TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Nov-2013, 4:51 AM   #1
rm6p

Antenna help needed in San Diego

Help for someone new to over air broadcasts. I cannot chase the audio problem down on channel 8.1 KFMB.

I installed an RCA ANT751 at the peak of the house (about 15 ft off the ground). At 130 deg magnetic, I can receive all required channels with great pictures but have a serious audio problem with channel 8.1 KFMB and a slightly less problem with KSWB 69.1. According to the TV, signal strength is very strong at between 70-80 for channel 8.1. The sound cuts in and out so much you cannot watch that channel. I have tried all points between 130 deg through 230 deg with no difference. I added an Antennacraft 10G201 pre amplifier with FM trap with no difference. I tried and returned a Channel Master CM-2016 with and without the pre-amp with no improvement. The RG6U coax is temporarily run directly from the antenna through the patio door to the TV in one piece. TV is a Sharp LC-52D64U with the latest firmware installed.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae68b095da46

Must have channels
KFMB 8.1
KGTV 10.1
KPBS 15.1
KNSD 39.1
KUSI 51.1

Like to have channels
MeTV 8.2
Movies 13.3
KSWB 69.1

From standing on the roof it looks like I am behind a stand of trees a few miles away and in a slightly lower spot.

I would appreciate any suggestions including starting from scratch. I have to get these channels as solid as possible before cutting the cable.

Thank you
rm6p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Nov-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I've yet to see an audio-only problem that was directly attributable to a fault or problem in the antenna system. As far is the incoming signal at the antenna is concerned, there is no distinction in the digital system between audio, video, or any other component (except the pilot carrier), it's all just data packets that have to be reassembled in the tuner section of the receiver.

If you think it's the antenna, move it several yards and try again. Note that channels 8 and 10 come from La Jolla, the rest to your southeast. Many folks need separate antenna elements pointing in different directions to pull off reception in your area.

If you have another TV set, give it a try to see if it behaves differently. There are differences between various tuners.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 19-Nov-2013 at 4:19 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Nov-2013, 2:02 PM   #3
rm6p

Thank you..
I updated the firmware but never thought tuner itself might be the culprit. I will try a different TV tonight.

Thanks again for the direction.
Old 19-Nov-2013, 2:46 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
-------
Digital tuners can develop - Digital Glitchs - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf
Old 19-Nov-2013, 3:35 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
-------
Information about directional antennas and antenna aiming.

Directional antennas such as and not limited to the ANT751 , receive the best at the front of the antenna , the forward direction.

A little less at front angles to the antenna.

Less at back angles to the antenna.

Less at the back of the antenna.

Directional antennas receive the least amount directly on the sides of the antenna.

---------

Looking at your radar plot and channel list , I see the the weakest signal strength Tv stations are to the , north west at about 317 degree magnetic compass direction.

The Tv stations in the other directions are stronger signal strength.

If the antenna is aimed at about 340 degree magnetic compass direction , that will put the weakest Tv stations toward the front and front angle to the antenna , so as to receive more of the Tv stations to the , north west.

And will put the stronger Tv stations in the other directions at , front angle for the north east Tv stations and back angle for the south west Tv stations and back of antenna for the strong signal strength south east Tv stations.

And no Tv stations will be directly on the sides of the antenna.

This will receive the most amount of Tv stations with 1 antenna aimed in 1 direction.

--------

As always , the starting antenna aim direction is the--> starting antenna aim direction.
The antenna aim can be adjusted for best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

----------

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on broadcast Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house

Some and not all Negative Effects are

Absorbing , Blocking , Reception

Multi-Path reflecting signals bouncing around.

The Best Practice is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

Last edited by teleview; 20-Nov-2013 at 3:35 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 19-Nov-2013, 4:21 PM   #6
ADTech

Might be a good idea to make reception of the San Diego stations work well before exploring signals from Los Angeles, about 105 miles away. However, this TVFool plot indicates a fortunate location whereby it all might be pulled off.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Old 20-Nov-2013, 3:51 PM   #7
rm6p

Thank you for all the information and suggestions. The double rescan did not work last night. Unfortunately my other TV's do not have digital tuners so I cannot check them. The only thing I can think of is to get a converter box and try the older TV again. Any other ideas I have missed?

Thanks again, I do appreciate the responses.
Old 20-Nov-2013, 4:54 PM   #8
teleview

+=>
------
Walmart has converter boxes.

www.channelmasterstore.com
Has converter boxes.

ePvision has converter boxes
www.epvision.com

However with , Black Friday , coming up , may as well buy a new flat screen Tv .

Last edited by teleview; 20-Nov-2013 at 4:59 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 27-Feb-2014, 3:01 AM   #9
rm6p

Bought a converter box for the older TV. That comes in nice but, it is not HD. The HD flat screen's channel 8 audio problems are gone since a couple more double rescans. The audio clipping have moved to 69 FOX and think the antenna is just not robust enough. The antenna is aimed at 132 degrees magnetic which should pick up the broadcast without a problem. In addition to the RCA ANT751R, I added an Antennacraft 10G201 preamp. This antenna is coded for Yellow, Green, LT Green, and Red reception areas. I think i need one that includes Blue. Is there a known good antenna that should cover this requirement?
Old 27-Feb-2014, 4:22 AM   #10
GroundUrMast

Your situation is similar to that of most folks in the San Diego market. A fairly simple two antenna system is going to give you a much better shot at reliable reception than any single antenna.

If you were starting from scratch, I'd suggest an Antennas Direct 42XG + Antennacraft Y5713 + Antennas Direct UHF/VHF antenna combiner.

In this case, you can substitute the existing ANT-751 for the Y5713 which should be pointed toward real CH-8 & CH-10, about 217° compass. The 42XG would point at about 158°. The 42XG would connect to the UHF input port of the antenna combiner, the ANT751 would connect to the VHF port.

The goal is to obtain a high quality signal from two separate directions at the same time, something a single antenna can't do very well.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-Feb-2014, 5:00 AM   #11
rm6p

Is the Antennas Direct EU385CF-1S the combiner to use?
Old 27-Feb-2014, 3:17 PM   #12
rm6p

I have to mount both antennas on the same mast. How far apart is the recommended distance between the antennas? Thank you
Old 27-Feb-2014, 5:47 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm6p View Post
Is the Antennas Direct EU385CF-1S the combiner to use?
I own one and am very happy with it, yes.

Old 27-Feb-2014, 5:48 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm6p View Post
I have to mount both antennas on the same mast. How far apart is the recommended distance between the antennas? Thank you
UHF on top... The VHF 3' to 4' below.

Old 27-Feb-2014, 6:14 PM   #15
rm6p

Just ordered the antenna and combiner. Thank you very much, I appreciate all the help.
Old 7-Mar-2014, 2:38 AM   #16
rm6p

I received the antenna and combiner today. The combiner has an Antennas Direct label and part number. The antenna box is marked Terrestrial Digital 42 Element Outdoor UHF with the 42XG catalog number. Any idea if this is correct? I expected to see an Antennas Direct label. The instruction sheet is marked AE42XG. Thank you
Old 7-Mar-2014, 4:57 AM   #17
GroundUrMast

Terrestrial Digital changed their name to Antennas Direct some time back. The 42XG and 91XG designs were developed a few years ago, before the name change.

(ADTech, please straighten me out if I got any of that wrong, TIA)

Old 7-Mar-2014, 7:51 AM   #18
dmfdmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
Looking at your radar plot and channel list , I see the the weakest signal strength Tv stations are to the , north west at about 317 degree magnetic compass direction. The Tv stations in the other directions are stronger signal strength. If the antenna is aimed at about 340 degree magnetic compass direction , that will put the weakest Tv stations toward the front and front angle to the antenna , so as to receive more of the Tv stations to the , north west. And will put the stronger Tv stations in the other directions at , front angle for the north east Tv stations and back angle for the south west Tv stations and back of antenna for the strong signal strength south east Tv stations. And no Tv stations will be directly on the sides of the antenna. This will receive the most amount of Tv stations with 1 antenna aimed in 1 direction.
I know I am late to the party but I have to agree with teleview here, how did this poster get sent down the two antenna path? Teleview's strategy is sound. If the aim at 340deg didn't work you could flip the antenna around and easily pickup the stations coming from 144deg. Must-have stations RCH8 and RCH10 are coming in so hot I think any combo antenna would pick these up regardless of where they are aimed. A combo antenna with a bit more power than the ANT751 would work as teleview describes without the trouble of a two antenna system.

Am I missing something here?
dmfdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Mar-2014, 5:05 PM   #19
GroundUrMast

@dmfdmf, Thanks for the observation & question...

I think teleview's efforts to optimize the installation of the existing 751 were a sound and reasonable approach.

By post 9 of this thread, the OP had concluded they wanted to consider another antenna. Given that the two H-VHF signals (RCH-8 & RCH-10) are roughly 90° off the main beam, I fall back on my experience with multipath problems and tend toward a solution that I believe would offer a higher probability of reliable reception. They already own the 751, so rather than tossing it aside, I offered a solution that is similar to that used by may other San Diego viewers. (I believe that a larger, more directional combo antenna would further reduce the chances of reliable reception from the side.)

As I look at the signals available from the LA direction, the distance makes me fearful of variable atmospheric conditions producing a form of multipath interference. Also, many of the distant signals are flagged with co-channel adjacent channel warnings. As a result, I chose to focus my attention on the local signals from the San Diego market. (If in the same situation, I'd opt to build a separate LA receiving system, using a big DX antenna or combination.)

Part of my thinking process includes the idea that I don't want to recommend a solution that 'almost' gets the job done... nor do I want to waste the OP's money... Again, it's a judgement call, and it's rare that there is only one workable solution.

Best regards

Old 7-Mar-2014, 8:35 PM   #20
ADTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Terrestrial Digital changed their name to Antennas Direct some time back. The 42XG and 91XG designs were developed a few years ago, before the name change.

(ADTech, please straighten me out if I got any of that wrong, TIA)
You're correct. The boss found that too many people not only couldn't pronounce "Terrestrial", they couldn't spell it which caused a huge problem trying to get them to go to the new company's website.

The company's name has always been "Antennas Direct, Inc". "Terrestrial Digital" was the brand name of the products back then. I've been here more than five years and TD was already gone by then except in pre-printed inserts and such. We still have slow-moving inventory on hand with the old name on it.

We haven't manufactured any 42XGs since I've been here. Inventory is probably down to a dozen or two and they'll be discontinued when inventory is depleted, same as a few other models that have already been discontinued.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Mar-2014 at 8:38 PM.