TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 14-Jun-2010, 5:09 PM   #1
ota

newer than noob

First off, I see some very helpful people in this forum and I think that's awesome.

Second, this site isn't for the simple solution finder like me.

Could someone analyze my needs? I'm in a townhome...outdoor antennas aren't around but might pass the community test if they're discreet (damn dishes aren't discreet!)

I have a Monoprice branded 20dB VHF/UHF HDA-5700 and putting it on top of my roof by a vent didn't do much better than setting it up by the tv.

I'm not getting channel 9 and a couple of other channels are spotty. I can't figure out the analysis map...don't see any colors and the channels are all squished on little radar bars.

I'd like to also be able to use the cable in the house to run the signal to 3 tv's. We get cable internet through at least one connection (where the modem is connected) and outside there appears to be 5 separate cable runs into the house. Why 5 I don't get.

Anyway, here's the analysis...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe0adb7b6752

Can someone point me to the all-around easy solution for an antenna and connecting all tv's to get all the local area channels?

JJ
ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Jun-2010, 7:42 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

Not to be rude, but you should click on the Signal Analysis FAQ link near the top of your report. I'm going to use terms that are spelled out there much better than I could here.

(wait...wait...wait)

The reason why the monoprice "20 dB" antenna does not work is the amplifier inside it. You have tremendously strong signals (I'll explain why in a minute) that are either overloading that amplifier, or, surviving that, are certainly overloading your tuners. Crazy things happen - signals bleed all over the place and get distorted. You may have noticed this on cheaper FM radios when near a station - you hear that station in many spots up and down the dial.

Look at the table that should have the rows color coded and has columns titled Callsign, Real, (Virt), etc. I see that you have 17 or so channels that are coded green, which implies that an indoor antenna should work. Check out the MN column, remembering that you need a net of +10 for reliable reception. 90% of your major affiliates have NMs of +60 or better! (The PBS stations are not far behind.) What that means in real numbers is those signals are 100,000 times stronger (50 dB) than you need. Given your circumstances, a paper clip should work.

Second, examine the Real Channel column (the actual RF channel used.) Note that KMGH and KUSA are broadcasting in the VHF, specifically the high-VHF, band, so whatever antenna is chosen needs to recieve that band of signals as well as the UHF band. If you were feeding just one TV, a Terk HDTVi would suffice (the i is important - it's the non-amplified version). To your advantage, note the Azimuth column. Although the radar plot above the table shows signals coming from many directions, the ones you would care about come from just one - 305 degrees by a compass. This means you should be able to set the antenna and forget about it.

As far as feeding multiple TVs via the house wiring - I'm pretty sure you need to isolate the cable internet from everything else. As a first step (since it has no active, or powered, circuits inside it), you can just connect the Terk to an unused jack and see if you get any reception. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to figure out how the cable runs are connected and rejigger the splitters as you need to.

If all that doesn't work, then the best outdoor antenna for your situation is the RCA ANT-751. It's not very big, and all you need to do is be sure it is above any local obstructions (from the adjoining townhouses). Route the cable as you need.

If you find that that the jacks are somehow not connected together, I would strongly recommend using only one 3-way splitter to join cables to the antenna (indoor or out). The more connections the signal has to pass through, the greater the opportunity for reflections and distortions to show up and ruin the party.

That's just my first thoughts. Anybody else?
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2010, 8:18 AM   #3
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Go to the >>StartMAPS<< part of tvfool and put in your Exact Address. . Also read this . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233 . . . Also go to http://www.dtv.gov and Read and Watch the Video on the Double Rescan. . I live in Fort Lupton Colorado , so I am directly familiar with reception in Colorado. . Do not use the cable tv/internet wiring in the townhome , No Need To. A simple , rods and loop antenna (rabbit ears) at each location will be fine.

Last edited by teleview; 15-Jun-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 16-Jun-2010, 3:42 PM   #4
ota

Thanks for the info. The monoprice antenna amplifier doesn't seem to work anymore (the LED light is off when plugged in) so I've been using it without amplifying.

Maybe I just need a different antenna and maybe I should just put an antenna at each tv instead of using the wall cables.

I'll get a new antenna and see if it helps and get back to the forum.
ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2010, 6:08 PM   #5
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

It is interesting the people will climb any mountain , traverse any desert , swim any sea to get the wrong antenna. It's a real head shaker for me , monoprice - what a joke.