TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Reception Devices

Notices

Old 28-Oct-2015, 8:55 PM   #1
gemret

OTA and Cable Channels Problem

I am having a problem receiving both over the air and cable channels on my Panasonic Model TC-26LX600 TV that I purchased 5/30/07. It has only one input for OTA/Cable. I tried a coax two way switch. It didn't work. I contacted Panasonic and was told I would have to re-scan each time I changed from OTA to cable or vice versa because the tuner was not engineered to hold both in memory. They further stated the only way to avoid this was to use a cable box or a VCR/DVD player. I would like to avoid both. Does anyone have any other suggestions to avoid this? Is there anything available that is small/compact with a tuner that will work?
gemret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Oct-2015, 9:58 PM   #2
Jake V

The person at Panasonic you spoke with is correct. Televisions can scan and remember either OTA or Cable channels, but not both at the same time. So you'd have to re-scan each time you go back and forth between OTA and Cable.

Your only option is to add a second tuner, be it a cable box or an external tuner. That way one signal source can connect to the TV and other to the second tuner (which is then connected to your TV with an HDMI connection, assuming your TV supports it).

I haven't tested external tuners, so can't make a recommendation. Others will post.
Jake V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2015, 5:16 AM   #3
analogqueen

Yes others will post :)

not sure if this will help our OP though. I have a digital in the main tv area of living room and an analog Curtis Mathes 1985 model- 27", that came with a glass front protector screen(?) just like the old stereo consoles had- my "obsolete" TV has four coax connectors on the back. Many audio including a stereo audio connex etc etc, this "old obsolete" has FOUR COAX connex, the DIGITAL in liv. room has ONE. And, like yourself, must be scanned for CATV and re-Scanned for OTA, and won't smoothly scroll through both types of channels as you surf, nor display them all at same time.

The "old obsolete" set I have Can. This is how I do it:
CATV coax fed DIRECT - not thru the digi-OTA converter box! just right to TV input
I do have the digi-OTA converter with coax line to one of the free ANT IN on TV set
I can also record cable shows (no OTA! because its digital- but to be honest I never attempted it with this VCR so I don;t know for certain) : http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HR-S7800u-.../dp/B005IGYJ7G I have this VCR, bought for 7.00 Goodwill looks brand new has original stickers from the store on it, and they are selling it for 600 on Amazon? Also found badly beat up one on line for 300., I have no clue why so expensive?

Mind You, this only allows for CATV channels up to No.s 99 and below, no QAM or digitals sorry-

Also, with the analog sets, you have no "lag time" which I find unacceptable and one of the reasons I stick to my "old" equipment- that is faster, offers me MORE options, so- which one is the "old outdated" one again? I always was told newer is faster and has more- but the old set has more options for me that I like to use.
PS- not meaning to remove the OP's original question, and I DO hope he gets an answer, but anyone have any idea why this VCR I have is so costly? is it just a great machine or are they hard to find? just wondering is all

Last edited by analogqueen; 8-Nov-2015 at 5:28 AM. Reason: Mistakes
analogqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2015, 7:14 PM   #4
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
not sure if this will help our OP though.
It probably doesn't. Jake V already gave him the workaround.

Quote:
not thru the digi-OTA converter box! just right to TV input
That's because you still have analog cable, something that is already rare and getting more so.

Quote:
but anyone have any idea why this VCR I have is so costly
It's not, really since that's only an asking price.

It's a 15 year old used machine and there's only one seller on Amazon, so they can ask whatever price they want because they think there might be one buyer out there who just has to have it. You can find one offered for half that price on ebay. Similar JVCs in good operating condition can get $100-$250 on ebay.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 8-Nov-2015 at 7:22 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Nov-2015, 10:05 PM   #5
analogqueen

Ah- that makes sense- weird about the VCR on eBay, not amazon- sellers are asking 300. on average for it. Its JUST A VCR. Maybe they are hard to find? shrugs. I don't care how much it is, I paid 7. for it and its not for sale

Analog cable- when I call the cable co. the agents swear there IS no analog cable in my area and that I "must" have a box to receive it. That is what they are told from corporate, and not actual reality.

Glad the OP found a solution- I must have missed it, I should re-read again as I've forgotten all about it now lol.
Old 10-Nov-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
Stereocraig

The only true measure of an item's worth, is what the ebay price is listed in "Sold Items".

People are generally confused, when it comes to the nuts and bolts of ebay.
When they're selling something, they will tell you that they saw it on ebay and quote the highest asking price.
When they want to buy something, they will tell you that they saw it on ebay and quote the lowest price.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2015, 1:52 PM   #7
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Glad the OP found a solution-
The OP never even returned to the site to look and see if there were any additional answers after the first day.

Typical "post one question and then flake out" new poster.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2015, 2:16 PM   #8
analogqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
The OP never even returned to the site to look and see if there were any additional answers after the first day.

Typical "post one question and then flake out" new poster.
Yes- I am familiar with eBay and the Sold Listings
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-S9600...gAAOSwwbdWMBCt
that's the 9500, but with "Digipure" (whatever THAT is) as mine has
and this one, and older less desirable sold for 107.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-HR-S7500...4AAOSwuTxV~xoY
They surely do sell, and very well. People DO pay for these old things.
I know you are intent on proving the VCR is worthless lol- I personally don't care- as I said, paid 7 whole dollars for it, and it is like new with the store's stickers on it- that is not a listing, lol as I am not listing it for sale and despise eBay with a passion, and am not a flipper. The whole re-seller mentality I find repugnant anyway. I find it interesting that people would pay that much for it, then again I just watched an online auction for a '95 VW Euro- style van sell for over 23k at auction(!!!) so, maybe people just want a particular item and will pay whatever it takes to get it.

The Curtis Mathes TV there are collectors out there, I got it for a whole dollar at Goodwill- and it is in perfect cond., and I've been using it for 2 yrs every day. Picture is great, better than the SD on the digital, but again the SD picture on any HDTV is crap.
Old 10-Nov-2015, 2:21 PM   #9
eggman531916

Though I doubt the OP will return, I have a Samsung UN55EH6000F that allows me to scan for both cable and OTA channels at the same time. What I don't know is if it will allow for seamless channel surfing without having to switch back and forth from Antenna to Cable as I haven't had cable TV in about 6 years. I don't know if this will help anyone or not. I just figured I'd throw it into the conversation.
eggman531916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-Nov-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
analogqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman531916 View Post
Though I doubt the OP will return, I have a Samsung UN55EH6000F that allows me to scan for both cable and OTA channels at the same time. What I don't know is if it will allow for seamless channel surfing without having to switch back and forth from Antenna to Cable as I haven't had cable TV in about 6 years. I don't know if this will help anyone or not. I just figured I'd throw it into the conversation.

UN55EH6000F eh..? Sounds great- I'd like to make a note of that myself. Hope the OP catches this. Even if you do have to switch from Cable to Antenna thats cool- I think any tv would require that sort of set up, considering how TVs are made.
Old 11-Nov-2015, 1:25 PM   #11
rickbb

I have seen some newer smart TV's being advertised lately that allow supposedly seamless channel surfing between OTA and internet streaming services.

I believe we will start seeing more of this type of TV or Roku type boxes marketed soon. I'm wondering if they will have the ability to do both cable and OTA also.

Having said that, my local cable company has started a big advertising campaign stating that they will be 100% digital by spring. (In my mind that means 100% scrambled signals.)
rickbb is offline   Reply With Quote