TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Feb-2014, 2:16 AM   #1
dwmcqueen

Looking for additional recommendations

Hi,

My report is here - http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...5b9466ae968412

I am looking for recommendations as to what to get to get all the KC stations (and maybe that one from St. Joseph to the north).

I plan on mounting in my attic.

Thanks!
dwmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 7:53 AM   #2
teleview

+=>
----
--->Above The Peak of the Roof install a , Antennas Direct , DB8e , UHF channels 14 thru 51 antenna from , www.amazon.com .

And aim the DB8e antenna at about 140 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna.

-------

Above the Peak of the Roof install a , www.antennacraft.net , Y10-7-13 , VHF high band channels 7 thru 13 anten a aimed at about 350 degree magnetic compass direction.

---------------

Install a , RCA , TVPRAMP1R , preamplifier.

Operate the RCA preamp in the Separate antenna mode.

The FM radio trap switch will be in the , on/in position.

Connect the DB8e , UHF antenna to the UHF connection of the RCA preamp.

Connect the Y10-7-13 VHF antenna to the VHF connection of the RCA preamp.

------------

For 1 Tv connected use No splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-2D , 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a , Holland Electronics , HFS-3D ,3 way splitter.

Buy the , HFS-2D and HFS-3D , splitters at , www.hollandectronics.com , of , www.amazon.com .

--------------

Here are some Above The Roof Antenna Mounts.

www.ronard.com/909911.html
Use the , ronard(911) , 5 foot tripod antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/34424560.html
Use the , ronard(4560) , eave antenna mount.

www.ronard.com/ychim.html
Measure around the chimney and use a , ronard(2212) , ronard(2219) , ronard(2224) .

-------------

As always , trees and tree leaves have a Negative Effect on Broadcast Tv Reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own , attic , roof and building.

Some and not all Negative Effects are.

Absorbing and Blocking Reception.

Multi-Path Reflections Tv Signals Bouncing All Around.

The Brst Pratice is to install the , DB8e antenna and the Y10-7-23 antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception , South East and North.

Last edited by teleview; 7-Feb-2014 at 8:38 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 7-Feb-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
StephanieS

Hello dwmcqueen.

Looking at your tvfool plot, I don't recommend you install your antenna in your attic. You are in a 2-edge situation. 1 and 2 edge situations mean you don't have line of sight to the transmitters you wish to receive from. These situations can cause signals to bounce around, vary quite a bit in signal strength and generally be much more fussy than a line of sight signal.

Attic installations knock down 20-30 percent of existing signal. A few of the Kansas City signals are in moderate strength. With your plot and installing an antenna in the attic, those signals would be pushed into weak and likely unreliable reception. FOX and NBC are among these.

You are fortunate that Kansas City is exclusively UHF (real channels 14 and up). This makes reception a one antenna installation appropriate.

I would purchase an Antennas Direct DB8 and mount it outside on your roof. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=853748001088. Orientate to magnetic heading 142.

I would expect in this situation to see all Kansas City broadcasts.

There are other considerations such as how many TVs do you want to hook up such and lengths of coax. We can discuss that as we continue the conversation.

My main point in this post is to move you away from the attic install. The likelyhood of satisfactory attic reception isn't great with your 2-edge paths and signal strengths.

Cheers.

EDIT: St. Joseph KQTV will not be received in any type of attic installation. Signal strength is very weak. Only an aggressive outdoor dedicated high-VHF antenna will have a chance at this signal such as an Antennacraft Y10-7-13. KQTV is doable, but it would require a two antenna system combined together. One at Kansas City (DB8) and the other St. Joseph (Y10-7-13). If you want to do this, it isn't a terribly difficult setup.

Last edited by StephanieS; 7-Feb-2014 at 12:55 PM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 2:22 PM   #4
dwmcqueen

Thank you - this is very helpful. Would an Antennas Direct 91XG also work for the KC stations?

The St. Joseph station ultimately isn't important - thought it was close enough I could get it in, but may not be worth the effort. I believe I already have the Y10-7-13. Are any of the other non-KC stations doable?

I can tell you right now I do have a Lava HD-2605 (yes, I know), in the attic. This does pick up all of the stations, but occasionally has slight artifacts and certain stations (KSHB and KMCI) tend to have more frequent issues tuning in. Strangely FOX has no issue . The attic install is more or less a function of HOA rules - though I can seek approval, but it may take a few months (and I am certainly not installing on the roof until spring).

I only have two TVs and one multi-tuner (2) DVR to hook up. The DVR is connected next to one of the TVs.

Last edited by dwmcqueen; 7-Feb-2014 at 2:28 PM.
Old 7-Feb-2014, 2:43 PM   #5
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

The 91XG, DB8, DB8e, or the ClearStream 4 are all viable selections for this location. Personally, I'd just go with the 91XG. Best bang for the buck, so to speak. However, if you want to ruffle the least HOA feathers and ignore your own federal rights under the FCC's OTARD rule, then the C4 is the least obtrusive of the group.

Because you are in a valley, the UHF signals have to bend to get down to your elevation. UHF signals tend to diffract poorly and unequally, so it is very common for antennas in 2-edge situations to have to be adjusted vertically (and sometimes horizontally) several times in order to find a "sweet" spot where all the UHF signals play nice. Be patient, whether in the attic or outdoors.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Feb-2014 at 3:25 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 3:33 PM   #6
GroundUrMast

The FCC is actually on your side... http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

The bottom line is, you don't have to seek or obtain the HOA's approval in order to install or use an antenna for reception of OTA TV.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Feb-2014, 8:49 PM   #7
teleview

+=>
----
I am recommending the DB8e antenna not the DB8 , C4 or 91XG.

Reason for the DB8e antenna is.

Tv signals over distance and tending to bend over hills and mountains , make the Tv signal shift and move up and down and side to side.

The Big Broad Flat Upright Surface of the DB8e antenna will have reception elements in the signal path as the signal shifts up and down and side to side.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Feb-2014 at 6:03 AM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 8-Feb-2014, 4:49 AM   #8
dwmcqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The FCC is actually on your side... http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

The bottom line is, you don't have to seek or obtain the HOA's approval in order to install or use an antenna for reception of OTA TV.
Thanks for the info - still need to wait for the snow to melt!
Old 8-Feb-2014, 7:06 AM   #9
teleview

+=>
-----
The HDB8X is simple 2 , 4 bay antennas design.

The HDB8X , X shaped reception elements are simple design.

The HDB8X , antenna couplers are simple antenna couplers.

The HDB8X , claim of 24 dB antenna gain is inflated and Not The Truth.

The quality of the HDB8X is on the low side of avarage.

----------

The DB8e , is a improved 2 , 4 bay bow tie type antenna.

The DB8e , Curved bow tie reception elements are a improved design for better reception.

The DB8e , antenna couplers are a improved design for improved reliable antenna coupling.

The DB8e , claim of 17 dB antenna gain is Closer to the Truth.

The quality of the DB8e antenna is high.