TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Sep-2013, 5:40 AM   #1
rpca

Not able to receive KNTV-DT (11.1) in bay area

Hello,

I have a ClearStream 2V mounted on the roof, and able to receive most of the OTA channels. For some reason I couldn't get any signal at all for KNTV-DT (11.1). I get pretty strong signal (90% signal strength) for KGO-TV (7.1).
Since both channels are in VHF frequency, shouldn't I get KNTV as well? Do I need a dedicated VHF antenna?

Here's my tvfool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae0b5b197549

Thanks in advance.
rpca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Sep-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

As luck would have it, your signal path the Mt San Bruno is blocked by a hill while the paths to the other transmitter sites are not.

You will have to do one or both of the following:

1) Add an FM filter.
2) Move the antenna and try again. Repeat as needed.

When relying on diffracted signals due to obstructions in the direct signal path, it is necessary to search for a spot where everything happens to converge. This takes patience. It is also why all of our instructions say, in large red letters near the top, "Before attaching antenna to any surface TEST RECEPTION in that area".

Additionally, since the signals from San Bruno are obstructed, their signal power may be reduced far more (or less) than the predictions provided by the simulator. FM signals from Sutro, however, are not obstructed and will arrive at the antenna at their full strength, greatly increasing the odds of 2nd harmonic distortions which will fall into the channel range of 7-13. this is the reason for the suggestion of the FM filter. Radio Shack sells one for about $5 bucks or one can be ordered from us. It's easy to install so try it first.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 10-Sep-2013 at 10:32 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Sep-2013, 5:29 AM   #3
rpca

Thanks ADTech. I will try the FM filter this weekend. Should I install it near the antenna?
rpca is offline   Reply With Quote