TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Dec-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
DEDon

Please advise...need a fresh position at which to point my antenna

Need fresh advice
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2434bc37a8965

Could someone please suggest a position for my antenna in order to obtain for me to get KJWP channel 2.1, 2.2, 2.3?

I get 46 other channels but can't bring this channel in for some reason. The Channel scan goes right over it, ignoring it. But, once in a while, it comes in. I'd like to get it because it's another movie chanel.

Thanks for assistance, past and present. No more Cable TV for me

ps. My rotor is inop until I replace the RF connector on the circuit board
Antenna seems to pull in the most stations pointing toward Philly (almost due NE.)
Winegard Boost Pre-Amp
Viewsonics VSMA 601C-10R Amp
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
DEDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Jake V

Your TV Fool link did not paste correctly into your post, so it is unreadable. You might consider re-posting.

A generic plot for Wilmington is here: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2439699b0291e

KJWP is at 49 degrees as measured on a compass. Meaning your antenna should be aimed roughly northeast.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2014, 1:41 AM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Repaired TVFool link: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2434bc37a8965

KJWP transmits from Roxborough, same as all the other Philly stations. Same tower as WCAU, among other stations. That's where the antenna needs to be aimed.

Why do you have a 'PS-1403 signal booster' installed? A PS-1403 is a power inserter for a Winegard pre-amp, it's not a "signal booster".

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 6-Dec-2014 at 1:49 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2014, 1:25 PM   #4
DEDon

I corrected my hastily edited signature. I don't have a "signal booster." not sure where I got that idea. I think that I just need a "tweak" to get this channel.
Perhaps I should just communicate with my wife via cell phone while I attempt to adjust the direction on the roof. ?
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 6-Dec-2014, 1:26 PM   #5
DEDon

Thank you

...for your replies
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA
Old 6-Dec-2014, 1:44 PM   #6
Jake V

Using a cell phone to communicate with the person watching the tv is a good idea.

Use a compass to aim the antenna at 56 degrees. If that doesn't work you can try slowly moving a few degrees each way. If there is ample room, you can also adjust the antenna up and down on the mast. Sometimes a few inches makes all the difference.

Also, check all your connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

If none of that works, and if you have splitters or older coax (etc.) you might also try running a new length of coax directly from the antenna to the television (through a window or door) to test. That could help you troubleshoot if the issue is in the distribution system.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2014, 3:55 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You can try re-adjusting the aim of your antenna as described. If one of your TVs has a built in "signal meter", pull that up on channel 2 (if allowed) and tweak the antenna for best results on 2 without damaging reception of anything else.

Low-VHF is particularly susceptible to locally-produced local electrical noise that can't be mitigated, so don't be to surprised or disappointed if things don't turn out quite the way you want.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Dec-2014, 2:25 PM   #8
DEDon

I am thanking everyone for their input. I am awaiting the arrival of a new Rotor that I ordered and an inexpensive compass (can't believe I've waited this long to own one). When these arrive, I'll quit stressing and re-establish my ability to tweak this issue from inside the comforts of my home.
Still find it strange that two has fallen off the reception since it is in the exact same line of direction as many of the Philly stations to my NE.
I'll provide an update, once my new rotor is up-and-running. (I had over-tightened the coax connection on the Eagle Aspen and snapped the mounts of that connector on the rotor circuit board. I attempted to get the right part and solder in a replacement but, never found the right configuration for the RG6 connector so I ordered a CM rotor.)
Regarding a meter on the TV, it has one but is visible only for those channels that are strong enough to be included in the auto-channel scan. This newer TV doesn't have an Add feature so I can't add Channel 2. to the channel line up unless signal strength is strong enough to be picked up.
Again, thanks for your inputs.
Samsung 55UH8500FXZA

Last edited by DEDon; 10-Dec-2014 at 2:28 PM.
Old 10-Dec-2014, 3:45 PM   #9
tomfoolery

What I've found to be just as good in some cases is to use the map function on this site (right side of home page), putting the icon right over the actual location of the antenna using the satellite view, and clicking the box marked "Show lines pointing to each transmitter" to get a visual of your target and some landmark, even another building. You have to be careful with a compass, as the steel pole can effect it.

I've also used a large sailboat compass to aim antennas, but I found it more useful to get the compass away from all metal and eyeball a landmark, moving so the antenna is between me and the target landmark, then adjust the antenna to that landmark. Fine tune from there.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote