TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 31-Dec-2012, 4:01 PM   #1
smccue

Troubleshooting an installation

Hi all!

Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cc492c9d2647cb

I posted here about a month ago and received guidance on what sort of antenna I should purchase. I've finally installed it and am not receiving anything but channel 6.

Here's what I've got going on, and I'm hoping I've made an obvious mistake that someone with experience can diagnose.

The antenna (Winegard HD-7082P) is mounted on the roof via an eave installation with cable running through the attic and connecting via a 3-way splitter to the rest of the house (things were already set up that way, I'm just jacking in to the current setup). I've had the antenna aimed towards 83 magnetic as suggested, but it doesn't seem to change anything when I fiddle with the direction.

-I've not yet grounded the antenna-might this have anything to do with it?

-My neighbor has a similar setup that's almost directly in my line-of-sight to 83 mag. Seems like this shouldn't matter, but thought I'd mention it.

-Should I get rid of the splitter and try to run to a single TV instead?

I'm not sure where to go with this, since everything I've read seems like it's a pretty simple proposition to get things hooked up. I recognize that without seeing my setup it's really tough to troubleshoot, so my apologies and my appreciation for anything you can offer. I'm hoping that I made a rookie mistake and that I'll get some suggestions of interventions to try. Thanks again!
smccue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2012, 8:36 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Have you reprogrammed the TV tuner to scan for 'Antenna' / 'Air'. Most TV tuners default to 'Cable' mode which uses a different digital format.

If that does not correct the trouble, what is the make and model of the TV? If it's older and lacks an ATSC (digital over-the-air format) capable tuner, we can suggest a set-top-box converter.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Dec-2012, 9:13 PM   #3
smccue

That was totally it! I knew it had to be something simple. Thanks for the help!
smccue is offline   Reply With Quote