TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-May-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
Jay

Request opinion on optimal antenna and amp for my location

At location http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd7262405c26a3. Would you expect that I would have a good watchable signal on KICU CH36 down through KRON CH38 on the above list if I used a Channel Master CM-2020 Antenna (gain of 7.5 to 10.3dB on channels 7-60) and Channel Master Titan 2 CM-7777 (VHF gain 23dB, VHF noise 2.8; UHF gain 26, UHF noise 2.0). Do you have other recommandations on other equipment to make reception optimal?
Thanks,
Jay
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-May-2010, 2:51 AM   #2
Dave Loudin

Remember that pre-amps only zero out cable losses, so doing the math for KRON: -6 NM + 10 dB antenna gain - 2 dB amp noise gives a noise margin to the receiver of 2, not enough to protect against all fades. You need to spend your money on UHF gain, not so much high-VHF. Consider going for the Antennas Direct 91XG (up to 16 dB) paired with an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 (6 dB), combined by the CM-7777.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-May-2010, 4:12 AM   #3
Jay

Thanks, Dave. I'll look into those antennas. Jay
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-May-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Do you have other recommandations on other equipment to make reception optimal?
Thanks,
Jay
I also think that the CM 2020 is too small.

Are you interested in the low band VHF low power stations on channels 2, 4 and 5?
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-May-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
teleview

Lightbulb tv reception

At your location you also have channels in the VHF Low Band channels of 2 thru 6. At tvfool , look at the VIRTUAL and REAL CHANNELS. The real channels are the actual transmitted channels. The antenna you have is for VHF channels 7 thru 13 and the UHF channels 14 thru 69. . . And Yes it is ALWAYS a good idea to buy a tv antenna that is a LITTLE BIGGER , Not a LITTLE SMALLER then what is needed. . There is a mind set here in the USA that somehow smaller is better. Cell phones are one of many examples , smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller , untill finally !! you can't see it at all !!
Old 19-May-2010, 2:57 AM   #6
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

With the information you have given here is what I recomend. . At http://winegardtvantennas.com . winegard . HD7084P . Tv antenna . . and winegard . AP2870 Amplifier and this Tv antenna rotor . . . http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=460 Also due to your location in a canyon and mountains , I suggest that an exact address. You can also find out more at the >>START Maps<< part of tvfool , just like I will if you provide an exact address. Also for coaxial wiring use RG-6 coax with solid copper center conductor. Also with this antenna set up you MUST use a Very Strong mounting. If you use some wimpy mounting it will fall over and you will be buying a new antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 22-May-2010 at 7:19 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.