TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2014, 2:21 PM   #1
killdee

Heres my tv fool report

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2439effd1d4c3

Hopefully I did this correctly. Im looking for advice on selecting an outside antenna to drop DTV. I have 3 tvs and would also like recommendations for a dvr that works with OTA systems. Can I connect to my Direct tv splitter or will I need to replace? I have been on the fence for a year or so but a new car payment has encouraged me to take a hard look at cutting expenses.I do have a few trees a 100 yards or less between my house and the Atlanta area. I would prefer an attic mount but will go outside if needed.

Last edited by killdee; 1-Sep-2014 at 2:25 PM.
killdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2014, 4:49 PM   #2
timgr

That's a very favorable reception environment.

Have you read many of the older posts here? One consistent theme is that an attic is a poor location for your antenna and will have unpredictable results.

Have you tried your reception with an indoor antenna?

There are lots of confounding circumstances, but you should be able to pick up all the green highighted channels with a good indoor antenna. I'm not an antenna expert (just an interested participant trying to contribute) but I would expect your attic installation would not be a whole lot better than indoors reception.

Realize that there are two bands for TV broadcast, VHF (2-13) and UHF (14-69) and there are different coverages with different antennas. You can look at the Antennacraft site and get a feel for this. http://www.antennacraft.net/ Look at the channel listing in your TVFool radar plot and see if there are any channels you must have that are VHF or are widely separated from the main group of UHF channels. If you really want WGTV, for example, then you'll need an antenna with high VHF capability.

Last edited by timgr; 1-Sep-2014 at 4:59 PM.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2014, 8:07 PM   #3
killdee

I have read a lot a year or so back and did again after I posted so I'll forget about the attic and go back outside I have a truss built house so I likely wouldnt have room anyway. I dont have a chimney so I guess I'll have to use another method for the roof.The only time I tried an indoor was one of those paper thin flat ones for a test before I gave it to my son and I did get a good number of channels but it was also storming and I didnt follow the instructions properly.I got so confused the last time I attempted this I didnt follow through, there is a lot of conflicting info out there on "top Rated" antennas.
Thanks for your reply
Tony
Old 1-Sep-2014, 9:38 PM   #4
teleview

+=>

Here Tuner/Tuner Recorders.

http://www.epvision.com.

---------------------------------------

A Simple reception situation that will receive -->Many<-->Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels.

-----------------------

Above the Peak of the Roof in such a manner that reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the , attic , roof , building , in the directions of , South East , East , North.

Install a.
http://www.channelmasterstore.com.

CM4228HD , UHF/VHF antenna aimed at about 120 degree magnetic direction.

Your reception location has receivable channels in the UHF band channels 14 thru 51 , and , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13.

The CM4228HD antenna is designed to receive channels in both Tv bands , receives channels 7 thru 51.

-----------------------

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

As always , the Tv antenna aim direction and location can be adjusted for best reception.

To assist best reception , most Digital Tv's and Digital Tuners have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's and Digital Tuners also have a Signal Quality Meter.

----------------------

Here are some and not all above the roof antenna mounts.

http://www.ronard.com/909911.html. Install the , Ronard , 3 foot or 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html. Install the , Ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

-----

Home Depot has , 10 foot 6 inch length - 1 and 3/8 inch diameter , TOP RAIL , chain link fence , PIPE , that makes excellent antenna mast/pipe , the price is low at about 12 dollars.

The Top Rail Pipe can be cut to a shorter length.

Most antenna installations on the roof the antenna only needs to be as high as your head.

-------------------------------------------------------------

A antenna system amplifier will most likely not be required for reception at your reception location.

---------------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D , 3 way splitter.

Buy at , http://www.hollandelectronics.com , or , http://www.amazon.com

--------------------

For coax that is outside and exposed to Weather/Water , use RG-6 coax that has the Compression Type Connectors on the ends of the coax.

Do not use coax that has the crimp type connectors on the ends of the coax.

Snug tight all outside connections so as to keep Weather/Water out of outside connections and devices.

To make Double Sure Weather/Water does not get into outside connections wrap with.

http://www.coaxseal.com.

--------------------

Also know this.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

For the Best Reliable Reception install the CM4228HD antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own , attic , roof , building.

The directions of reception at your location are , the main group of Tv transmitters to the , South East , East , and other transmitters to the North.

------------------------------------------

The Tv's Must Channel Scan for the , OTA=Over The Air , ATSC Digital Broadcast Tv Stations/Channels , often named the ~ Antenna Channels ~ ATSC Channels ~ DTV Channels ~ Air Channels ~ in the Tv Setup Menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the Air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT Channel Scan for Cable Tv Channels.

Last edited by teleview; 2-Sep-2014 at 4:32 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 11-Sep-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
killdee

Thanks for the reply and advice. I do have some trees in the path at120 degrees, I'm thinking I could walk the roof with the antennae to find the best reception spot before I do the final install.I have a low pitch roof.
Old 11-Sep-2014, 2:08 PM   #6
futrader8

Looks like you and I live very close to each other because our TV Fool reports are almost identical. The only difference is that most of my stations are 1Edge probably because I live at the bottom of a hill. I am using the RCA ANR751R and it works perfectly. I also have some oak tree branches in my yard that are blocking the path of the antenna, but I haven't noticed any effect on signal quality. I'm even able to receive ION 14.1 (RF51) which is coming from directly behind the antenna. I would honestly consider trying this antenna first (which it should work well since almost all of the important channels are LOS from your location) and if for some reason that it doesn't work well, then step up to the CM 4228HD (which is a larger and more expensive antenna).

Last edited by futrader8; 11-Sep-2014 at 2:12 PM.
futrader8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2014, 3:06 AM   #7
killdee

Are you in Marietta?
Old 12-Sep-2014, 2:22 PM   #8
futrader8

Yes, I am.
futrader8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Sep-2014, 6:41 PM   #9
emartz91

RCA ANT-751 antenna above the roof at 145 degrees magnetic. You don't need an amplifier for up to 2 tv's. Green and yellow in the general direction should be picked up.
emartz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2014, 1:48 AM   #10
killdee

We have 3 tvs but rarely watch more than 1-2 at a time so are we still good without the amp?
futrader8 I live off Powers Ferry near the 120 loop end close to 1-75.

Thanks for all the help fellas!! I have been extremely busy lately but will start accumulating my parts over the next couple weeks. My next step is to drop ATT home phone and DSL, guess I'll go with Xfinity for internet for 19.95 a month for 1 year.Wish there was an OTA solution for this!!!!
Tony
Old 13-Sep-2014, 2:08 AM   #11
Tower Guy

There's plenty of signal available. You should not need an amplifier.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2014, 2:03 PM   #12
tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdee View Post
We have 3 tvs but rarely watch more than 1-2 at a time so are we still good without the amp?
The mere existence of the splitter in the signal chain will reduce the output in accordance with how many ports it splits into (and how it's done internally - not always equally attenuated), regardless of how many TV's are actually connected or powered up at any time. But you have enviably strong signals, so no worries.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2014, 9:52 PM   #13
killdee

I already have a roll of RG6 cable but w/o the ground, can I use a length of 12g wire for the ground and is there a grounding sticky here on the forum?

Thanks for all the replays and info, I have an antennae and splitter on the way,coax wrap and the good cable ends and tool ready to go!!!
Old 17-Sep-2014, 9:57 PM   #14
timgr

This thread is a good summary on grounding. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote