TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 20-Aug-2014, 6:40 PM   #1
annie

What happened to my OTA signal? NorCal

Hi, I'm need help with a problem that I've been having since March of this year. Prior to March I had excellent OTA reception, getting channels as far away as San Mateo. But something happened in March that has disrupted my reception in a major way. I'm at my wits end, about to order satellite which is not what I want to do.
I live outside Sacramento in the foothills, use a Radio Shack HDX1000, with standard cable the run is about a 100' and have a new (12/13) digital tv and I had another digitial tv for about 4 years before. The antenna is about 20'-25' off the ground, mounted on the roof. I've changed out the antenna and cable (shortening it too) with no change in reception. Nothing in my home has changed.

Prior to March, as I mentioned earlier, I had excellent channel reception as listed below:

Channel...............Prior to March.................After March
2.1, 2.2................Depended on weather......Gone
3.1-3.2 …............Excellent..........................Interrupted and sporadic reception
5.1.......................Excellent..........................Gone
6.1, 6.2, 6.3.........Excellent..........................Excellent
7.1, 7.2................Sporadic...........................Gone
8.1thru 8.6...........Depended on weather......Gone
9.1, 9.2, 9.3.........Excellent..........................Sporadic
10.1-10.2.............Excellent..........................Interrupted and sporadic reception
13.1.....................Excellent..........................Has some major interruptions
15.1-15.2.............Didn't watch....................Interrupted and sporadic reception
19-1, 19.2............Didn't watch....................Interrupted and sporadic reception
20.1, 20.2............Excellent..........................Interrupted and sporadic reception
23.1, 23.2, 23.3...Excellent for QVC...........Interrupted and sporadic reception
29.1 thru 29.6......Excellent..........................Has some minor interruptions
31.1......................Excellent.........................Some interrupted and sporadic reception
32.1-32.6.............Depended on weather......Major interruptions and sporadic reception
33.1.....................Didn't watch.....................Don't watch
38.1-38-6.............Interrupted and sporadic..Gone
40-1, 40.2.............Excellent.........................Has some minor interruptions
42.1 thru 42.4......Interrupted and sporadic..Gone
44.1......................Interrupted and sporadic..Gone
50.1, 50.2.............Depended on weather......Sporadic
58-1, 58-2............Excellent..........................Has some minor interruptions
64.1, 64.3.............Excellent..........................Excellent

Most of the interruption is during the week, Monday thru Friday, on the weekends the interruptions seems to abate somewhat. The interruptions are either immediate (the channel signal is gone) or moderate/severe pixelation bouncing between no signal over a period of time anywhere from a few seconds to hours. The immediate loss of signal usually happens on the hour, i.e. 7:57 pm. (really weird!) and can go across many channels. When the pixelation occurs the best way to describe the interference is like a thermostat kicking on and a short time later a blower/motor starts, which is what I initially thought the interference was. The weather was cold and the coincidence of the interference starting on a Sunday, like someone had a bought a space heater in the neighborhood. After the weather warmed and the interference continues, guess that's not it.
Signal Analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f85b9f90447
Sorry for such a long post but I don't know where to turn and want to describe what's going on as best I can. Any ideas? Thank you so much for your help.
Annie
annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Aug-2014, 8:57 PM   #2
teleview

+=>

Reception should be Ok , even without a amplifier , of the Tv stations in the Green and Yellow reception zones of the tvfool report.

As a Test of reception that will eliminate all possible defective components.

I recommend instal a.

http://www.antennacraft.net.

HBU11K antenna.

or

ANT751 antenna.

The HBU11K and ANT751 are the same type and kind of antenna by competing manufactures.

Aim the HBU11K or ANT751 at about 238 degree magnetic compass direction.

--------------------

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna do not trust a , cell phone , tablet or etc. compass.

--------------------

Connect a NEW Continues Length of Coax to the New matching transformer and run the NEW Continues Length of Coax through a open door or window Direct to 1 Tv .

No couplers.

No splitters.

No amplifiers.

No etc. .

---------------------

Digital Tuners can develop -Digital Glitches- that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf.

------------

Also I am thinking the HDX1000 is installed at a location that is above the peak of the roof at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception , West , South West.

If so , then install the HBU11k or ANT751 at that location.

So that the HDX1000 can not interfere in any way , disconnect and remove all parts of the HDX1000 , Remove the antenna , Remove the power injector , Remove the power supply.

------------

What is reception like now??

------------

If reception is not Ok then interference of some type or kind is disrupting reception.

If reception is not Ok , there is the possibility that the Tuner of the Tv is defective.

----------------------------

Also know this.

As always , trees and tree leaves , plants and plant leaves , have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof , building , in the directions of reception.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflecting Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Best Practice for Reliable Reception is to install the antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type and kind in the directions of reception including your own , attic , roof , building.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Aug-2014 at 1:01 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 21-Aug-2014, 12:48 PM   #3
StephanieS

Hello Annie,

I've always been a skeptic of antennas with internal amplifiers. They often bring more fuss than benefit. In your situation, you really don't need it anyhow.

My first suspect would be the antennas internal amp either flaking out or sucking in some RF harmonic that happens to be strong. I have sporatically had interference on my Antennas Direct 91XG/RCA TVPRAMP1R combo. Where it comes from I am not sure. It normally settles down after 10 - 15 minutes.

I agree with Teleview a HBU11k or ANT751 are good suggestions for you because the radio shack antenna you are using has mediocre high VHF support. You need decent high VHF support for PBS and ABC. The HBU11 and ANT751 are true high-VHF designs for good to moderate signal areas.

When you say you've changed out the antenna... with the same model? What other models have you experimented with?

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2014, 4:05 PM   #4
annie

What happened to my OTA, NorCAl

Thank you Teleview and Stephanie for your replies. I tried the double scan, no luck, it just removed the channels that are corrupted.

My HDX1000 has done a great job bringing in signals. I changed out my old antenna for a new Antenna in April thinking that the old one had gone bad. My Antenna is pointed about 215*.

I noticed that Mike121182 is having the same problems I am. He's in Pittsburg, CA and me in the other direction But in looking at his maps, we are both having the same problem point toward the same apex.

Annie
Old 22-Aug-2014, 5:19 PM   #5
tomfoolery

Looking across your fool report and your before/after list, it doesn't appear that it matters what band you're trying to receive (high-vhf, uhf), as most channels seem to be affected. If it were me, I'd try the HBU11 or Ant751, with NO amplifier. You can get the HBU11 at a local Radio Shack.

Just a suspicion, but it seems like something is intermittently overloading the internal amplifier, which in turn is raising hell with everything going through it, especially TV signals, since those are the only thing you'll see. On the hour is just too convenient to be a coincidence.

The HBU11 is certainly cheap enough, and I believe RS has a generous return policy.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Aug-2014, 11:51 PM   #6
annie

I changed the antenna and that seems to have done the trick. I want to thank Teleview, Stephanie and Tomfoolery for your advice and help. Its great to have my tv back!
Again, thank you!!!
Annie
Old 23-Aug-2014, 3:30 AM   #7
teleview

+=>

What antenna and what did you do to have reception??
Old 23-Aug-2014, 4:01 AM   #8
StephanieS

Glad it worked out for you.

Cheers.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote