TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Jan-2011, 4:18 PM   #1
crimso

some advice please

greetings!

i thought the best approach to getting some info would be to define my preferences and see what you folks suggest. based on the analysis results:

1.) i prefer to mount an antenna in the attic.
2.) prefer no amplifier (don't want to run power).
3.) really targeting the channels in the 90-180 degree range although getting 360 degrees without moving the antenna would be nice.

please keep in mind i can mount the antenna anywhere and can run ac for an amp. i just prefer to "plug and play" if possible. honestly don't know how unreasonable my want list is. thanx for your consideration!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3cf409c2bd7488
crimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Jan-2011, 4:25 PM   #2
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimso View Post
1.) i prefer to mount an antenna in the attic.
2.) prefer no amplifier (don't want to run power).
3.) really targeting the channels in the 90-180 degree range although getting 360 degrees without moving the antenna would be nice.
1. It might work.
2. If a preamp is needed, the power comes up the coax.
3. Your chances of that working reliably are 50/50.

Try an HD 7694P antenna. Pick it up at Solid Signal 25225 Regency Drive Novi, MI 48375.

If you need a preamp, the HDP-269 is the right choice.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 1:55 PM   #3
crimso

based on your advice i've done the installation and i now have a question that might be a bit naive. i am able to get all of the channels i wanted except one and i also got several i wasn't actually looking to get. regarding the one i cannot get it happens to be 62.1(wwj) and i don't understand why i don't get it when i do get 20.1(wmyd). according to the analysis results it would appear that they are potentially in the same building or very close neighbors anyways. thanx.
Old 20-Jan-2011, 2:54 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

Is the antenna in the attic? If so, can you test your reception with it from your roof? Attic mounting can be problematic for several reasons, reduced signal strength and more trouble with reflected signals (multipath interference).

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 3:43 PM   #5
crimso

yes it's in the attic. it's there mostly because this is not the time here in michigan to be crawling around on the roof and figured if it worked, there it would stay. i suppose i will leave it be for now and first sign of spring i'll find a spot on the outside of the house after some testing. thanx for the response!
Old 20-Jan-2011, 3:56 PM   #6
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
egarding the one i cannot get it happens to be 62.1(wwj) and i don't understand why i don't get it when i do get 20.1(wmyd). according to the analysis results it would appear that they are potentially in the same building or very close neighbors anyways.
WWJ shares the same tower with WMYD and three other stations.

It sounds like your current antenna, whatever it actually is, is either in a localized "dead spot" for WWJ or there is a frequency-selective reflection that is causing multi-path on that one channel that is severe enough that your tuner cannot correct it. Attics are more prone to this effect than would be an outdoor antenna. The solution is to move the antenna to a different spot and try again. Repeat until either you're successful or you've exhausted all choices.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 20-Jan-2011 at 8:28 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 7:32 PM   #7
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
another thought here: if your tuner scanned previously for WWJ, your PSIP information may be scrambled, you should try deleting the entire memory from the tuner, unplug the tuner for 15 minutes or so to power it down, then rescan. If the station is there, chances are good that the rescan will turn it up.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2011, 8:29 PM   #8
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Good call, TB. It's been awhile since I've had to recommend the "double-rescan" and it slipped my mind (easy enough to do...)

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote