TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 8-Dec-2010, 1:00 AM   #1
rickcain

Mxu-59?

My TVfool report for starters: (yes its an exact address)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3bc426943cf

I presently have a CM4221 pointed at the antennas in question (348 degrees roughly). Its on the peak of the roof and on a 7 foot mast, so I would say total height is at least 25 feet, maybe 30.

My problem is getting those pesky low power stations, which are weak and fuzzy. I have an MXU-59 on order, hoping to remedy this situation. I know everybody is into the 91XG, but has anybody had experience with the MXU-59?

Thanks.
rickcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 2:33 AM   #2
No static at all

I haven't seen many positive comments on the MXU-59. The low gain specs & shipping cost were a deal breaker for me.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 3:56 AM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If the picture is Fuzzy then it's analog. Digital does not have fuzzy pictures. Your analog channels are all in the UHF. So yes the UHF antenna is what you need. If one were to choose analog channels to receive at long distance then the channels would be VHF low band 2 thru 6. But yours are UHF and thats Ok because you have one band of channels to deal with. The easy to receive channels are all LOS = Line Of Sight. Very good. The channels are weak , but not all that weak. . 0 NM(dB) is what is the reference point for reliable reception. Plus , +10 NM(dB) gives a little elbow room , and more then that is better and better. Connect the antenna with a single run of coax direct to the Tv and see how the reception is.

Last edited by John Candle; 19-Dec-2010 at 4:16 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Dec-2010, 4:09 AM   #4
rickcain

Yeah, I know these are analog channels. They reside in various spots in the UHF band are are only designed to service the OKC area, which I'm not in. I'm just hoping to snag enough signal in this fringe area to get something thats watchable. Right now its either full of static or wavy lines. It feels like the 70s again! Some of them are really close but LP stations don't beam out very far. I'm going to do the usual stuff....chop the coax shorter, add a preamp, give an offering to Jupiter and maybe Poseidon and see what happens.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 8:27 AM   #5
John Candle

At http://www.fcc.gov click on search , then click on Tv Station Query then put the call letters in the Call Sign Box , then click on Submit Data. Then click on Service Area Map. The receivable channels are well with in your receivable area. The channels are religious , home shopping and spanish , all boring stuff.

Last edited by John Candle; 20-Dec-2010 at 2:11 PM.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 9:06 AM   #6
John Candle

Many low power broadcast stations and translator broadcast stations now days are transmitting over the air to the cable companies so as to get the programing on the cable system using the must carry rules. And not so much to the general public as a over the air broadcast.
Old 8-Dec-2010, 5:27 PM   #7
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Be very careful of using a preamplifier in your situation because most of the OKC stations are strong enough in your area to cause preamp overload. Your best bet, if you want to try a preamp would be to use a Winegard HDP-269, which has high input overload capability
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Dec-2010, 7:25 AM   #8
John Candle

How bout that wizbang wording with the MXU-59 --> Quadriture Drive , Wow it sounds heavy duty = super fantastic = mind blowing = thrill ride. . It is 4 rows of metal receiving elements , 2 elements per row. Whoo that was a ego deflator.
Old 9-Dec-2010, 8:33 AM   #9
rickcain

Hey, I like spanish language channels. Not everybody watches just country music television and jesus channels ya know.
Old 19-Dec-2010, 3:22 AM   #10
rickcain

Well I finally got my MXU-59. Wow, it's BIG. It is very good at rejecting signals from behind, unlike the CM4221. Well made too. Even in the living room it is picking up those weak analog stations much better. I'm putting it on the roof tomorrow.
Old 21-Dec-2010, 1:37 AM   #11
rickcain

Well its on the roof now, and it works quite well. I added a preamp and its that much better. I wouldn't say it blows away the CM4221 but it certainly makes the weak analogs come in much stronger and are now quite watchable despite the pitifully weak signal I'm getting from them.
Old 23-Dec-2010, 2:54 PM   #12
Billiam

Rick. If I had seen this post earlier I would have commented. I have been using a MXU59 for several months now and I am very pleased with the performance. It's signal gain performance appears to be on par with the 91XG on my most distant stations which are 2 edge and in red on the TV Fool report. I am going to purchase a Winegard 9032HD and do a head to head to head comparison of these three antennas in the Spring.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2011, 7:50 AM   #13
rickcain

I eagerly await the results. I'm now an antenna addict, just bought my 4th antenna, which is 3 more than I really needed.
Old 1-Jan-2011, 3:47 PM   #14
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcain View Post
I eagerly await the results. I'm now an antenna addict, just bought my 4th antenna, which is 3 more than I really needed.
They have drugs for that now...LOL Happy New Year!
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Jan-2011, 8:36 PM   #15
John Candle

Antennas and Free Tv. Check this out , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=265