TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Nov-2011, 1:45 PM   #1
doubler

Need help want to cut Sat.

Hi,
I want to eave mount an antenna on my house about 30' I already have a channel master 7777. I am looking for some antenna advice to receive Balt. and Dc on 1 antenna w/o dual ant. or rotator. A rotator is an option down the road just short on cash right now. My garage is setup with Rca 3038Xr at (15') ant and a cheapo wally mart amp it receives most Balt and some DC channels. Advice is appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4bbaca3791e9a4
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2011, 12:28 AM   #2
doubler

Bump -Any recomendations?
Old 8-Nov-2011, 2:13 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Any antenna with the gain needed to receive the DC signals will be too directional to expect simultaneous reception from edge path signals 50° off the forward beam.

A Winegard HD7698P or a combination of an Antennas Direct XG-91 and a 10 element high-VHF yagi (Y-10713 or YA-1713) would be my choice to chase down the DC signals. A preamp such as the Winegard HDP269 or Antennas Direct CPA-19 would be needed for the weaker signals.

Keep the RCA if it's in good shape, mount it higher, aimed at Baltimore. Add the second antenna or combination if the DC market is worth it to you. If you're not interested in a HTPC with multiple tuners, an A/B switch would be practical alternative to a rotator.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 8-Nov-2011 at 2:18 AM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
doubler

Thanks for the input. Im going to keep the Rca on the garage(detached) and bu a new antenna for the house, do think the Winegard HD7698P at 30' in combination with a rotaor woul be the best choice? For now mutiple antennas is probably out because the wife thinks any antenna is ugly.
Old 8-Nov-2011, 7:05 PM   #5
GroundUrMast

The HD7698P will have more gain on channel 7 and higher. The RCA offers support for channel 2 through 6. If your don't care about reception of W22DA (Licensed to Three Angels Broadcasting) or the two analog signals on CH-4 and CH-6, then the HD7698P will be a better antenna for you.

Mounted on a rotator, you should expect to see most of the full service stations out of Baltimore and DC. Your CM-7777 amplifier should fine, I would leave the FM trap "In".

Old 9-Nov-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
doubler

I am not going to use the rca on the house I want to buy a new antenna. And honestly these are the stations I want to receive Baltimore
(2,11,13,24,45,54) and out of DC (4,5,9,20,50) I will get a rotator and use the 7777 on what ever antenna I get so what would you suggest for picking up those stations? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Old 9-Nov-2011, 3:09 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

I'm sticking with my recommendation of the HD7698P.

You own the CM-7777 so use it. If not, I would suggest an Antennas Direct CPA-19 or Winegard HDP-269. Both are able to handle higher signal levels and the CPA-19 has a bit better noise figure.

For a consumer grade rotator, look at the Channel Master CM9521, Antennacraft TDP2 or NTE U-105. All of those would benefit from the addition of the NTE TB-105 thrust bearing.

The next step up would be the Hy-Gain AR-40. It's price implies a dramatic difference in strength, quality and performance.