TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2014, 3:16 PM   #1
BroadwayJoe

Need help adding 2nd Antenna

I am currently running a Winegard HD9095P antenna aimed at about 235 degrees with a Winegard HDP-269 preamp mounted at about 10' above the house (picture is a 5' mast, I have doubled the height since taken), approximately 30-35 off ground.

Here is my TV Fool Report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243dea874aeef

I currently have issues with reception on all FOX channels. 8.1, 46.1 are weak if I even get them. I would like to fix this asap with football season approaching.

My antenna is pointed toward Charlotte, and I pick up most of the channels in that direction. To give a an idea on the degree range I am picking up, 2.1, 12.1, 58.1

I want to add a second antenna, pointing the opposite direction to pick up the channels toward the Raleigh area that I am missing as there are plenty more availble.

I have a clear shot at the sky. I have a 10' mast ( picture is a 5' mast, I have doubled the height since taken) and could space the antennas a few feet apart.

How do I accomplish this giving me a gain and not loss? If I use a signal combiner, and replace my preamp with a dual preamp, will this accomplish my goal?

I like http://www.solidsignal.com/, item numbers would be helpful. Thank you.

antenna.jpg

Last edited by BroadwayJoe; 1-Sep-2014 at 3:33 PM.
BroadwayJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
How do I accomplish this giving me a gain and not loss?
You cannot, the physics don't allow it.

You can combine the antennas and see if it works, but such combinations are a crap shoot.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Sep-2014, 1:28 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

Consider this solution... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=2882

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Sep-2014, 8:43 AM   #4
teleview

+=>

I recommend a -->2 Separate Antenna System.<--

With 1 Preamp , HDP-269.

And all Separate coaxes and devices to make up a 2 Separate antenna system.

--------------

Disconnect the preamp unit from the HD9095 UHF Antenna and aim the HD9095 antenna at about 131 degree magnetic compass direction.

The Tv Stations to the East South East are All Strong Signal Strength Tv Stations.

--------------

Install a , Antennas Direct , DB8e UHF antenna about 3 feet above the HD9095 UHF antenna.

Aim the , DB8e antenna at about 246 degree magnetic compass.

Connect the HDP-269 preamp to the , DB8e antenna.

--------------

The 2 Separate Antenna System coaxes and splitters and etc. will go to each location that you will like to have reception at.

--------------

A Tuner/Tuner Recorder will be at each location that you will have reception of the 2 Separate Antenna Systems.

The Tuner/Tuner Recorder is connected to 1 antenna system , the other antenna system is connected to the Tv.

The Tuner/Tuner Recorder is connected to a Tv input , HDMI or Component Video/Audio , or other input of the Tv.

http://www.epvision.com.

--------------

Is some effort to get the extra coaxes and splitter and device installed.

However , when is installed , Is Real Nice.

Makes it simple to change antennas.

You can start with 1 Tv location.

And then install the Separate Antenna System to other Tv locations at a later date.
Old 2-Sep-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
BroadwayJoe

If the antennas are mounted about 4-5' apart, one pointing at 245 degrees, the other at 125 degrees and I use a signal combiner like this one, wouldn't that work, or is it just a trial and error hit or miss type scenario?
Old 2-Sep-2014, 3:33 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

The CC-7870 is essentially just a 2-way splitter. It will not discriminate between either antenna input. So, if one antenna receives a clean signal and the other antenna receives a reflected version via a multi-path route, you can expect the 'combiner' to mix undesired signal with the desired. Often, you can have more raw power, while actually getting a lower quality signal. Sort of like adding dirty water to clean water... Yes, you have more liquid, but you may not want to drink it.

Your tuner won't be 'poisoned' by low quality signals so feel free to try a reversed splitter. If it works, great. If it doesn't work well, don't be too surprised.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Sep-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
BroadwayJoe

I did a ton or research, got feedback on other forums, and I concluded, if done properly, this would work. So I went for it. My conclusion was correct. I am currently picking up channels in both directions, clear as day. Counting sub channels, I am picking up 36 clear channels. I have another 6 or so that come in and out. I am reaching as far out as 76.3 miles without decline in signal quality.

Attached is a picture of the setup as well as channels I am receiving. One antenna is pointed at 246 degrees, the other at 133 degrees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dual antenna.jpg (33.9 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg Channels Received.JPG (74.3 KB, 522 views)

Last edited by BroadwayJoe; 14-Sep-2014 at 2:06 PM.