TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 19-Jan-2012, 3:53 PM   #1
Badfish740

How does football work on OTA networks?

I grew up with cable in New Jersey (child of the 80s) and have never watched sports on OTA TV. Since the mid-90s when I started really watching football the Giants have been carried primarily on Fox (WNYW-NY 5), but I always watched channel 5 on cable so I never really gave it much thought. Living in the central part of New Jersey, we got both the NY and Philadelphia affiliates of all of the major networks on cable-the channel lineup was as follows:

2 WCBS-NY
3 WKYW-PHL (CBS)
4 WNBC-NY
5 WNYW-NY (Fox)
6 WPVI-PHL (ABC)
7 WABC-NY
10 WCAU-PHL (NBC)
29 WTXF-PHL (Fox)

Obviously I always watched the Giants on channel 5 (WNYW) and never gave much thought to what was on the Philadelphia affiliate (WTXF), but now I'm faced with the possibility that reception of WNYW might be dicey from my current location in Northwest NJ. I am going to try stacking two 91XGs in order to try to get enough gain to pickup WNYW at a distance of about 49 miles across hilly terrain, but the success of this is uncertain. My basic question is, if the Giants are playing on Sunday at 1:00, 4:00, or 8:00 and they're on WNYW out of New York, does that mean that WXTF will be broadcasting it as well (assuming the Eagles aren't playing another team at the same time)? I hope so because it looks as though WTXF will be much easier to pull in than WNYW. I'm sure it's a silly question, but I was never great at understanding all of the agreements between networks regarding sports broadcasting rights, etc...
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2012, 5:22 PM   #2
Dave Loudin

This site explains the complex rules concering televising of NFL games (and other major sports, too.) The basic anwer to your question is "It depends..."
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Jan-2012, 6:23 PM   #3
Badfish740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Loudin View Post
This site explains the complex rules concering televising of NFL games (and other major sports, too.) The basic anwer to your question is "It depends..."
Well at least now I know it wasn't a stupid question! Thanks for the info-hopefully I can figure out a way to pull in both stations reliably.
Badfish740 is offline   Reply With Quote