TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 1-Aug-2016, 8:35 PM   #1
Sev

Question 1960's Antenna Identification Help Please.

I just picked up 3 antenna's for a song.
The first one is 177 inches in length. Looks like it saw little use.
No name on the box. However, it is dated 1965.
Any idea of the bandwidth is will pick up now that everything is digital?

The second is 180 inches in length. FM antenna?

The third is obviously a 4 bay bowtie. Looks well built. The distance from the elements and reflector is about 4 inches. Each element is 8 1/4 inches.

Thanks guys.

Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Sev

The first looks similar to this JFD.

Old 2-Aug-2016, 1:54 PM   #3
rickbb

They should do well, the encoding is digital but the broadcast is still VHF and UHF. The monster VHF looks it was one of the "100 mile" antennas I used to see as a kid.

The bow tie looks like a knock off of the Mclapp 10 x 9 1/2 with a reflector added. It has the newer style of cross over near the ends instead of in the middle in his first design. He found it made a slight gain improvement that way.
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Aug-2016, 2:05 PM   #4
Sev

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbb View Post
They should do well, the encoding is digital but the broadcast is still VHF and UHF. The monster VHF looks it was one of the "100 mile" antennas I used to see as a kid.

The bow tie looks like a knock off of the Mclapp 10 x 9 1/2 with a reflector added. It has the newer style of cross over near the ends instead of in the middle in his first design. He found it made a slight gain improvement that way.
Thanks Rick.
I think I am going to mount the VHF Antenna. See what it picks up.
It probably hasnt seen a pole in 40 years.
I am not sure current transformer wires will be long enough to reach the mounting bolts. The space between the 2 is quite wide.

I was thinking the bowtie would be a good template for me to attempt to replicate.
Old 2-Aug-2016, 10:51 PM   #5
Sev

I put what I think is the JFD antenna on a mast today.

Lost a bunch of fringe channels . It is not picking anything up past 53 miles.
However, I did pick up 4 stations from my local transmitters (4-7 miles out) that I had not seen before.
Everything I get is edge 2 supposedly. Rock solid at 100% on my Avermedia stick.
Old 3-Aug-2016, 6:22 PM   #6
Nascarken
Banned

1960,VHF was a tv antenna at one time

We'll I see the coils of wire on the top of the antenna, HOOKED UP to each radial that is not a tv antenna, it is VHF/Hf ham radio antenna I think it might be for 6,meters, I saw a picture on a website where someone who TOOK a VHF TV ANTENNA,that looks like the one you have, and added the coils of wire to the antenna,, to make it a ham radio antenna,LoL leave it to the smart ham radio operator's RfSteven,from HD form, I am glad you posted it here.
Nascarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Aug-2016, 8:12 PM   #7
Sev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarken View Post
We'll I see the coils of wire on the top of the antenna, HOOKED UP to each radial that is not a tv antenna, it is VHF/Hf ham radio antenna I think it might be for 6,meters, I saw a picture on a website where someone who TOOK a VHF TV ANTENNA,that looks like the one you have, and added the coils of wire to the antenna,, to make it a ham radio antenna,LoL leave it to the smart ham radio operator's RfSteven,from HD form, I am glad you posted it here.
Well, that is an interesting twist.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
Nascarken
Banned

We'll s e v I finally found ,a new used ANTENNACRAFT MXV 5100,SERIES it's 15Ft long high and low,vhf,I don't no what the DB gain Is on it,and a 3BG17,Antennascarft and I think it's a high and low VHF,I don't know witch one to use with my stacked side BY side,91XG at 90Ft high,and the VHF below the 91XG at 85Ft high, what do you suggest I should use and the Antennacraft MXV 5100,SERIES the guy who I bought it from used is for LIKE 3 months I could not believe the shape it was in,like new I couldn't get the antenna back in to the box ,and my money out fast enough,so needless to say I paid him his $50,dollars and put it in my car,and I still could not believe that I just got my hands on this antenna,by Antennascarft,that is out of business and no where to be found,it's cool AT,15FT long,
Old 4-Aug-2016, 1:17 AM   #9
Nascarken
Banned

The last antennas is a uhf

Ha Steven and the last antennas I believe that it is an Antennacraft uhf, antenna because of the blue plastic ,that they used to make their antennas. And the 2nd ANTENNA is a home made antenna, or it could be an old channel master Form the 1950, WHEN channel master and winegard were hot and heavy in competition with eachother,and I think it's a low band VHF because of it's long element's and spacing of its element's.We'll good luck with YOUR ANTENNAS and have a good day.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Sev

Quote:
We'll s e v I finally found ,a new used ANTENNACRAFT MXV 5100,SERIES it's 15Ft long high and low,vhf,I don't no what the DB gain Is on it,and a 3BG17,Antennascarft and I think it's a high and low VHF,I don't know witch one to use with my stacked side BY side,91XG at 90Ft high,and the VHF below the 91XG at 85Ft high, what do you suggest I should use and the Antennacraft MXV 5100,SERIES the guy who I bought it from used is for LIKE 3 months I could not believe the shape it was in,like new I couldn't get the antenna back in to the box ,and my money out fast enough,so needless to say I paid him his $50,dollars and put it in my car,and I still could not believe that I just got my hands on this antenna,by Antennascarft,that is out of business and no where to be found,it's cool AT,15FT long,
Are you the gentleman that got those 2 antenna's from the mod in the WTFDA forum?
This the one?

Personally I would just that antenna out to me and save yourself the trouble cranking down that 90 footer.

Seriously though Pete Higgins and some of the other far more experienced guys would be a better source for suggestions than I.

Old 4-Aug-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
Nascarken
Banned

No Steve I think I will hold on tight to the MXV 5100,SERIES but the paper work that comes with the Antenna does not tell you what the DB gain Is that is strange to me but that first antenna you have,you can ship it out to me,LoL I will put it to good use,well Steven have a good day,
Old 4-Aug-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
Sev

Quote:
No Steve I think I will hold on tight to the MXV 5100,SERIES but the paper work that comes with the Antenna does not tell you what the DB gain Is that is strange to me but that first antenna you have,you can ship it out to me,LoL I will put it to good use,well Steven have a good day,
LOL. I hear ya.

It appears the first antenna is a Radioshack 15k1096X
I was supplied the link.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/ca.../1965-a_small/
Page 120.

Last edited by Sev; 4-Aug-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 12:50 PM   #13
Nascarken
Banned

We'll Steven that from don't work but I will have to say about the Antennacraft MXV 5100SERIES it's cheaply made,I don't know what the price was when Antennacraft was selling them,but I can't comeplane about the price I paid for it,I didn't have to pay for shipping costs LOL it was 2 town from my house,but what an antenna,well Steven THANK YOU for your comeback on this subject,Ps wate till the LOW VHF channel's TACK OFF,and keep those old school outdoor tv antennas because they still work just fine,and don't let nobody try to tell you differently but I still say about that first antenna is true,TAKE the coils off of it and it will be back to a high and low VHF TV ANTENNA,Ps my antenna is bigger than yours,LoL and the guy who you are talking to on high D,from well it looks like the LOW VHF IS working because I have a stellar Labs, high VHF outdoor ANTENNA and I receive 17channels with it,at 40Ft high with a channel master ,7777amp,,and receive channels in New York city,and C t STATE W T N H channel 8 ,

Last edited by Nascarken; 4-Aug-2016 at 1:52 PM.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 2:08 PM   #14
Sev

Quote:
We'll Steven that from don't work but I will have to say about the Antennacraft MXV 5100SERIES it's cheaply made,I don't know what the price was when Antennacraft was selling them,but I can't comeplane about the price I paid for it,I didn't have to pay for shipping costs LOL it was 2 town from my house,but what an antenna,well Steven THANK YOU for your comeback on this subject,Ps wate till the LOW VHF channel's TACK OFF,and keep those old school outdoor tv antennas because they still work just fine,and don't let nobody try to tell you differently but I still say about that first antenna is true,TAKE the coils off of it and it will be back to a high and low VHF TV ANTENNA,Ps my antenna is bigger than yours,LoL and the guy who you are talking to on high D,from well it looks like the LOW VHF IS working because I have a stellar Labs, high VHF outdoor ANTENNA and I receive 17channels with it,at 40Ft high with a channel master ,7777amp,,and receive channels in New York city,and C t STATE W T N H channel 8 ,
LOL. It is not the size of the antenna that matters. It's the reception it gets
The more information the better. Cross referencing forums is always a good thing.
By the way. I am originally from the Kingston area of NY.

I would hate to ruin perfectly good vintage antenna by modifying in that way. Even if it meant capturing a broader range of frequencies.

I am using an RCA preamp.

Currently it is grabbing channels
2.1, 2.2, 2.3 (41) PBS
5.1, 5.2, 5.3 (5) NBC
11.1, 11.2 (11) CBS
19.1, 19.2, 19.3, 19.4 (27) ABC
36.1, 36.2, 36.3, 36.4 (36)
39.1, 39.2 (38) FOX
68.1, 68.2, 68.3, 68.4

and a couple odd very weak channels that come and go.
I really need to find a tilt tower to significantly increase my elevation.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 2:28 PM   #15
Nascarken
Banned

Ha Steven yes I receive that 2,1 2,2 5,1 w c v B out of BOSTON MASSACHUSETTS 65Miles signal strength of,70 now I can't wait until I put together the 91XG and the Antennacraft MXV 5100,SERIES at 90Ft high,and then I will use a Johansson amplifier kit that I bought out of New York city so what is your antenna set-up and how high is it now and where is it mounted and I live in southbrige Massachusetts
Old 4-Aug-2016, 2:39 PM   #16
Nascarken
Banned

Ha Steven sell me the rat shack ANTENNA I will pay $50,for it?LoL I will come to new York and get it A's A P ,but they say when you do VHF you should use RG,11 copper not copper c steal,all Dxers use a separate feed lion's one for vhf and one uhf and by the way what does your tv fool report SAY and the odd channels that you are receiving try them at 1 to2 Am they say that it's the best time for DXing hobby I don't know if you are into that BUT from now till November is the best time at night time when it cools down at 1 to 2 AM try it out this week end and let me no what happens but once it get hot and the sun comes back out they dissapear,but it is so cool when it happens you should be able to get Washington state or northcaralin GOOD luck and have a good day

Last edited by Nascarken; 4-Aug-2016 at 3:06 PM.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 2:53 PM   #17
Sev

I am in East TN
PS. It is Sev. Not Steven. LOL

My current setup is for testing. The antenna is only about 25 above the ground and 11 above the roof.
Not near optimum. Probably losing some signal from reflection.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51344f06feb1cd

Last edited by Sev; 4-Aug-2016 at 3:01 PM.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 3:23 PM   #18
Nascarken
Banned

Sorry about that s e v, if the antenna is pointed at 41,W E T P 2,1 my be the odd channels could be W W L P 22,witch is high VHF the tv tower is in westfield Massachusetts but I all so THINK if you put the ANTENNA up an other 10Ft I think you might be able to receive them day or night,
Old 4-Aug-2016, 4:26 PM   #19
Sev

Quote:
Sorry about that s e v, if the antenna is pointed at 41,W E T P 2,1 my be the odd channels could be W W L P 22,witch is high VHF the tv tower is in westfield Massachusetts but I all so THINK if you put the ANTENNA up an other 10Ft I think you might be able to receive them day or night,
Higher is def better
I am basically in a hollow with an alleyway going north east to south west.
Luckily it is pretty close to being in line with the transmission towers.
I clearcut the neighbors property of trees for the most part. Have a few more to go.
When I swing the antenna around I receive 2.1 at about 90% according to the meter on the avermedia stick.
As far as channels 7, 19 and 22 @ 293 degrees go. No go.
I do pick up trip 37.1 and 38.1. No picture though.

If I swing the antenna to 260-255 degrees I get none of those channels.

Now when I have my old decrepit realistic antenna up I do bring in over 70 channels as far out as 100 miles in Knoxville.
Old 4-Aug-2016, 7:52 PM   #20
Sev

Quote:
Ha Steven and the last antennas I believe that it is an Antennacraft uhf, antenna because of the blue plastic ,that they used to make their antennas. And the 2nd ANTENNA is a home made antenna, or it could be an old channel master Form the 1950, WHEN channel master and winegard were hot and heavy in competition with eachother,and I think it's a low band VHF because of it's long element's and spacing of its element's.We'll good luck with YOUR ANTENNAS and have a good day.
I took down the Archer and mounted the 4 bay.
It is pulling in channels from 100+ miles out.
I am also getting 90% from 39.1 & 39.1 FOX. Which I have been unable to receive to date.

Picked up 6.2 GetTV which I had not seen before.

Did lose 5.1, 2 and 3 (CW)

All in all pretty surprised about the amount of channels that little bowtie is receiving.