TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Apr-2013, 2:49 PM   #1
topaz_n29

Cold weather reception

we have a prob. when the weather turns warmer.
when the winter was very cold..we can get ch. 6,7,9,13,35
now we are lucky to get 7,6,13.we can do anything about the weather..lol..is there anything we can do tho otherwise..hubby has turned, raised, lowered and all with antenna..nothing helps....i have tried sopying said co-ordinates and pasting here..it will not accept any address i put in..tried section #..road address..nothing..help please..thx Gail
topaz_n29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2013, 2:53 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Use the "Online TV Maps" feature.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2013, 4:08 PM   #3
teleview

Go to the tvfool home page and click on >>Start MAPS<<.

Put in some address or zip code that is around your area or some where else.

When you get the map , Move the pointer to your Exact location , move the pointer to the place you have receiving antenna.

25 feet antenna height is a reference starting antenna height that provides a good idea of reception.

If your antenna is higher then 25 feet then use that antenna height.

Click on , Make Radar Map , button.

Copy the information in the address box/line at the top of the computer screen , on to a paper.

As a reference to know what the address box is , The address box starts like this , http://

At your post here at tvfool at the top of this 'box' is a blue circle with a chain link.

Click on the blue circle with the chain link.

In that box/line copy the information that you copied from the address box/line at the top of the computer screen.
Old 11-Apr-2013, 5:46 PM   #4
topaz_n29

i did..i tried all the addresses we have including section #..everything..keeps saying address not recognized..Gail
Old 11-Apr-2013, 5:49 PM   #5
topaz_n29

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1dda36b3bb85f2

hope this works..Gail
Old 11-Apr-2013, 6:04 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

You've copied a link successfully. Were you able to move the on-screen pointer to your exact location on the map?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Apr-2013, 7:09 PM   #7
topaz_n29

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddaa23795c3c1
this is so confusing..i'm sorry..Gail
Old 11-Apr-2013, 7:44 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

You're doing fine... Your latest TV Fool report is free of obvious warnings that would cause us to wonder if it's accurate.

To confirm, based on the coordinates shown, your location is about 50 miles east of Winnipeg, near the junctions of route 15 & 11. If this is accurate, the signals available to you are very weak. Only the very largest antennas will give you a chance at reception.

Can you consider the construction of a tower? If you have a tall building available, how high is the roof peak? Added height may provide access to more signal strength.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 11-Apr-2013, 8:43 PM   #9
topaz_n29

we are about 13 kil. west of that junction..impossible to build a tower.(we are pensioners)..we don't have any tall buildings.whatsoever..

it is on the roof..

it's only in warmer weather our channels are limited..and during the day..early evening..
early morning..late night more channels..but the main thing is that it is colder in the morning and night of course..so then we do get more channels..other than argue with God lol....how do we rectify the cold/warm situation??..thx..Gail
Old 11-Apr-2013, 9:15 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz_n29 View Post
we are about 13 kil. west of that junction..impossible to build a tower.(we are pensioners)..we don't have any tall buildings.whatsoever..

it is on the roof..

it's only in warmer weather our channels are limited..and during the day..early evening..
early morning..late night more channels..but the main thing is that it is colder in the morning and night of course..so then we do get more channels..other than argue with God lol....how do we rectify the cold/warm situation??..thx..Gail
Given the fact that the terrain is fairly flat, one can assume that even if your report is off a few Kilometers, it still provides a fair idea of the signal conditions you are dealing with.

The ideal solution from a technical point of view would be to increase the mounting height of the antenna. The higher you go, the more signal will be available for an antenna to intercept. You also may be able to avoid the signal robbing effects caused by trees and other obstructions. The next best option would be to use the largest available antenna(s) (if you are not already doing so). An example would be an Antennas Direct 91XG (to receive the real channels 14 and up) and an Antennacraft Y10713 (to receive real channels in the range of 7 through 13). Another example would be a Winegard HD7698P which is designed to receive real channels 7 and higher.

Do you know the make and model of your existing antenna?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 11-Apr-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
topaz_n29

rca....ANT3038XR

CM-7777
Titan 2
pre-amp..thx..Gail
Old 11-Apr-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

That's a very capable 'All Channel' antenna. It's possible that you can do slightly better in the UHF range with a big UHF only antenna, but my opinion is that added height will provide more benefit than any other single improvement.
Old 13-Apr-2013, 4:07 PM   #13
topaz_n29

ty so much for all your help (and patience).hubby is going to try and add another 4' of pipe to heighten it..if it helps he will have to run cables attached to the roof to hold it..due to the very bad winds we get..it would have to be stablized..thx again..Gail
Old 13-Apr-2013, 4:46 PM   #14
GroundUrMast

Please let us know what the results are.
Old 14-Apr-2013, 7:19 AM   #15
teleview

I would like to be of more help.

However , reverse engineering to the location , as far as I can tell shows no building structures for quite some distance , and moving the pointer to building structures around the area throughs the mileage/kilometers and reception numbers off.

Even so , the Tv reception Signal Strengths are Very Weak.

And the 2 Edge Path = hills/rolling tundra , obstructions across the distance between the Tv transmitters and the reception location and changes in the density of the air makes it Tuff to get reliable reception.

As near as I can tell with limited information of location and or moving the pointer to locations around the area , looks like antenna heights of more then 100 feet high are required to have reliable reception.

There is a situation of reception known as - ground wave reception.

The signal strengths improve close to the ground.

At the tvfool , I tried lowering the antenna down to 1~~10 feet above ground at many locations around the area , however the signal strengths were very little improved.

Even so , the Actual testing of reception has to be done with the antenna close to the ground.

The reception is tried at various heights and locations closer to the ground.

Ground wave reception is ->100% Experimental <-.

I am not giving up.

As a TEST to check.

Recommend replace the matching transformer (balun) with a New matching transformer that connects the antenna to the coax.

Recommend use New loooong coax and and New coaxes to connect every thing up.

Run the New loooong coax through a open door or window direct the Tv.

Check reception with and with out the preamp , when testing reception with out the preamp , the preamp , power injector , power supply , Must Be Completely Disconnected.

I could recommend a different antenna and amplifier , Winegard HD7698P antenna and a KitzTech , KT-200- Booster amplifier , However I can not say that reliable reception will happen.

There is a way to receive free satellite Tv channels , known as FTA = Free To Air Satellite Tv. http://www.ftalist.com , http://www.saveandreplay.com , sells the small dish and receiver.

It is interesting that more , Canadians and other peoples around the world know about and use FTA , and very few people that were/are born in the USA even know about FTA and FTA is receivable here in the USA.

Generational Americans , really do not know much of anything.

Here is more information about FTA. http://www.global-cm.net.

KU Band is the Small Dish.

C-Band is the Big Dish , more and more free channels are on the big dish.

And there is http://www.shawdirect.com a pay satellite service.

Last edited by teleview; 14-Apr-2013 at 8:24 PM.