TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2010, 6:47 PM   #1
goosemasterkl

Getting network channels

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a362aa8a0b9896 Here is my info link and I was needing some help. I have a HD Stacker antenna and a Winegard AP 8700 preamplifier. How can I pick-up channels 45 & 46 which are NBC and CBS. I get ABC and Fox Network now but can't receive the other 2 networks. I don't understand why; the ABC channel is just 2 and 4 degrees from the 2 I'm trying to pick-up. Can someone tell me what I need to do? Thanks
goosemasterkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2010, 7:19 PM   #2
Billiam

My guess is the preamp is not needed if you only want the stations in green and yellow. I would try removing the preamp and see what happens.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2010, 9:34 PM   #3
Dave Loudin

Same advice here as in the other forum! The two closest stations are swamping your preamp.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
goosemasterkl

Getting Local stations

I tried hooking a F- coupling up at the preamp on the mast pole to by-pass the preamp but I couldn't pick anything up like that. I may have done something wrong; that's why I'm asking for knowledgeable advice. Should I just hook it up as if there was no preamp installed? Thanks
Old 19-Sep-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
Billiam

Remove the preamp completely out of the system. Run the coax straight from the antenna to the TV and see what happens.
Old 19-Sep-2010, 2:26 PM   #6
goosemasterkl

Getting Local stations

I tried un-hooking the preamp and now I can't pick-up anything. Let me know what you think the problem is. Thanks
Old 19-Sep-2010, 2:36 PM   #7
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosemasterkl View Post
I tried un-hooking the preamp and now I can't pick-up anything. Let me know what you think the problem is. Thanks
Did you remove the cable from the preamp at the mast and also at the tv? If you keep one end of it plugged into the part with the AC outlet, it won't work properly either with or without the preamp. You have to completely bypass all the preamp components.
Old 19-Sep-2010, 3:03 PM   #8
goosemasterkl

I completely unhooked the preamp from both ends. Thanks
Old 19-Sep-2010, 3:11 PM   #9
Billiam

The next step is to examine how and where the antenna is installed.

In the attic? Outside? How is it mounted and what kind of hardware are you using?

Are there any large trees, buildings or hills in the direction where these signals originate?
Old 19-Sep-2010, 6:00 PM   #10
goosemasterkl

I hooked the preamp back up and here is what I'm getting:
Antenna is 19' high on a pole outside; I have a big limb approximately 12' over the top of the antenna and one tree out in front of it. Antenna is pointing due North.
RF-28 Channel 7-1 Meter signal 70-75
" - 9 " " 9-1 " " " " 30-35
" - 9 " " 9-2 " " " " 30-35
" - 9 " " 9-3 " " " " 30-35
" - 20 " " 19-1 " " " " 80-85
" - 7 " " 25-1 " " " " 70-75
" - 7 " " 25-2 " " " " 75-80

Maybe these numbers will tell you something that I can't figure out.
Thanks;
Old 19-Sep-2010, 6:34 PM   #11
Billiam

I've had similar issues like this at my present location. Changing antennas solved the problem.

Probably an issue with multipath just like here. The Stacker is a good antenna and should be able to do the job there. In my case I had trouble getting all my stations with the CM 4228 and U8000 both of which are 8 bay screens. When I switched to a Yagi style MXU59 and 91XG then I was able to get every local station with a strong signal.

My guess is that those trees are the problem. You may have to try moving the antenna to another spot or perhaps put another antenna in front of the tree to get the stations you want. I tried that here with a CM 4221HD and that too worked well.
Old 19-Sep-2010, 6:40 PM   #12
Tower Guy

Quote:
something that I can't figure out.
Thanks;
You have two extra strong FM stations, WSOF on 89.9 and WKMD on 90.9. The stacker antenna receives FM very well. The tunable FM trap in the AP 8700 can be adjusted to eliminate one of them, but not both. You can try to tune out the strongest one, but I suspect that you'd be better off with an HLSJ used as a low band trap. Install it between the antenna and the preamp with nothing (or a 75 ohm termination) connected to the L input.

You may also have to drop down to a HDP-269 preamp.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Sep-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
goosemasterkl

I'm not going to use fm; can I turn that plug on the fm trap to where it's not receiving fm stations? Thanks
Old 20-Sep-2010, 1:51 PM   #14
Tower Guy

Quote:
I'm not going to use fm; can I turn that plug on the fm trap to where it's not receiving fm stations? Thanks
The preamp that you have is equipped with 2 FM filters. One is most effective above 95 MHz, the other is tunable to eliminate a single station low in the band. With two stations low in the band you can pick which one to trap out, but that leaves one strong FM station to overload the preamp. You could add a second tunable trap, the FT-7600, tuned to the second FM station, use a HLSJ to eliminate all FM, or replace the stacker with an antenna system designed for channels 7-69.

To tune the trap in the AP-8700, connect an antenna indoors (Could be the stacker, or a simple FM dipole.) to the AP-8700 when it is located in a place where you can look at the signal strength of an FM station using the signal strength meter on your FM tuner. Adjust the screwdriver slot for minimum signal. After that you can place the preamp at the stacker antenna.
Old 20-Sep-2010, 7:34 PM   #15
goosemasterkl

I ordered a HLSJ to put on my system; in what order does it install at? before this; after that, etc. Also; what antenna do you reccommend? Thanks
Old 20-Sep-2010, 9:26 PM   #16
Tower Guy

Quote:
I ordered a HLSJ to put on my system; in what order does it install at? before this; after that, etc. Also; what antenna do you reccommend? Thanks
The L input of the HLSJ is connected to nothing or a 75 ohm termination.
The H input of the HLSJ is connected to the stacker antenna that you have. The output of the HLSJ is connected to the input of your AP-8700 preamp.

With an HLSJ there should be no need to change antennas. I mentioned other choices so that anyone in a similar situation as yours would get an antenna that doesn't pick up FM.

To eliminate overload from your strongest UHF TV station you may still need to replace the AP-8700 with a HDP-269.
Old 21-Sep-2010, 9:52 PM   #17
goosemasterkl

Thanks guys for all the info; I'll let you know if the HLSJ works when it comes in. Thanks
Old 24-Sep-2010, 8:10 PM   #18
goosemasterkl

Tower Guy; Billiam, I put the HLSJ on my antenna and there was no difference. What do you suggest now? Thanks for the info
Old 25-Sep-2010, 2:43 PM   #19
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I'm convinced that you are swamping that preamp with signal: the CW and PBS stations are just too strong in your location. I would start with a better UHF antenna, one that is more directional, like an AntennasDirect XG-91, and replace the AP-8700 with a Winegard HDP-269. Aim the antenna directly at channel at the ABC and FOX transmitters: the others should fall back into place.The additional directionality of the XG-91, plus it's additional gain, should solve your situation.
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Sep-2010, 4:01 PM   #20
goosemasterkl

Tigerbangs; Thanks so much for your response; Maybe that will give me another avenue on fixing my problem. I'm just dumbfounded about this whole thing. It maybe makes sense to people like yourself with knowledge of these antenna's; but I don't understand how the 2 network stations I'm trying to pick-up (channels 45 & 46 NBC and CBS) they are 2 degrees and 4 degrees apart from channels I'm already picking up the ABC and Fox network all coming out of Evansville, In. Just don't make sense to me; but alot of things don't make sense to me. Well; again thanks for your reply.