TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Dec-2011, 3:38 PM   #1
trublu

Question what should i do?

i live in montréal (parc-extension area) and i have a old GE tv which accept only digital signal. before i had a inside antenna and every thing was fine i was getting almost 7 channels.
but since they change antenna signal i bought a iview converter and plug the same inside antenna in this iview but the problem is i m not getting all the channel and this signal is not strong also.
now, i would like to know which outside or inside antenna i should buy to get atlease the channel V(tqs).? or which antenna i should buy to have more french channel for free.

here is my report and i understand absolutly nothing there so please help me to get V channel. thanks
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec12325a709d1f

also can someone tell me how many french channel we get with inside or outside antenna in montreal?
trublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 3:54 PM   #2
be236

Wow.. you live so close to towers and LOS. With so many channels at the SW location, a 4-bay antenna like CM4221 aimed at that direction should get you most channels there, and likely even one US channel.
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 4:05 PM   #3
trublu

you meant i need this antenna to get v channel?
CM4221 is a inside or outside antenna?
how can i get us channel i m in canada montreal and us is so far of montreal.
Old 4-Dec-2011, 4:25 PM   #4
be236

Yes, aim at that location to get most your Montreal channels at that southwest direction, and there's one US channel that seems strong enough there that you may pick up as well.

This is outdoor antenna. I've used a CM 4221 before it it can pick up far away channels with low positive NM (signal level) at your location.

It's a bay-type antenna... so probably any bay time to give you the widebeam of those channels in that direction.
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 4:31 PM   #5
trublu

from where i can buy very cheep antenna which i need?(i m not a rich person) and i need it to plug directly in my tv or throug iview converter box?
there is not any possiblity to get the v channel with a inside antenna?

also can u tell me how many french channel i can get with inside or outside antenna in montreal?
Old 4-Dec-2011, 8:24 PM   #6
Electron

Reception

Your location is VERY CLOSE to the tv transmitters and the tv transmissions are VERY STRONG. Is the building you live in a High Rise apartment or High Rise condo building?? I recommend this antenna , TERK HDTVi , notice the -> i <- the HDTVi is a Non Amplified antenna. Do Not use a amplified antenna , the tv transmissions are VERY STRONG and Will overload a amplifier. http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper , http://www.canadapost.ca/shopper/ite...V-Indoor-HDTVi. Aim the HDTVi indoor antenna at about 140 degree magnetic compass. ( south east ) Here is how to aim indoor tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 8:35 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

I agree with Electron here, there is an overabundance of signal power. I think the indoor antenna would be a better choice than a outdoor design. Be sure that you use the HDTVi, not the HDTVa.

From your original post, it's not clear if you own a DTV converter box. Older TVs were usually analog, not digital.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Dec-2011, 8:41 PM   #8
Electron

Reception

The tv transmissions are all Very Strong , including the V channel. Here are some Canada tv guides , http://affiliate.zap2it.com/tvlistin...?aid=symbel2y2 , http://www.canada.com/entertainment/...ion/index.html. Is this a High Rise apartment building or a High Rise condo building??

Last edited by Electron; 4-Dec-2011 at 8:46 PM.
Old 4-Dec-2011, 8:59 PM   #9
trublu

i live here: 950 avenu ogilvy, montreal qc, check on google street view you will know the height of building.
because i dont know the difference between High Rise apartment building and High Rise condo building.

the big building on right side of google maps, on the top there are some telephone booster i think, maybe they involve with signal that's why maybe i m not getting the v channel. if the tranmission are reaaly stronge then maybe because of this booster i m not getting the signal.

Last edited by trublu; 4-Dec-2011 at 9:04 PM.
Old 4-Dec-2011, 9:07 PM   #10
trublu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I agree with Electron here, there is an overabundance of signal power. I think the indoor antenna would be a better choice than a outdoor design. Be sure that you use the HDTVi, not the HDTVa.

From your original post, it's not clear if you own a DTV converter box. Older TVs were usually analog, not digital.

yes u r right my tv accept only analog signal not digital that's why i bought i view converter box. sorry i was confuse before
Old 4-Dec-2011, 9:14 PM   #11
trublu

i have also on antenna like this on the top of my roof. and i think it's pointed to SW direction but still i m not geting v channel. i get other but not v.

http://tinypic.com/r/2r551qe/5
Old 4-Dec-2011, 9:35 PM   #12
Electron

Reception

The picture is of a satellite tv antenna. We Are Not talking or discussing satellite tv here. We Are talking and discussing land based tv transmission towers. The transmitting antenna is on a transmitting tower , I recommend a indoor tv antenna like the HDTVi. Aimed at about 140 degree magnetic compass , south east. Here is how to aim indoor tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html The tv needs to be set to scan for , Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Not analog broadcast tv channels , Not analog cable channels , Not digital cable channels and Not satellite tv channels.
Old 4-Dec-2011, 9:45 PM   #13
trublu

i know but if it is capable to get satelite signal so why not land based. anyway.
i think i should buy this hdtvi antenna.

two other questions more:

1)can u tell me how many french channel i can get with this hdtvi antenna in montreal?

2) on which website i can watch the cable channel on internet for free. like movie channel in french that we get with cable, me i dont want to but cable service so that's why i want to know maybe it'S possible to get some cable channel on internet
Old 4-Dec-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
i know but if it is capable to get satelite signal so why not land based. anyway.
You do not have a TV set that is capable of receiving satellite signals. Few, if any, people do. Your television set can receive only terrestrial broadcasts and cable transmissions. In order to receive satellite transmissions, you need a set top box to receive and decode the signals. Your TV set acts as a monitor for the set top box.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jan-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
trublu

i if i buy a antenna i should plug it in the converter box and to change the channel i should use the remote of this converter box. but i want to use the remote control of my tv to change the channel. because the remote of Iview converter box is too smal and i dont like it. is there a antenna who capt the digital signal and convert automatically to analog signal? or something trick if u have to tell me about this
Old 10-Jan-2012, 9:33 PM   #16
trublu

i m interested to buy this antenna for my tv, is it a good idea? they said it can pick-up all the channel in the rang of 125Mile. so maybe i will get more channels also. what do u think?

Antenna 125 mile

the tv that i have: TV-GE XS Stereo Commercial Skip Model 27GT620 (year 1997)

the converter box is: Iview 2000 STB

Last edited by trublu; 10-Jan-2012 at 9:37 PM.
Old 10-Jan-2012, 10:06 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
i m interested to buy this antenna for my tv, is it a good idea? they said it can pick-up all the channel in the rang of 125Mile. so maybe i will get more channels also. what do u think?

Antenna 125 mile

the tv that i have: TV-GE XS Stereo Commercial Skip Model 27GT620 (year 1997)

the converter box is: Iview 2000 STB
I do not recommend the antenna. A claim of 125 mile range is not believable.

Your TV Fool Report indicates extremely high (strong) signal levels. The antenna you are considering has an amplifier built in which will be overloaded by the strong signals. Please don't waste your hard earned money on an amplified antenna or accessory amplifier of any sort.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=1999

Earlier, I recommended the Terk HDTVi: http://forum.tvfool.com/showpost.php...05&postcount=5 That is still my recommendation.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Jan-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-Jan-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
trublu

thanks groundurmast! i was just in Dollar store and there i found this antenna which i bought it but still with this i dont get all the channel. i think it's almost same comparing to your Terk Hdtvi.
have a look and tell me if i still should buy terk hdtvi.
thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
Old 11-Jan-2012, 12:11 AM   #19
GroundUrMast

Amplified antennas will not work well. The signals are too strong.

Old 11-Jan-2012, 12:23 AM   #20
trublu

behind this antenna there is a option to turn off the amplified, i try both thing, turn ON amplified system and OFF also. but doesn't make any change. i thing i should buy a outside antenna, can u suggere me one better for me for outside, i have old GE tv of 1997 and converter box. so please tell me one better one. thanks