TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 22-May-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
hpdad

Help me to get what antenna for my area

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b1a8c549700a35

I am looking for out door antenna to get abc, fox, nbc, kcal....local channels.

Two years ago I got one from radio shack but no luck so I returned it. Which antenna should I get in order to get those channels.
hpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
Electron

Tv Antennas and Tv Reception

Above the roof install a Winegard HD7084P antenna with a Winegard AP8700 preamp aimed at about 235 degree magnetic compass.
Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html , http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com. Buy the ronard antenna mounts at solidsignal by typing the word ronard in the solidsignal search box or buy from ronard.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

How many Tv's are/will be connected??

Last edited by Electron; 23-May-2012 at 1:23 AM.
Electron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Electron

Here are some Tv stations that will be received.

About REAL channels and Virtual channels. REAL channels are the real and actual channel that is being transmitted and received.
The Virtual channel in most cases is the Analog channel the Tv station was transmitting on before the change to digital. The Tv station kept the old Analog number , It is known as Channel Branding.

It is Important to know the REAL Channel that is being transmitted and received so the Correct Tv antenna can be selected.

KABC-TV , REAL channel 7 ABC , virtual channel (7)

KNBC-DT , REAL channel 36 NBC , virtual channel (36)

KCBS-DT , REAL channel 43 CBS , virtual channel (2)

KTLA-DT , REAL channel 31 CW and Antenna Tv and This Tv , virtual channel (5)

KCOP-TV , REAL channel 13 Mynetwork , virtual channel (13)

KLCS , REAL channel 41 PBS , virtual channel (58)

KDOC-DT , REAL channel 32 Me-Tv , virtual channel (56)

KPXN-DT , REAL channel 38 ION , virtual channel (30)

KOCE-DT , REAL channel 48 PBS , virtual channel (50)

KCAL-DT , REAL channel 9 IND./CBS , virtual channel (9)

And many more Digital Tv stations/channels will be received.

It looks like KVTU-LP channel 3 is transmitting as a Analog Tv channel. http://americaone.com.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KMCA-LP ,
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tv...)&facid=130176.

Yes , Low Power , Translator , Repeater , Tv stations can continue to transmit Analog until , September of 2015.
Many , Low Power , Translator , Repeater , Tv stations have and are converting to digital and many have not. They have until September of 2015.

The Tv's Must scan for Digital and Analog Broadcast Tv channels.

Do Not scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by Electron; 28-May-2012 at 8:49 PM.
Old 23-May-2012, 3:42 PM   #4
hpdad

Electron, thanks for all the help. It will be connected to 2 tvs. Probably one more later.

What the difference between Tru and Magn degree?

If I use the cheap $5 compass from WM, what degree should I point on?

Last edited by hpdad; 23-May-2012 at 4:29 PM.
Old 23-May-2012, 3:49 PM   #5
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdad View Post
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...b1a8c549700a35

I am looking for out door antenna to get abc, fox, nbc, kcal....local channels.

Two years ago I got one from radio shack but no luck so I returned it. Which antenna should I get in order to get those channels.
I'd start with a question. Do you want channel 5 KRVD or 6 KREP? They are low band VHF stations that are located in different directions. let's assume that they don't matter to you, but you want all the stations from LA. I like to avoid rotators if possible.

There are two ways to go;

1. A single antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P with a AP8700 preamp.
2. Dual antennas 91XG UHF and Y10-7-13 VHF with an AP2870 preamp.

In either case you can add KREP with a Y5-2-6 and a HLSJ joiner.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-May-2012, 4:15 PM   #6
hpdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
I'd start with a question. Do you want channel 5 KRVD or 6 KREP? They are low band VHF stations that are located in different directions. let's assume that they don't matter to you, but you want all the stations from LA. I like to avoid rotators if possible.

There are two ways to go;

1. A single antenna such as the Winegard HD7698P with a AP8700 preamp.
2. Dual antennas 91XG UHF and Y10-7-13 VHF with an AP2870 preamp.

In either case you can add KREP with a Y5-2-6 and a HLSJ joiner.
I guess it doesn't matter because I've never known these channels. I just wanted all channels from LA as possible.
Old 23-May-2012, 5:03 PM   #7
Electron

I listed the Tv stations and more Tv stations will be received. Install the antenna and preamp I recommended.

A way to learn how to use a compass is search on the internet for instructions of how to use a compass.

Last edited by Electron; 24-May-2012 at 1:32 AM.
Old 23-May-2012, 7:51 PM   #8
hpdad

Electron, when shopping for antenna, I see Winegard HD7698P with a bit expensive than the Winegard HD7084P. Is it better than 7084
Old 23-May-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Electron

The 3 bands of Tv transmission channels are , VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF channels 14 thru 69.

The HD7698P antenna is designed to receive channels , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF channels 14 thru 69.

The HD7084P antenna is designed to receive , VHF low band channels 2 thru 6 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 and UHF channels 14 thru 69.

Your location has receivable channels in all three bands.

Cost is not the main factor of selecting a Tv antenna.

Selecting the Correct Antenna/s is the main factor.

Last edited by Electron; 26-May-2012 at 8:33 PM.
Old 24-May-2012, 3:47 PM   #10
hpdad

Thanks Electron,

Just ordered the antenna, preamp, mast, and the mounting bracket for chimney.
Old 24-May-2012, 5:13 PM   #11
hpdad

I know it's off topic but didn't want to make another thread to crowd the forum:

Should I need to ground the mast? If yes, how to?
Old 24-May-2012, 7:35 PM   #12
AtLarge

Electron, thanks for all the help. It will be connected to 2 tvs. Probably one more later.

Quote:
What the difference between Tru and Magn degree?
Magnetic is the natural pull of the earths pole.

True is what you see on a map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpdad
If I use the cheap $5 compass from WM, what degree should I point on?
I picked up a nice one at WM for $11. Orange rubber coated, digital, backlit, clock, and can be calibrated to your location to compensate for Mag vs. True. I believe your TV signal analysis gives you both readings so you can't miss.
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2012, 8:24 PM   #13
GroundUrMast

Quote:
I know it's off topic but didn't want to make another thread to crowd the forum:

Should I need to ground the mast? If yes, how to?
Not off topic at all. My stock answer is, Grounding the mast and coax shield are prudent and relatively inexpensive steps that limit the buildup of static-electricity which can damage the tuner. When done correctly, grounding can also reduce the risk caused by a nearby lighting strike.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

Grounding in a basic system is a two step process:

1) Connect a #10 gauge copper wire to the antenna mast. A bronze ground clamp such as the Halex #36020 is well suited for this application. Run the wire directly to the electrical service ground. Avoid sharp bends in the wire. (If the ground wire between the service panel and ground rod is accessible, an Intersystem Bonding Termination devise can be placed onto the ground wire without cutting or disconnecting it. This provides a means to connect the #10 mast ground wire to the existing ground wire close to the ground rod outside the building. If possible, avoid running the new ground wire inside the building, energy from static or electrical storms is best directed to ground before it has any path into the building. The mast ground wire can be bare or insulated, your choice.)

2) Run the coax from the antenna to a location close to the electrical service ground. Install a ground block and with another peice of #10 wire, connect it to the electrical service ground at the same point you connected the mast ground.

I don't recommend short-cuts such as driving a new ground rod that is not connected to the existing electrical service ground. An isolated ground rod often has a high resistance that provides very limited ground connection. The goal is to connect to the same ground system that protects the rest of the home.

Surge protectors located inside outlet strips at the TV, computer or similar devises are worth consideration. A surge protector with a high joule rating is able to absorb more fault energy than a unit with a lower joule rating. Some surge protection units include phone jacks and F-connectors to enable protection of a phone line, coax cable and the power cable(s). However, in the case of an outdoor mounted antenna, this type of protection should not be considered a 'first-line of defense'.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 6-Aug-2012 at 7:50 AM. Reason: IBTB
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-May-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
Electron

Thank you AtLarge. As always a starting aim direction such as compass aiming is to get the antenna aimed in the correct direction to begin with. The tvfool radar report shows both , true and magnetic , aiming numbers.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Then the antenna can be turned to the left and right to find a aim direction that improves a possible problem Tv stations channel.
Problems can be , but not limited to , weak signal , signal reflections (multipath).

At this point it is helpful to say , do not go off the 'deep end' on aiming.
One question asker awhile back was Very Serious and Very Narrowly Focused about the absolute correct aiming direction , true or magnetic ,??
I pointed out that there was only 4 degrees difference of the true and magnetic readings.
And this is to get the antenna pointed in the correct direction to begin with , it's not super critical narrowly focused information.

I know this will be shocking and amazing news but some people do not know the directions of , north , south , east , and west.

So printing , aim a antenna north west won't help any and printing aim the antenna 'that a way' won't help any.

This leaves me wondering , how in the heck do they get around?? LOL !!

Last edited by Electron; 26-May-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 25-May-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
AtLarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I know this will be shocking and amazing news but some people do not know the directions of , north , south , east , and west.
Oh, I see you've met my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
This leaves me wondering , how in the heck do they get around?? LOL !!
It's simple. They talk their husbands into taking them.
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-May-2012, 4:13 PM   #16
hpdad

Yesterday, after posted question about the grounding, I searched the web like crazy so I have the very basic idea .

The thing is, the antenna location will be about 30ft from home electrical service ground, so I have to ground the mast/and cable on a new grounding rod then bond it with the main grounding rod with 6 gauge copper wire.

Can I ground them directly on the home electrical ground rod even 30ft away? People on web say if over 20ft apart, it should ground on separate rod then bond them.
Old 25-May-2012, 4:30 PM   #17
GroundUrMast

The 30' run for the mast ground is not impractical or uncommon. I'd have no concern about running a piece of #10 copper that far.

The coax shield ground sounds like it may be a bit cumbersome... But one solution is to run the coax from the antenna down to a location close to the existing electrical service ground. Then, you have a very short run between the ground block and ground rod.

Which is easier, running a bit more coax, or driving a new rod and the #6 copper to connect it to the existing ground rod(s)?

Old 25-May-2012, 7:21 PM   #18
Electron

All Questions and Information about Broadcast Tv Reception

The grounding issue is a 'Highly Charged' issue that borders on insanity.
Humans have a hard time thinking clearly about grounding and lightning.
Even Real and Actual Professionals have gone to blows , no kidding , over the issue.

And when it comes to Tv antennas and grounding , many people get wide eyed and there brain buzzes , the antennas are treated as some kind of Special Case.
Tv antennas are NOT A Special Case.

Air conditioners are on the roof and are not grounded with a separate ground wire.
The metal vents and vent pipes that stick up out of the roof are not grounded with a separate ground wire.
As a Reality Check , get some binoculars and look at the roofs and sides of houses and see if there are any separate ground wire connected to the , antenna , mast , antenna mount and ground.

Are metal roofs that are on houses grounded with a separate ground wire?? Look for your self and see.

Many houses and buildings now days have plastic water pipes. Lightning travels through the water in the pipes , But , how is a plastic pipe grounded??

Am I saying to not ground a antenna. No I am not saying that. What I Am saying is , Hey , it's easy to slip over the edge on this grounding and lightning issue.

I know the answers to all the questions and more.

Last edited by Electron; 28-May-2012 at 9:04 PM.
Old 26-May-2012, 2:58 AM   #19
GroundUrMast

Antennas are a special case

@Electron, I'm glad you're not advising against grounding the antenna.

Unlike a metal roof, air conditioner or plumbing vent, an antenna is expected to be intentionally connected to one or more devises inside occupied space. Proper grounding of the mast and coax serves to reduce the likelihood of dangerous voltage appearing on the coax and TV chassis inside the building.

As an aside, air conditioner units, regardless of where they are mounted, are typically supplied by a dedicated circuit, the cabling for which includes a ground conductor. Also, metal water supply lines and metal drain pipes are required to be electrically bonded to the electrical service ground system.