TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Jun-2016, 3:16 AM   #1
moonmonkey

confused about reception.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbe59b60e06c
I live in middleburg fl . 25 miles from many jacksonville florida stations. i live in a flood plain,, so i know my antennas elevation is (60 feet above meen sea level ) and 35 feet above the ground ,but im in a low spot about 15 feet below most of the surrounding area. surrounded by miles of pine trees. i bought one of the rca ant800f . it is a amplified . when i had it stuck out a window on the second floor (as a test) it got 4.1,25.1,30.1,, and 59.1. but after mounting it above the chemney. it now gets 4.1,7.1,12.1,25.1 .. so i picked up the vhf-hi channel 12 NBC ,which is great ,,but i lost the 30.1 FOX . its a small antenna so i coule raise it maybe another 5-6 feet (wife wont let me mount guy wires on the new house) . or do i need to buy a yagi, or construct a 4 bay?? thanks!
moonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Jun-2016, 3:45 PM   #2
Tower Guy

The RCA antenna that you bought is not the right antenna for you. It has no directivity. You need a directional antenna that works on both Hi-VHF and UHF, or separate VHF-Hi and UHF antennas.

A four bay homebrew antenna won't pick up your VHF stations but could be used in conjunction with a VHF antenna from MCM Electronics.

In your location I'd be considering an HD7694P or larger dual band antenna. You may still need a preamp depending on your coax lengths and number of splits.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-Jun-2016, 2:24 AM   #3
moonmonkey

will i need an antenna preamp with this??

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbf93f498d28.
the antenna i got to replace the rca omni unit is a cm 3020 per the advice above about an antenna with directivity. , and i got a 4 port distrubution amp cm3414 -4 ,so i can view on 3 tv at once if needed. the antenna will have 100 feet of quad sheild coax,, then into the distrubution amp and finally thru another 75 feet of coax running thru the house. ( the question,,, is will i need an antenna preamp in addition to the 4 port distribution amp.??
Old 18-Jun-2016, 2:14 AM   #4
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

The CM3020 should work OK but it is much larger than the Winegard HD7694P suggested by Tower Guy because it covers VHF-Low, real channels 2-6, in addition to VHF-High and UHF.

It is the real channel that determines which antenna is needed.
VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51

Aim the antenna at 48 degrees magnetic and try it with one TV at the bottom end of the 100 ft coax. If that is OK, then add a passive splitter and the other TVs and see how they do.

You should get down to CW, but maybe not ION.

WJAX will give you CBS. WFOX will give you Fox.

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...pe=dBm&height=

If you don't get CW, add a preamp near the antenna, and the power inserter at the lower end of the 100 ft coax. Then add a passive splitter. If the signals are too weak for the other TVs, replace the passive splitter with a 3414.

A suitable preamp would be the CM7778 or the Antennas Direct Juice.

If the antenna is outside, the coax shield should be grounded with a grounding block that is connected to the house electrical system ground with 10 gauge copper wire for electrical safety and to reject interference. For further compliance with the electrical code (NEC), the mast should also be grounded in a similar manner to drain any buildup of static charge, but the system will not survive a direct strike.

Last edited by rabbit73; 18-Jun-2016 at 2:28 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Jun-2016, 3:04 AM   #5
moonmonkey

thanks ,,i will follow the instructions Rabbit,, antenna is due here sat june18, if it comes i will have it up and running and post my results Thanks again.
Old 18-Jun-2016, 10:13 PM   #6
moonmonkey

got my cm3020 up, and its good!

ok ,took down the rca800 omni antenna,, and just finished installing the cm3020
i now get 4,7,12,25,30,47,59 and all the sub channels. that is running 100 feet of quad braid coax to the junction box on the house and then probably another 75 feet run going into the house. would the cm3414 distrubution amp help at all,to pull in more or should i get the 7778 preamp?? i guess the cw,,real ch 34 would be the only other one i know that i would like.. my tv found the channel ,, but wont display it ,,it says failed to receive broadcast,, {{{thanks to tower guy and rabbit for the help}}}
Old 19-Jun-2016, 1:02 AM   #7
moonmonkey

distribution amp helped.

i answered my own question i guess,, i installed the cm 3414 distrubution amp and i now get 17 the cw. in addition to all the others so im happy.
Old 19-Jun-2016, 2:55 AM   #8
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Thanks for the report; glad it worked out for you.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote