TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Aug-2011, 2:15 AM   #1
pizzle85

Antenna Recommendation

Hello,

My TVFool link is: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...3e47497607ba9f

I live in north central Florida and would like to install a new TV Antenna. We have an existing 30 foot tower attached to the house but it is bare so i would need to install all the antenna components and wiring. We only have one TV in the house currently but will probably expand to three or four in the next few years.

Looking at the local station locations i see that they are scattered around me in all directions. I assume any omni-directional antenna would pick up plenty of local channels. However i am a huge Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan and would like to be able to watch the games. Being so close to Jacksonville I usually only get Jaguar games and if they're not on then Miami... If possible i would like to be able to get local channels and hit a few Tampa channels for football. Looking at the Buccaneers schedule it looks like FOX will be carrying the majority of their games. I can watch CBS online and will have to go elsewhere for ESPN.

I assume to get these channels that are 100+ miles away i would need to get some sort of long distance antenna that could rotate to the appropriate angle to get those channels but i'm not sure how well it would work for local channels.

Also, when it comes to rotating antennas i'm not exactly sure how they rotate. Am i able to program in angles for different channels and have it automatically rotate depending on the channel? If so is this only necessary for the farther channels?

Would this sort of usage be possible with a single antenna or should i look at getting something for locals and another for the Tampa stations and switching back and forth.

Thanks for the assistance,

-Pizzle
pizzle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Aug-2011, 3:26 PM   #2
Mister Antenna

I am not a fan of rotating antennas. Winegard has an antenna below that will almost get you 360 reception. Having a 30 foot tower will be great asset, I would give this a try.

http://www.winegarddirect.com/viewit...%29&p=HD-7082P
Old 16-Aug-2011, 5:37 PM   #3
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzle85 View Post
When it comes to rotating antennas i'm not exactly sure how they rotate. Am i able to program in angles for different channels and have it automatically rotate depending on the channel? If so is this only necessary for the farther channels?

Would this sort of usage be possible with a single antenna or should i look at getting something for locals and another for the Tampa stations and switching back and forth.

Thanks for the assistance,

-Pizzle
Typically, a rotator is manual. You're often better off with two antenna, one for locals and one for another city. All you'd need is an A/B switch. If your TV set can't add stations during a rescan, you'll need to switch directions while the TV scans. It may take a few scans to figure out the sequence and timing.

You might find the Jacksonville stations easier to pick up than Orlando or Tampa.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Aug-2011, 5:57 PM   #4
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

Mister Antenna. That suggestion about the Tv antenna being a all most 360 degree antenna is going to far. The HD7082P is a HIGHLY DIRECTIONAL Antenna that is used for long distance television reception.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
pizzle85

what do you all think about this for my local channels http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=
pizzle85 is offline   Reply With Quote