TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 17-Dec-2013, 4:22 PM   #1
abbasteps

Reception - Toronto

here's my graph for my reception:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46aee4dfea0be9

I just install a ClearStream2™ Complete Long-Range VHF/UHF Digital TV (DTV) Antenna at the roof top balcony. I follow the direction of the graph and point to 168 degree.

I am having issue getting FOX. I can get Fox if I place only at a certain place but if I move it just a little bit the signal will be lost. Would it be fixed if I get an pre-amp, like Channel Master 7778?

Also, I can get ABC and CBS if I place at a totally different location on the balcony and that location is different than where I can get FOX. I don't understand why. From the graph, I should be able to get those 3 channels.

I already cancel my cable, but I would like to get ABC, CBS, FOX and possibly NBC. I know NBC will be difficult because it says so in the graph. But if I get ABC, CBS and FOX, I will be very happy.

Any advice to place the antenna, or should I purchase pre-amp, or my antenna is not good enough?

Any advice will be appreciate.

Thanks
Wilson
abbasteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Dec-2013, 5:43 PM   #2
teleview

+=>
------
Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.??

Please clarify what you mean by , "at the roof top balcony".

What direction and directions can see from the roof top balcony??

What directions do the windows face??

What floor is your living space??

What is the top floor??
Old 18-Dec-2013, 4:40 PM   #3
abbasteps

Here's more information about my location. Thanks.

Is this a , house , town home , condo , apartment , mobile home , motor home , or etc.?? - It is a 3 storey house (a semi-detached home)

Please clarify what you mean by , "at the roof top balcony". - On the 3rd floor, we can walk out to a roof top balcony. The antenna is
placed on the 3rd floor deck facing 160 degrees south east on the
north west side of the house. The CN tower is west of you and the
lake is south of you.

What direction and directions can see from the roof top balcony?? The CN tower is west of you and the
lake is south of you.

What directions do the windows face?? I put the antenna outside the house

What floor is your living space?? The TV is on the first floor and the second floor. I ran a 50ft cable from the antenna to the basement cable box and from there the cable go to the each floor outlet

What is the top floor?? 3rd floor, so I estimate the antenna is about 25ft off the ground. I didnt put the antenna on the roof, just on the 3rd floor balacony.
abbasteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Dec-2013, 7:21 PM   #4
teleview

+=>
------
I agree with you , with the CS2V antenna on the roof top deck , and reception is not , obstructed , impeded , blocked , by the roof and building , reception of , WUTV FOX , WIVB CBS , WKBW ABC , should be no problem at all.

---------

A thought , if you have had cable tv service in the past , and you have cable delivered internet service , the cable delivered internet service must be on a Separate coax not connected to the antenna system and any other cable delivered service must be on a Separate coax not connected to the antenna system.

Also if you have had satellite delivered service , make sure all satellite system componets are removed and not connected to the antenna system.

Yes the coaxes that we're used for the cable system or satellite system can be used for the antenna system.
--------------------------------------

Now return attention to the antenna system.

As a Test , try aiming the CS2V at about 180 degree magnetic compass direction , Yes I know the Tv stations are at about 166 degree magnetic compass direction. However sometimes reception will be better if the antenna is not aimed straight on at the Tv transmitter.

And as always , the antenna aim direction is adjusted for best reception.

As a Test , connect a continues length of coax from the antenna to 1 Tv.

Digital Broadcast Tv Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

What is reception like now??

----------------------------------------

Yes you can try the CM7778 preamp , it might help with the USA Tv stations.

But those local strong signal strength Canada Tv stations , the signal strengths might push the limit of the CM7778 preamp to handle strong signals.

----------------------------------------

If still having reception situations/problems.

Install a bigger antenna.

And start the reception process with , no preamplifier , no power injector , no power supply.

To reach out for , WGRZ-DT Real UHF channel 33 , NBC , Antenna Tv.

And WBBZ-DT Real VHF channel 7 Tv , Me-Tv , Raycom Sports , This Tv.

Install a , http://www.antennacraft.net , HBU55 antenna , and aim the HBU55 at a starting antenna aim direction of about 170 degree magnetic compass direction.

Can also test reception with the HBU55 antenna with a continues length of coax connected directly to 1 TV.

And can also do the Double Rescan.

--------------------------------------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. .

http://www.saveandreplay.com.

http://www.trentondistributors.com.

Last edited by teleview; 19-Dec-2013 at 2:38 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.