TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Nov-2015, 3:25 PM   #1
billfr

Will a cable modem & wireless router cause TV signal interference?

Hello all,

I am considering moving my Motorola cable modem and Netgear wireless router to a cabinet that also has my TIVO in it. My antenna is connected to the TIVO. The TV sits on top of the cabinet. Inside this same cabinet there is a Roku 2 and a DVD player.

The cable company will be coming out this week to do the installation and I would like to get it right the first time.

Is it likely or possible that the cable modem and/or wireless router will cause TV signal interference?

Thanks
billfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2015, 6:02 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Very unlikely, but, if it does, all you need to do is move the wireless router/access point further away from the the TV receiving antenna, assuming there are no defective flyleads allowing signal ingress.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2015, 8:17 PM   #3
MikeBear

I have my cable modem, router, and a switch sitting on top of my tv cabinet. Tivo, Roku, Dish Dvr, Ooma, two FTA satellite receivers, WDTVLIVE, Blu-ray player, etc. all within inches, and I have NO problems with interference from any of them.
MikeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2015, 8:30 PM   #4
billfr

Will a cable modem & wireless router cause TV signal interference?

I want to thank you both for responding.

I will proceed and have the modem and router installed under the TV, which is where I wanted place them.

Thanks
Old 13-Nov-2015, 7:38 PM   #5
WIRELESS ENGINEER

ANYTHING electronic can cause rf interference

That's why the FCC created part 95 rules

And cable modems are among the WORST for throwing out broad band rf interference

I've seen twist and led light bulbs cause interference as well as appliances, scanners, and anything that is "wireless"

Your cell phone and local ATT and Verizon 4GLTE towers can cause interference to your tv reception as well since 4GLTE signals now occupy the 700mhz region and will soon be in the 600mhz region as well these signals desense and overload antenna preamps and can desense the Tv receiver

Those wireless outdoor thermometers can easily cause your tv to go to pixels on certain channels every time they transmit

Anything that has a microprocessor can and will generate RF that can cause interference
so the easiest way to troubleshoot is to remove the power from any suspected device to see if it goes away

Keeping your antenna as far away from potential rf intereference sources is always a good practice
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Nov-2015, 4:04 PM   #6
billfr

Hello,

I want to thank everyone who has replied to my post. Based on the advice here I went ahead and installed the cable modem and wireless router inside this same cabinet that contains the TiVo, Roku 2 and a DVD player.

That was 10 days ago and I haven't had any problems.

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply and share your experience.