TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 16-Sep-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
mountainman

help w/ reception

I just put up Antennacraft HD1200 (to replace HD850) and thought I'd get great reception (b/c I got fair reception w/ the smaller antenna). Well, it helped a little, but not as much as I thought. Basically, there are 5 stations, all coming from Mount Mansfield in Burlington, VT -- CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and PBS. I can get CBS and PBS pretty consistently. The others are more hit and miss. Today, I'm getting every station except FOX, but that could change tomorrow. I have antenna mounted above roof about 27 feet above ground. It has a 50 foot run of rg6 coax, no splitters, 1 tv.

Any ideas how to improve this set-up? Would a pre-amp help? Any suggestions? I'm almost tempted to put HD850 back up given that a much larger antenna hasn't given me much more.

Here's my position:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5ed68234d23f6a

Thanks much, Mountainman
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Sep-2012, 1:54 AM   #2
teleview

->ALL<- Questions and Answers about Broadcast Tv Reception and More.

The following is a Teleview recommendation for broadcast tTv reception.

In hilly country , the strength of the signal at the reception location is often very sensative to the height and location of the receiving antenna , even 1 foot in change in antenna height or location can make the difference of reception and no reception.

Many times in hilly country , a lower antenna height can be better then a higher antenna height.

Go to the tvfool home page and click on >>StartMAPS<< , move the pointer to your Exact location , and change the antenna height.

The FOX signal strength of minus -11.2 NM(dB) shown in the tvfool report needs to be improved to a stronger signal strength.

At locations with Very weak signals , I pull out the big antenna gun.

I recommend a Winegard HD7698P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 319 degree magnetic compass direction.

If you will send me a PM Private Message with your address or corodinates I will find the best antenna height/location for reception of FOX and the other channels.

Last edited by teleview; 18-Sep-2012 at 12:07 AM.
  Reply With Quote Received Warning
Old 17-Sep-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
mountainman

Thanks for feedback Teleview. I wouldn't have guessed what you said about height; just assumed higher was better. I may try pre-amp w/ this antenna and see what I get before making any other changes.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote