe this due to a lack of understanding how signals work, here in a comparison that may clear this up;

Think of your two antennas as two 5 gallons buckets. You need four gallons of water (that is your signal) in either bucket to do a task. There is five gallons in one and one gallon in the other. You connect them with a line (that is your splitter) below both water lines. The bucket with five gallons feeds back into the bucket that has only one. Now both have half of the combined volume for a total of six gallons leaving both buckets with only three gallons. Not enough in either bucket to do the task.

I hope that makes sense.
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Sep-2012, 6:12 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
It looks like the bottom antenna has a amplifier under it , if it is a amplifier what is the make and model number??

If it is not a amplifier then what is it??
The OP's first post provides the information,
Quote:
...eaqual lengths into a combiner into a rca "walmart" preamp then to a spliter in my attic to 2 tvs...
I have yet to see RCA provide any detailed NF or signal capacity specs on any of their preamp products. Has anyone else?

The stronger local signals give me pause... There's some potential for the preamp to overload.

We are all saying the same thing essentially.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 30-Sep-2012 at 6:17 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote