TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 4-Dec-2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Phantek

Antenna Recommendations

Hi everyone,

First off, my TV Fool Signal Analysis Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dfaf7492f87b1c

Currently, I just have one TV on the ground floor. I am using a small VHF/UHF powered antenna located right beside the TV. In this setup, I get the following channels pretty well (under normal weather conditions):
  • CBOT-DT (4.1)
  • CHOT-DT (40.1)
  • CBOFT-DT (9.1)
  • CICO-DT (24.1)

Unfortunately, there are some additional channels that I would like to get, but am currently unable to.
  • Any of the PBS stations
  • CJOH-DT (13.1) - the report says I should get this channel quite well
  • Not a priority, but any of the other American channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.)

I live in a hilly area, with a hill directly on the south side of my house.

I am looking at purchasing an antenna to install inside my attic. I know that is not ideal, but dealing with the wife and all. Fortunately I have plenty of space up in the attic as the roof is pretty vaulted.

Any recommendation on a setup to achieve what I am looking for? Thanks in advance for your help.
Phantek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Welcome, Phantek
Quote:
I am using a small VHF/UHF powered antenna located right beside the TV.
What antenna, by make and model, are you using?
Quote:
CJOH-DT (13.1) - the report says I should get this channel quite well
Yes, it is listed as having about the same strength as the other channels, but it is a VHF-High channel, and the other channels are on UHF. My guess us that your antenna doesn't do as well on VHF as on UHF.

It is the real channel number that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51

Also, the noise level on VHF is higher than on UHF. You might have some interference to CJOH, even from the TV itself, which is close to the antenna. Also, only 2.660 kW out of 19.000 kW ERP is sent in your direction by the transmitter. You can see the hills in the signal path in the terrain profile. The transmitter is on the left, your location is on the right.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...dALLTV%26n%3d5

The signal loss in the attic is difficult to predict because of differences in construction. A metal roof or aluminum siding will block signals, as will trees and other buildings. I suggest you make a temporary test in the attic before drilling any holes. Try an Antennas Direct DB4e for UHF and an MCM 30-2475 for CJOH aimed at 249 degrees magnetic. The two antennas should be combined with a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

If the signals are too weak, add a Channel Master 7778 preamp.

PBS is going to be more difficult. When you are making your tests, try aiming the DB4e at 139 and 167 degrees magnetic with a preamp. If you get almost enough signal, try a Solid Signal HDBX91 for PBS.

The other US channels will probably only come in with unusual tropospheric propagation.

Last edited by rabbit73; 6-Dec-2016 at 1:44 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Dec-2016, 11:11 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

I see nothing that makes me believe that an attic antenna will get anything from the US except, perhaps, very sporadically.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2016, 1:23 PM   #4
rickbb

My advise would be to wait until the wife is going to be gone somewhere all day and have some one with a bucket lift come and install a roof top.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Dec-2016, 2:33 PM   #5
Phantek

First off, let me thank everyone here. I think this is the first forum I have ever posted on where the first three responses were not some condescending insults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73
What antenna, by make and model, are you using?
Let me get back to you on that. It literally was a freebie that someone gave to me, used. I will try and hunt down the details. Suffice it to say that it is not impressive.

Thanks for your recommendations, rabbit73... I will take a look at what you recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech
I see nothing that makes me believe that an attic antenna will get anything from the US except, perhaps, very sporadically.
What are your thoughts on a rooftop mount, in that case? Am I still looking at needing a tower, or something more involved like that? No guarantees I can even pull of a rooftop mount, but at least it would be good to know if that might even have too low of a probability of success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb
My advise would be to wait until the wife is going to be gone somewhere all day and have some one with a bucket lift come and install a roof top.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Thanks rick. No offence, but I do not plan on taking your advice. I'm too old to start trying that!
Old 6-Dec-2016, 2:36 PM   #6
Phantek

Oh, by the way... I built the house, so I know the construction materials used. Engineered wood siding, asphalt/fiberglass shingles... standard plywood base. No other fun stuff between where the antenna would be and the sky... aside from the million nails used to hold everything together.