TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jan-2015, 11:26 PM   #1
Dick9clark

Help I am in the sticks near Pittsburgh KS an Joplin MO

Here is my location...
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15623dd8d099

Jake V.. Suggested the following " A single antenna solution like the HBU-55 aimed at 165 degrees might not get the PBS station at 164 degrees (KOZJ-25). "
Thanks Jake.
He also recommended I use the interactive map to get a better reading but I cannot get the full address because the ad is overlaying part of it on my tablet. And I do not have a laptop right now. This one seems pretty close.

Thanks fo any additional input. I have a 30 foot mast made from oil field pipe.
Dick9clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2015, 3:49 AM   #2
Jake V

Here's Dick9clark's original post: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=15188
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Jan-2015, 7:21 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

An alternate to the HBU-55 is the Winegard HD7698P. Both are good antennas, though some may give the nod to the Winegard for build quality / durability.

A premium option would be an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713. This combination offers maximum gain performance and allows greater flexibility with aiming.

I'm hoping to see a new preamplifier from Antennas Direct hit the market soon... But their PA-18 would be a very good choice in this case given the low signal levels. If you opted to use separate UHF and H-VHF antennas, a UHF/VHF combiner (UVSJ) would be needed between the antennas and the preamp mast unit.

Consumer grade antennas are generally designed to mount on mast that is 1.375" diameter. Some antennas will fit on slightly larger diameter mast. You'll want to verify the diameter of the oil field pipe to know if you'll need some sort of adaptor.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2015, 3:32 AM   #4
Dick9clark

How close to the antenna should a preamp be? Or does it matter?
I did a new map as per Jakes suggestion. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c157b7104fc29
The report is showing a 14.1 for fox but it is showing as 7.2 on my TV - in fact I only get 7.1 and 7.2.
I am beginning to wonder if I can get any UHF channels because of the large trees between me and the stations.

Last edited by Dick9clark; 20-Jan-2015 at 4:12 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 20-Jan-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
The report is showing a 14.1 for fox but it is showing as 7.2 on my TV - in fact I only get 7.1 and 7.2.
Fox is on BOTH 7.2 (stretched SD) and 14.1 (HD). TVFool does not address the sub-channels so they won't show up on the charts.

Quote:
How close to the antenna should a preamp be? Or does it matter?
Yes, it matters. To keep the system noise figure a low as possible, keep the lead between the antenna and the preamp as short as feasible.

All of our antennas will fit a 2" OD pipe except the DB8e or C4. Those two are limited to 1 3/4".

Very weak UHF signals and trees are usually incompatible with reliable reception.

I don't see any mention of what you're currently using.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Jan-2015, 2:19 PM   #6
Dick9clark

The antenna was there when we bought house. It is about 8 foot long and a combined uhf and Vhf antenna, on a bent 30 foot mast.
Old 2-Feb-2015, 2:34 AM   #7
Dick9clark

I was just in a Radio Shack that was closing down an low and behold they had a HBU-55 for half price and a preamp that was DC with low noise. I got the preamp also. I hope DC preamps are good?
Old 2-Feb-2015, 4:21 AM   #8
GroundUrMast

Sounds like a good 'score' on the HBU-55. What is the RS catalog # for the preamp?

Old 2-Feb-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
Stereocraig

HBU-55 = Catalog #: 1500279

I stopped in at a RS Thursday just on a whim and asked about antennas, specifically, that one.
Yep, 45.00 =tx.

I hemmed and hawed about it and decided that I don't need anymore antennas hanging around unused at this time.

I'm thinking people better get something from there now, while the gettin's good.

Oops! You asked about the preamp p/n.

Last edited by Stereocraig; 3-Feb-2015 at 8:35 AM. Reason: mistake
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Feb-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick9clark View Post
I was just in a Radio Shack that was closing down an low and behold they had a HBU-55 for half price. . . . .
Wow, thanks for the heads up!!

Already have too many antennas, but for that price, I gotta have it!!
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Feb-2015, 1:02 AM   #11
Dick9clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Sounds like a good 'score' on the HBU-55. What is the RS catalog # for the preamp?
Cat. # is
1500369 $27.07
IN-LINE TV ANTENNA SIGNAL AMP
50% Barcode Offer for Tran ($13.54)
CLEAR50
Net Price $13.53 but when I search online it does not find it.
I also got some cable and hooks because neighbor gave me a 20 foot pole i can put on the roof.

Last edited by Dick9clark; 3-Feb-2015 at 1:04 AM.
Old 3-Feb-2015, 4:09 AM   #12
GroundUrMast

The reviews I've come across suggest that there are some published specs that I did not find on the RS website. The gain and noise figure that I gleaned from the RS website and one review are 12 dB gain / 4 dB NF. Not terrible if true, but I'd spend full retail (under $30) on an RCA TVPRAMP1R before opting for this amp.