TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 10-Aug-2013, 6:08 PM   #1
markieb

preamp questions

I've started to install my HD769P antenna and preamp. I have a question about my HDP269 preamp. The preamp splitter (Winegard PS-1403) has a ground screw on it for ground, can this serve as my coax ground block or do I need a separate ground block going from the preamp splitter (TV port) into the house and 3-way splitter to the 3 TVs?

Thanks
markieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Aug-2013, 5:37 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

Many, if not most splitters and similar form factor devices (like power insertion blocks, UVSJs, etc.) have provision for a ground connection. In some situations it makes sense to use the feature to ground the coax, avoiding the need for a separate grounding block...

For an outdoor mounted antenna, the ideal place to ground the coax is outside, near the electrical service ground, before it enters the building. Fault current (if it ever occurs) is best kept outside the building.

I would think that the power insertion block is going to be mounted indoors, protected from the elements and close to a power outlet. If that's the case, I would not use it to ground the coax.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote