Notices

Old 27-Sep-2011, 2:54 AM   #21
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Put some metal in the air.
What's funny is that those UHF-only antennas that look like this:

WINEGARD HD9095P UHF High-Gain 39-Element HDTV Antenna

.. looks like the UHF-portion (front part) of my (looks like) Radio Shack VU-190, in size and number of elements.

Which, would indicate that my current 10-year old VU-190 should have the same gain as these new UHF-only antennas that have my same design?
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Sep-2011, 2:58 AM   #22
be236

Somehow your post didnt make it thru:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
I have LOS to the transmitters on Mt. Constitution. Per TV Fool, KVOS NM=40.1 dB, KBCB NM=33.0 dB and K24IC NM=22.3 dB. KVOS and KBCB are strong enough to be received through tha back of CM3016.

The best Canadian DTV signal here is CHAN with a NM of -14.5 dB via a 2-edge path.

Anyways, who you have that much signal for K24IC 22.3 dB, when its wattage is like so small? And your signal for KVOS is so high at 40.1 db (mine is 10 dB?).. I guess that LOS really makes a difference instead of my 2EDGE.
Old 28-Sep-2011, 11:37 PM   #23
Dave Loudin

You know that you can click on any station in your report's table to see the path profile between trsnsmitter and you? You'll see why you have 2-edge.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Sep-2011, 11:41 PM   #24
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
You know that you can click on any station in your report's table to see the path profile between trsnsmitter and you? You'll see why you have 2-edge.
Yes, I already knew why... There's a bunch of mountains just south of Bellingham that's in the path between me (Everett) and Vancouver. :-)
Old 28-Sep-2011, 11:43 PM   #25
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 View Post
What's funny is that those UHF-only antennas that look like this:

WINEGARD HD9095P UHF High-Gain 39-Element HDTV Antenna

.. looks like the UHF-portion (front part) of my (looks like) Radio Shack VU-190, in size and number of elements.

Which, would indicate that my current 10-year old VU-190 should have the same gain as these new UHF-only antennas that have my same design?

The difference in UHF gain won't be too great, a few dB. But you need every last bit of real antenna gain available to have any realistic hope of seeing the Canadian DTV signals.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-Sep-2011, 4:35 AM   #26
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The difference in UHF gain won't be too great, a few dB. But you need every last bit of real antenna gain available to have any realistic hope of seeing the Canadian DTV signals.
There was another site that posted Radio Shack VU antenna gains, and even for the biggest one, like VU-190, it shows UHF gain of just about 10 dB.

I know I'll need more to get those BC stations....

How about this Winegard HD-9032 antenna, the URL shows it has good low-UHF gain at almost 14.9 for channel 14?! that's incredible... is this credible stats for this antenna? And channel 32 at 16.3 db gain?

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...2)&tab=reviews

CHANNEL
CH
14 CH
32 CH
50 CH
dB gain over reference dipole
14.9 16.3 15.7 11.5
Old 29-Sep-2011, 6:58 AM   #27
GroundUrMast

Computer modeling may agree or disagree and independent range testing may show some variations, none the less, the advertised gain figures for the Antennacraft, Antennas Direct, Channel Master and Winegard products are credible IMO.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Oct-2011, 9:52 PM   #28
be236

Is that spec for the 91X of 16.7 dBi or dBd?

I ask because, I was reading on another site talking about this Grey-Hoverman - GH (GH10 rev2) Do-it-yourself antenna that gets great stable gain from low to High UHF of 14 dbi to 15 dbi, and 12 to 13 dBd.

So, the question is.. should I spend my time to build this GH antenna if I can give me more gain than 91XG ? Or does the 91XG still have more gain regardless?

I'd rather just buy the best gain antenna than make one myself (too lazy and too time consuming).

Here's the website to make GH antenna:

http://www.jedsoft.org/fun/antennas/dtv/gh.html

Last edited by be236; 2-Oct-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 3-Oct-2011, 3:05 PM   #29
Dave Loudin

For Grey-Hoverman designs, this is the site for optimized UHF/hi-VHF designs.
Old 3-Oct-2011, 3:10 PM   #30
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
For Grey-Hoverman designs, this is the site for optimized UHF/hi-VHF designs.
Great, I can check that out.

In the meantime, is there a site that provides step-by-step instructions on how to make these? From where and what materials to buy at home depot stores to how to cut and measure rods/elements to the precise length and position, etc...

Some of the sites I've seen just give a diagram and dimensions, not much more...

Or am I asking too much since this is DIY?
Old 3-Oct-2011, 3:39 PM   #31
Dave Loudin

You're a Digital Home member, so go see unclesam's albums here. The SNAP design may be right up your alley.
Old 19-Oct-2011, 3:16 AM   #32
be236

Looks like there's a guy selling M4 kits available for $20.. Seems a good deal. Get two kits and make an 8-bay for 16dBi gain, I believe.

oh:

Was there tropo conditions this morning?

With KT-200 preamp and same VU-190 antenna with aluminum foil on the lower reflector, this morning, I was able to get picture on CHAN (RF 22), RF 20, 26, and 43.

CHAN was the best with SNR of about 18. RF 20 was weakest at SNR 16 and breaking up here and there.

Probably when I get home this evening, they'll probably be gone.
Old 19-Oct-2011, 12:52 PM   #33
Dave Loudin

"The guy" is the one who came up with that design.
Old 19-Oct-2011, 3:27 PM   #34
be236

I guess this "guy's" handle is mcclapps? If he did all this modeling and selling that kit, that's cool. Kudos for his work in this area so people can build an antenna with great gain.

If he's the same guy, then I've been emailing him and he's giving me great info. Great guy!