TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 5-Feb-2015, 3:22 AM   #1
seemit

Help with Antenna - Very bad location. Parker, CO

Okay. I bought some rabbit ears, not knowing my available channels' strength. Nada. Used to live near downtown Denver and I could hang a coax on my TV and it would pick up all. Here is my report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15a5ef118fcd

Any luck out there for me? I know that no HOA can say NO to me on putting an antenna up, but it sure would hurt my neighbors and I hate to get "Oh, its that guy" look on me. So anything small but workable? I know I am asking too much.
seemit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2015, 5:12 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I can't offer a great deal of hope for an attic mounted antenna system based on your report.

Your report indicates that you need a full sized 'deep fringe' antenna or combination of antennas. I'd go with an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713, mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions. The DB8E is a panel design so it may be able to hide on the back side of a roof if that doesn't obstruct it's view toward the stations. The Y10713 is a Yagi type... a full 10' long.

There are combo antennas such as the Winegard HD7698P and Antennacraft HBU-55 that merge UHF and some VHF capability into a single antenna, but they are also long like the Y10713.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2015, 8:47 AM   #3
signals unlimited

PA. DTV reception

My company specializes in small workable antennas. UHF and VHF that can mount on a satellite pole. They work very well where reception is similar to that in your report. If you want to have a look. www.tripleplayantenna.com
signals unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2015, 12:52 PM   #4
Jason l

i agree with ground mast. Outside antenna for your plot.i recommend one of these. http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweath...y/8%20bay.html. I use the largest Wisker one and have great results with all yellow and red uhf / vhf.
Jason l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2015, 2:17 PM   #5
Tower Guy

If I lived there I'd try a 4 bay UHF plus a Y5-7-13 and a TVPRAMP-1R preamp. Mont it on the roof as inconspicuous as possible.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5-Feb-2015, 4:29 PM   #6
seemit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Guy View Post
If I lived there I'd try a 4 bay UHF plus a Y5-7-13 and a TVPRAMP-1R preamp. Mont it on the roof as inconspicuous as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason l View Post
i agree with ground mast. Outside antenna for your plot.i recommend one of these. http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweath...y/8%20bay.html. I use the largest Wisker one and have great results with all yellow and red uhf / vhf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by signals unlimited View Post
My company specializes in small workable antennas. UHF and VHF that can mount on a satellite pole. They work very well where reception is similar to that in your report. If you want to have a look. www.tripleplayantenna.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
I can't offer a great deal of hope for an attic mounted antenna system based on your report.

Your report indicates that you need a full sized 'deep fringe' antenna or combination of antennas. I'd go with an Antennas Direct DB8E + Antennacraft Y10713, mounted outdoors, clear of obstructions. The DB8E is a panel design so it may be able to hide on the back side of a roof if that doesn't obstruct it's view toward the stations. The Y10713 is a Yagi type... a full 10' long.

There are combo antennas such as the Winegard HD7698P and Antennacraft HBU-55 that merge UHF and some VHF capability into a single antenna, but they are also long like the Y10713.
Yes. that was my initial research too. one thing that I do have in favor is that my house backs open space and that is where I have to point my antenna. Bad thing is that my town is a "basin". So line of sight gets even worse and rockies don't help.
I think HBU-55 is on sale at radio shack for $80. Will try that and return if hope is lost.
I was wondering, also, if I can repurpose an old dish to concentrate the signal and replace the LNB with a receiver?
Old 5-Feb-2015, 4:33 PM   #7
seemit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason l View Post
No way I'd be allowed to keep that thing on my roof lol...
Old 5-Feb-2015, 5:54 PM   #8
GroundUrMast

Quote:
...can repurpose an old dish to concentrate the signal and replace the LNB with a receiver?
The large difference between the wave length of satellite frequencies and OTA will make a typical Ku dish nearly useless at OTA frequencies. If you have an old C-band dish about 10' in diameter, you can get performance similar to the 4-bay panel designs.

Old 5-Feb-2015, 6:08 PM   #9
seemit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The large difference between the wave length of satellite frequencies and OTA will make a typical Ku dish nearly useless at OTA frequencies. If you have an old C-band dish about 10' in diameter, you can get performance similar to the 4-bay panel designs.
Thanks. I did not know that. looks like I'll use the dish for WiFi scanning then.
Old 5-Feb-2015, 6:16 PM   #10
GroundUrMast

That sounds like a much better use of a retired satellite dish... The wave lengths are far more similar.