TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Apr-2014, 6:19 PM   #1
lilbrownjon

Question regarding coaxial cable length for pre-wired homes

Hello,

I bought my home brand new within the last 5 years. It is about 2600 square feet, and it is pre-wired for cable TV, internet, etc. for the living room, den, and four bedrooms.

I just installed an outdoor TV antenna, and it is mounted where my satellite dish used to be - on the side of the house, close to the junction box that feeds into the rest of the house.

Having said that, can anyone estimate approximately how long the coaxial cable run would be between the antenna and each of the rooms? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. I'm really bad at estimating.

I'm in the process of troubleshooting spotty performance in an otherwise good signal location - hence the reason I'm asking.

-lilbrownjon
lilbrownjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2014, 7:21 PM   #2
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrownjon View Post
Hello,

I bought my home brand new within the last 5 years. It is about 2600 square feet, and it is pre-wired for cable TV, internet, etc. for the living room, den, and four bedrooms.

I just installed an outdoor TV antenna, and it is mounted where my satellite dish used to be - on the side of the house, close to the junction box that feeds into the rest of the house.

Having said that, can anyone estimate approximately how long the coaxial cable run would be between the antenna and each of the rooms? I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. I'm really bad at estimating.

I'm in the process of troubleshooting spotty performance in an otherwise good signal location - hence the reason I'm asking.

-lilbrownjon
Chances are, the number of runs and/ or splitters are causing more signal sag than any length of coax. Unless there are splitters dedicated to satellite use only, that are still in the system.

You will need to post your TVF Report for anybody to recommend antenna/ amplifier solutions.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2014, 7:37 PM   #3
lilbrownjon

Thanks Stereocraig. Forgot to include the report; my mistake:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b94cf7107748d

I probably should have kept this all in one thread - but here's the link to my original issue: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14371

And a quick update since I first posted that - it does appear that my "good" tv suffers from a bit of signal degradation, just not as much as the TV that was originally giving me issues.
lilbrownjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2014, 7:47 PM   #4
Stereocraig

Holy smokes, you live in a great reception area.
I remember the other thread.
Maybe if you could pick up a converter box on the cheap, rather than totally giving up on the TV. Unless you'd rather try an amp, first.

Maybe an amp would help steady things, but as close as you are, somebody else would know more about what to recommend, than I would.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Apr-2014, 7:49 PM   #5
teleview

+=>
----
Your other post has trouble shooting information.

The Tv reception signal strengths at your location are Strong Signal Strengths.

I did communications prewire and postwire in residential and business buildings for many years.

The coax wiring in and on a typical 2,600 square foot home will not be long enough to cause reception problems at your location for reception of the Tv stations in the Green and Yellow reception zones of the Tvfool report.

A antenna system amplifier Is Not Requird.

Trying to use a antenna system amplifier to Force Signal Through defective wiring will cause more problems.