TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 1-Aug-2019, 5:04 AM   #1
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Antenna spotting in Kenosha #4

Just for fun.

While driving around K-Town, I found these 2 antennas with a strange-looking device at the UHF / reflector end. I believe the two antennas are different models possibly from the same manufacturer. Strangely, one of the antennas has double elements on one side but not on the other, as far as I can tell. Is it possible that all the elements on only one side of that antenna got broken off in an ice storm or something?

I've never seen this particular antenna before and it's even weirder that I found another one just like it a few minutes later.
Would anybody be willing to identify these and what type devices that I zoomed in on in the final attachment?

20190731_184321-1024x768.jpg

20190731_184242-1024x768.jpg

20190731_185125-768x1024.jpg

Here's that weird-looking basket type device. Is it a reflector?

20190731_233242.jpg

Last edited by bobsgarage; 26-Mar-2020 at 6:55 PM.
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2019, 5:15 AM   #2
OTAFAN

Hey bobs:

I saw your latest antenna posting above a couple days ago, then I couldn't find it listed anywhere??? I looked several times up and down the forum's including this one, but to no avail. Finally, I just looked up bobsgarage and found your latest thread (this one) and decided to take a shot at it.

I think both antennas are VHF, except the third photo where the second antenna is obviously some sort of UHF director. But the "area 51" stuff on the front end of the larger top antenna, could be some super duper UHF reflector and such. (Or maybe it's even alien technology LOL???)

I'll be a monkey's uncle if I'm anywhere right about this! But I wanted to give it try, seeing I'm O-4 with your previous antenna queries. I do enjoy you posting this thread and hope you will keep doing it.

I'm sure one of TV Fool's good Techs could knock this out of the park without much effort. Hopefully one or more of them will post the answer soon. I'm curious as always.

Thanks bobs!

P.S. I see TV Fool has this thread posted about half way down in Antennas. Maybe that's why I missed it before. I thought any new thread would be near the top???

Last edited by OTAFAN; 4-Aug-2019 at 5:26 AM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4-Aug-2019, 6:49 PM   #3
tripelo

JFD & Area Special Antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]Just for fun.

While driving around K-Town,...

Here's that weird-looking basket type device. Is it a reflector?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
Thanks bobs!...
Yes, second that. Thanks bobs. Interesting antennas.

The top antenna in the 1st image above is a JFD UHF/VHF combo.

In Bobs 1st image, the front of the antenna is on the left, the part on the left is the UHF section.
The disks are directors, the part to the right of the directors is the UHF driven part
(stacked log periodic UHF elements).
The remainder V-log portion using tubular elements is a V-Log antenna for Hi and Low VHF.
The bumps in some of the tubular elements are capacitors.
The capacitors shift the relationship between the fundamental (Lo VHF) & 3rd harmonic (Hi VHF)
The capacitors allow more elements to perform the dual function (Hi/Lo resonators).

The lower antenna in the first image appears to be a VHF-only 'Area Special'.
An Area or Regional Special was custom built by a manufacturer to accommodate specific locations.
Situations like where the main signals were coming from different directions.

That particular antenna appears to be designed to receive VHF-Lo and,
VHF-Hi from the left, while simultaneously receiving VHF-Hi from the right
(possibly VHF-Lo as well but not enough detail in image to determine).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JFD 1969.jpg (57.5 KB, 1668 views)
File Type: gif JFD 1969.gif (21.8 KB, 1628 views)

Last edited by tripelo; 4-Aug-2019 at 6:52 PM. Reason: punctuation
tripelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-Aug-2019, 1:36 PM   #4
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
Hey bobs:

I saw your latest antenna posting above a couple days ago, then I couldn't find it listed anywhere??? I looked several times up and down the forum's including this one, but to no avail. Finally, I just looked up bobsgarage and found your latest thread (this one) and decided to take a shot at it.

I think both antennas are VHF, except the third photo where the second antenna is obviously some sort of UHF director. But the "area 51" stuff on the front end of the larger top antenna, could be some super duper UHF reflector and such. (Or maybe it's even alien technology

I'm sure one of TV Fool's good Techs could knock this out of the park without much effort. Hopefully one or more of them will post the answer soon. I'm curious as always.

Thanks bobs!

P.S. I see TV Fool has this thread posted about half way down in Antennas. Maybe that's why I missed it before. I thought any new thread would be near the top???
Hahaha! It's an Area 51 antenna .Top secret!

The reason you don't see this thread near the top is because "sticky threads" in this forum. Some of those sticky / permanent threads are out dated.

I've been waiting for somebody to reply. I checked daily for a few and then gave up. I just do it to spice things up over here can get more people to use the forum..

Last edited by bobsgarage; 13-Aug-2019 at 3:42 PM.
Old 14-Aug-2019, 2:09 AM   #5
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripelo View Post
Yes, second that. Thanks bobs. Interesting antennas.

The lower antenna in the first image appears to be a VHF-only 'Area Special'.
An Area or Regional Special was custom built by a manufacturer to accommodate specific locations.
Situations like where the main signals were coming from different directions.

That particular antenna appears to be designed to receive VHF-Lo and,
VHF-Hi from the left, while simultaneously receiving VHF-Hi from the right
(possibly VHF-Lo as well but not enough detail in image to determine).

Tripelo, what can you tell us about the "area special" antennas? Did all the manufacturers make them at the time?

Were they custom-ordered by installers? Or were they mass produced for a certain Market and sold in hardware stores or electronic stores?

there's a lot of those on the rooftops. looks like it was a popular at the time. I remember taking what was left of my antenna off the roof before I put on my Radio Shack VU190, it was very similar.

It's fascinating to me what more can you tell us about these "Area special" antennas?

Last edited by bobsgarage; 14-Aug-2019 at 2:12 AM.
Old 21-Aug-2019, 7:17 AM   #6
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsgarage View Post

Tripelo, what can you tell us about the "area special" antennas? Did all the manufacturers make them at the time?

Were they custom-ordered by installers? Or were they mass produced for a certain Market and sold in hardware stores or electronic stores?

there's a lot of those on the rooftops. looks like it was a popular at the time. I remember taking what was left of my antenna off the roof before I put on my Radio Shack VU190, it was very similar.

It's fascinating to me what more can you tell us about these "Area special" antennas?
Hey Bob,
I was looking for this too, back when you set me the link, but also couldn't find it.

Those area antennas look like "Cut" antennas for a specific channel. ONTV Ch 44 from the early 80s would be an example. The one w/ the bird perched on it looks like it may be up the street from me.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote