TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Nov-2014, 4:55 PM   #1
Canadianeh

Attic UHF reception - Yagi-style or bay-style?

Good afternoon,

I was curious if there has been any definitive testing done to determine if Yagi-style UHF (ie: AD 91XG) or a bay-style antenna (ie: DB8 / DB8e) typically works better within an attic for near-fringe reception.

Additionally, I read that it is best to have the antenna as far away from the wall you are pointing through. Does this make sense? I'm dealing with a simple plywood wall and vinyl siding (not shooting through the roof or shingles).

Up to this point, I've been pretty much set on the 91XG based on effective gain for the channels I'm attempting to receive, but was curious if there was any definitive reason I should reconsider for a bay-style antenna.
Canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Nov-2014, 5:33 PM   #2
timgr

My understanding is that the DB8e is more sensitive than the 91XG, now that channels 51-69 have been eliminated from the TV band. This is when both panels are pointed in the same direction. Check the Antennas Direct for the technical documents.

I know that my DB8e worked great on my enclosed porch, aimed at the windows, at least with the local stations. Strangely, it did improve with addition of a preamp (for testing), even thought he cable was only about 20' long. More stations, and less pixelation from passing cars.

I don't know specifically about an "optimum" antenna for the attic - I expect it's one of those problems of "awful physics" where there are so many variables that you just can't predict much. I'd also expect that those that claim much in general about attic installations are pretty much talking out of their hats. I'd guess that the near field of an antenna, within which other objects adversely load it, would pretty much depend on the shape of the antenna... so one shape might be better than another for a specific attic. Or maybe not. Also, I speculate that the reflector on the back of the DB8e panels will shield it from local coupling in that direction some ... but maybe no more than the yagi reflector, if it has one.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote