TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Oct-2011, 4:16 AM   #1
Gap626

Pre-installation assistance

To begin, thank you to everyone in this forum for all of your excellent advice. I read a few hundred posts and have the beginning of a plan. However, I wanted to run it by the experts for advice prior to spending any money or wasting my time on a futile plan.

I live in Colorado Springs with this coverage map:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...60b5cb5a8ac75b

I live in a one story ranch with an easily accessible attic and plenty of space to set up an antenna. The roof is simple plywood with a clay tile roof. The line-of-sight to Cheyenne mountain will be obstructed by tall pine trees in my front yard and a large aspen tree across the street.

I want to set up a winegard hd7698p antenna in the attic and run my coax from the attic to the basement where I have a splitter already in place from my soon-to-be-removed DirecTV antenna system. I have considered an outdoor antenna mounted to the chimney; however, my wife is not happy with this plan unless I can find one that is invisible.

My questions are:

Do I need to amplify the signal?
Any recommendations on mounting in the attic (ca. 4 feet of clearance)?
Is there a better antenna? Rotator perhaps?

I am open-minded to suggestions as my plan is purely based upon supposition. Once again, I appreciate everyone's help.
Gap626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2011, 6:50 AM   #2
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Tv antennas are not evil.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Oct-2011, 1:16 PM   #3
Gap626

What do you mean? I want a TV antenna. What I don't want any longer is $200 worth of DirecTV garbage and informercials every month.
Old 17-Oct-2011, 2:07 PM   #4
Gap626

I would like to install an antenna this evening (Monday). The Winegard seems like a great antenna from the posts that I have read. However, it would simply be nice to get some confirmation. If there is any additional information that I can provide, I would be happy to post it right away. Be that as it may, I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me a nudge in the right direction. I don't want to pay another month's cable bill for infomercials and garbage that I don't watch. Can anyone help?
Old 18-Oct-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
MisterMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap626 View Post
What do you mean? ....
John Candle means that TV antennas are perfectly acceptable devices both morally and legally for acquisition of signals for display on your TV set(s). There is absolutely no reason to hide them in your attic. Mount your antenna on your roof where it has access the strongest signals available to you. You might be embarrassed at first. But soon, you wonder what ever where you thinking. You will enjoy all of the free programming that you will be receiving to boot.
MisterMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 3:30 AM   #6
Gap626

Tell that to my wife. If she doesn't want an antenna on the roof, there simply won't be one and I will be stuck paying an extra $1200 for no reason.

Be that as it may, is my attic solution feasible in any way? Or should I just give up and keep the dish?
Old 18-Oct-2011, 4:43 AM   #7
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

If you can get it in the attic then put it in the attic aimed at about 184 degree magnetic compass. You should receive all the digital channels down to KJCS-LP 38. Here is the Federal Law that says Yes you can mount a tv antenna out side on the roof. http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
phone man

Wow, that's a huge antenna! 14 ft long? Considering how close the broadcast towers are, you could get by with a very small outdoor antenna but with the trees and "mandatory" attic location diminishing the signal, the huge yagi design might be a good thing. Like John said, if it fits and can be aimed at 185 degrees you're good to go. You have a ton of channels available, very cool. I personally enjoy seeing an outdoor antenna. It's like a symbol of freedom!
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
No static at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gap626 View Post
I have considered an outdoor antenna mounted to the chimney; however, my wife is not happy with this plan unless I can find one that is invisible.
The ANT-751 is nearly invisible once mounted on the roof & should work well for your situation. If distributing to more than 2 sets a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp would be a good fit.

If you must go in the attic, I would steer clear of the Winegard HD series as they are difficult to fold back up without damage. Go with one of the Antennacraft models if so.
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Oct-2011, 12:01 PM   #10
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

A clay tile roof will make an attic location questionable unless you can select a location where your LOS to is not through the roof. Complicating your location with trees in your LOS makes your situation a real crap shoot. You can plan on reception difficulties during storm weather from the trees.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Nov-2011, 9:12 PM   #11
bassvivi

I need help please

I am the wife of a disabled OEF vet. We need to cut off the 125 dollars a month Directv bill and get a roof top antenna.
We will live on Wolfe road in Sparta, NC 28675.
There are trees and hills. We also will have a tower available that should raise the antenna 50 feet. What antenna should we get and what pre amp?
I hope someone will be able to guide us.
Also I am clumsy and I will have to go up the tower once it is up so I want to get it right the first time!

I also forgot, we are on a budget as I am going to stop working to take care of my husband...
Thank you
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...4bba1a787b54c1
bassvivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Nov-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
phone man

First of all, a huge "thank you" to your husband, you and your family for your service and sacrifice.

Your TVfool report looks pretty bleak but you probably knew that already. NBC, PBS and a college channel carrying PBS are all thats available. I'll let the experts recommend an antenna but considering the few channels available to you over the air, maybe going to Dish as a new customer would be a better idea? They're offering $19.99 per month (regular rate after 12 months is $24.99) for 55 channels.

If you do go the antenna route, PLEASE get someone to install the equipment for you. I climb poles and ladders for a living and a 50 ft tower is no place for someone with no experience working at such heights.

Last edited by phone man; 5-Nov-2011 at 10:18 PM.
phone man is offline   Reply With Quote