TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 9-Oct-2011, 7:24 PM   #1
rivernut

Dunnellon reception issues

Thank you for TVfool and their expertise. It is greatly appreciated. My stats:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b54c032c6601

Followed suggestions for OTA TV reception. Got the antenna Winegard HD7696P plus the HDP269 pre-amp. Also a rotor. Rig is set up correctly and well, but during TV use, several stations(10.1 & 20.1) begin to fall out (pixels start to break up and view is visually impaired) and despite my trying to correct with the rotor. Also, before this event of deterioration, everything is working fine. And that is why it is baffling and frustrating(especially when watching a good NFL game). It seems almost like the signal or something is shifting or weakening. It's hard to describe. But it occurs, and any suggestions from you guys is appreciated. Thanks!
rivernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

To be sure we understand which signals are troublesome; Virtual Channel 10.1 is WTSP-CBS, Real Channel 10 and VC 20.1 is WCJB-ABC, RC-16... correct?

If so, both signals travel a more challenging '2-edge' path which makes them more susceptible to fading and atmospheric conditions.

Can you safely increase the mounting height of your antenna?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Oct-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Might be the preamp has gone bad. By pass all parts of the preamp the outside part and the inside part. Connect a coax from the antenna direct to one tv. What is the reception like now?? Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6-Sep-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
rivernut

Here we are in Dunnellon, FL 34432 again, same equipment as listed in above message. Everything was working reasonably well. Could only receive 20.1, 51.1, 5.1 , and nothing else. Since this is our weekend get-a-way place(only there once a month or so), this past weekend we rolled in to find absolutely no reception at all anywhere, despite the rotor. Inspected total rig, no burn marks at all(suspected maybe a lightning strike), and have no idea on how to check the pole amp located just below antenna on pole. Can I check that with an ohm meter or something or do I need some exotic test equipment? Don't know where to turn on this now? Any assistance would be appreciated!
Old 7-Sep-2012, 5:31 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Try removing the preamp and its power supply. It may be easier to simply pick up a new coax that's long enough to reach from the antenna to the TV or converter box. With the antenna pointed at WOGX and just one TV connected, no splitter, you should have no problem receiving a good signal without a preamp.

If you can receive one or more channels with this test cable, it would indicate you need to buy a new preamp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Sep-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
rivernut

Thanks, Ground. Seems like a reasonable way to troubleshoot and fix it simply. I imagine the pole amps are kind of flimsy anyway now that I give it some thought. Appreciate the feedback.
Old 7-Sep-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
rivernut

reception possibilities

I continue to offer my thanks for you pros out there who continually assist us novices in this industry!! But I've been thinking( maybe that could be dangerous) about my antenna choice for my Dunnellon location. The TV fool maps show me I have about eight stations that are close in for me, the farthest is 44 miles, the rest closer. Also, these stations are to my North, some to my East and several to my south Southeast. I am curious, is there an antenna that can conceivably receive all these stations without the use of a rotor? Do they make such an animal? It would seem like it would make life easier for me in my situation. Just thinking if it is doable or not. Again, thanks for your continued input!!