Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 3-Dec-2014, 3:14 PM   #1
ashevilleap

Antenna Suggestions for a Newbie

Link to TV Fool Report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2430e9cd6c1f7

Hi everyone,
I finally cancelled my ridiculously expensive cable subscription, and I have been enjoying OTA channels over the last few months. My signal has not been the strongest, and I am hoping to improve on that. The TV that I am primarily concerned with is located on the first floor of my house - I currently use a Mohu MH-474566 Leaf that is hanging from a nail in the wall, maybe 8 feet off the ground.

I am able to pull in about 12 channels, though many of them break up frequently. NBC (4.1) seems to be the strongest, and I can get ABC (13.1) without too much trouble. However, I seem to struggle with FOX (21.1) and especially CBS (can’t find it on 7.1, for some reason have a standard definition CBS channel that shows up on 54.

I am planning on purchasing a new roof-mounted antenna – there is an old DirectTV dish mounted on the corner of the house, directly beside where I have the TV located. This is about 15 feet off of the ground, and would allow me to run 20’ of coax through a window directly to the TV.
Unfortunately, it seems that my choice of channels is not located in a single direction, as I have multiple medium sized towns around me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an antenna that would be best suited to relatively close towers in multiple directions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Last edited by ashevilleap; 3-Dec-2014 at 3:27 PM.
ashevilleap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Dec-2014, 8:07 PM   #2
Tower Guy

You have stations coming from multiple directions. One potential scheme is a DB4e aimed at 192 degrees, a Y5-7-13 aimed at WLOS, and another Y5-7-13 aimed at WSPA. Couple the two VHF antennas together with a channel 13 Jointenna, and then add the VHF pair to the UHF with a UVSJ. Unfortunately, that leaves out an antenna aimed at a PBS station, but WUNF may work anyway.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote