TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 30-Jul-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
markieb

Antenna Suggestions for SW Florida

Hi everyone and thanks for reading my post.

I live in SW Florida and I'm getting ready to rid myself of Dish Network. I've been reading a lot of these post for the past week and would like some feedback as to the best choice of antenna.

Here is my analysis: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...46ae7d87691a57

I would like to get as close to all the yellow and green stations as possible (who doesn't), not interested in any in the red except maybe 39 (1st one)

3 TVs will be connected, with the longest coax run being 80-90 feet

One antenna that caught my attention is the SolidSignal HDB8X. I was wondering about 2 scenarios. 1) Pointing both panels to around 330 azimuth and hoping to get the stations that are to the Southeast on the backside of the antennas (if that is possible) or 2) Aim 1 panel at 330 azimuth and the other panel at 133 azimuth. Would a single panel get the range for the far away stations (57+/- miles)? Height will be around 15'

Or do I need a different kind of antenna? Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited by markieb; 30-Jul-2013 at 1:43 AM.
markieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Jul-2013, 5:04 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

If you're not blocked by trees, you've got a good shot at receiving most of what you're asking for. I would opt for a Winegard HD7694P or HD7696P pointed at the weaker group of signals to the N & NW (try an aim point of about 340° compass to start with).

It will be a challenge to find an Antennas Direct CPA-19 preamp... the Winegard HDP-269 would be a good alternative. Use a passive three way splitter such as the Ideal 85-133

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antennas...&skuId=9156334
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD769...ywords=HD7696P
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HDP26...ywords=HDP-269
http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-HD769...ywords=HD7696P
http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Industri.../dp/B00529WPDE.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
markieb

Follow up questions

GroundUrMast, thanks for the reply and recommendations on antennas and other parts. Do you feel the HD7694P has the range for the stations to the northwest (55-57 miles away)? The specs I found online (winegard direct) state the range as 35 miles VHF and 25 miles UHF. I prefer the HD7694P over the others due to it's smaller size.

Which brings me back to the 8-bay HDB8X, What is your reasoning as to why this is not a good choice? If it is construction, would a different 8-bay for another manufacturer be OK? Or if it is due to it being a UHF only antenna, after reviewing what stations are VHF to the northwest 7(NBC), 10(CBS), 12(FOX) and 13(PBS) all these networks are covered by stations to the Southeast that are UHF, only in different markets. So I feel I could get by with a UHF only antenna (if my thinking is correct). Also once again the compact size is much preferred over a 9-12 foot long antenna.

Also if I were to go with an 8-bay (if in your opinion it would fit the bill for my needs) would I still need one of the pre-amps you mentioned (the 3-way splitter is a given)?

Thanks for your time and expertise. I value your opinion and anyone else who wants to chime in on this matter, you all know much more than I do in the realm of antennas.

Last edited by markieb; 31-Jul-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 31-Jul-2013, 5:46 PM   #4
GroundUrMast

I'm hoping others will weigh in on this situation also.

Quote:
Do you feel the HD7694P has the range for the stations to the northwest (55-57 miles away)? The specs I found online (winegard direct) state the range as 35 miles VHF and 25 miles UHF. I prefer the HD7694P over the others due to it's smaller size.
The 7694 is the smallest antenna that I would consider... it has the ability to receive through the back side which makes it a good candidate for a one antenna solution in your situation. If your only intention was to ensure reception of the NNW, I would go with a 7696 or 7698 which have more gain and tend to reject signals from the rear a bit more than the 7694. Though I would still expect there to be enough power from the SE to see that group reliably with even the 7698 pointed NW

Quote:
Which brings me back to the 8-bay HDB8X, What is your reasoning as to why this is not a good choice?
I was presuming you would want an antenna with intentional support for H-VHF reception. Panel antennas such as the HDB8X are not engineered to receive any of the VHF band. See Pete Higgins review at Solid Signal http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=700112818417

I have not had my hands on the HDB8X... but I was already skeptical of the gain claims before seeing Pete Higgins review. That leaves me wondering what the real front to back ratio is... If it's "greater than 22 dB" as advertized, you would not expect to receive well through the back side. Of course, that all changes if you aim the adjustable panel differently than the fixed panel.

If you aim any 8-bay panel antenna at the SE group of signals, I would expect you to have plenty of signal power, with no need for any amplification.

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 31-Jul-2013 at 5:48 PM. Reason: add another thought
Old 1-Aug-2013, 4:57 AM   #5
markieb

The Decision

GroundUrMast Thanks again for your reply and suggestions. I have made the decision to get a Winegard HD7697P.

Reasons being: HD7694P - I'm leery it would not have the range to get the stations to the NW 57 miles away, although I did like the price and the size!!

The HD7696P was too hard to find for sale and a bit pricey at the few places that had them.

The HD7698 was just TOO BIG with a 168" mast.

So the HD7697P at 131" mast is what I'll settle for, and cheaper than the 7698.

My concern is that the look angle will be wide enough so I can aim around 340 degrees and get Most of the stations to the NW that are in the yellow and still get the stations to the SE that bear 130 degrees (that will be about 30 offset from the centerline). Hopefully the SE stations are strong enough and the front to back loss is not too great that I get all the SW stations that are in the green.

I also will take your recommendation and get the HDP-269 Pre-amp and Ideal 85-133 3 way splitter. Anything else you can think of? Give me a shout back please to let me know if all this sounds like it will work, then I'll place my order.

Thanks again for all you help and advise. I'll also report back in a week or so when everything comes in and gets setup and give the results of my labors.

Last edited by markieb; 1-Aug-2013 at 5:04 AM.
Old 1-Aug-2013, 5:58 AM   #6
GroundUrMast

The 7697 is fine... with a F/B ratio of about 20 dB, it will give you a fairly balanced set of signal levels.

Satellite system coax is reusable in an OTA antenna system, but many of the accessories such as matrix switches and diplexers will need to be removed to allow the OTA frequencies to pass through to the TVs. The TVs will need to be set to scan for 'air' or 'antenna', not 'cable' or 'auto'.

Old 11-Aug-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
markieb

The results are in!!

Today I installed the antenna (HD7697P) and pre-amp (HDP-269). after assembling the antenna, I set it on a table outside near where I was going to install it, pointed it at about 340 as GroundUrMast suggested. I then hooked it up to a TV inside, scanned for channels and got 46 CHANNELS!!! I was pretty happy with that! I then installed a mast about 16' high, put the antenna and pre-amp on, aimed it at the same place....and... 57 CHANNELS!! Using my analysis in my original post, I get ALL the stations and sub-channels from the top green (WBBH-DT 15 (20.1)), down to the first one in red (WLWN-LD 39), except W17CK 17 and WTPH-LP 14 I can't find any programming info on either one, so I'm not concerned about them.

I wish to thank GroundUrMast for the equipment suggestions they turned out to be spot on. Thank You VERY much!

Tomorrow I'll pretty-up the installation and hookup the other 2 TVs ... Then SNIP, SNIP goes DishNetwork!