TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 11-Jul-2016, 3:05 PM   #1
skatingrocker17

Thinking of Moving Antenna - Trying Different Pre-Amp

I'm thinking of moving my antenna (DB4e with VHF kit) from my attic to the roof of the porch. It would still be about 20 feet above ground level, but would be outside. I realize the my OTA TV / FM signals are very strong, I was thinking of trying the Juice pre-amp. Most of my stations are very close but the Canadian stations are farther away and in another direction. I currently can receive them, but CBET VHF 9 can be spotty, at times.

This is more of a hobby for me. I actually have DirecTV, too. I am using the LNA-100 currently because that's what made the most sense at the apartment I was at previously. The goal is to receive as many stations as possible.

Outline: Antenna (attic) -> 50ft coax -> LNA-100 -> 2-way splitter (basement)
Split 1: Goes directly to a TV
Split 2: Is combined with DirecTV signal in the basement, carried over 1 coax cable to where the TV is and then split 3 times. Once to the TV, once to the DirecTV receiver, and once to a HTPC.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cb382ea90cba
http://www.fmfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

I am currently still using the LNA-100 as an attempt to overcome the splitting of the signal. Would the Juice pre-amp be a better option? Would putting my antenna outside be that beneficial to my reception?
skatingrocker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2016, 5:21 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Moving the antenna outside is usually the one thing that is far more beneficial than all the rest. Location and height are also key factors.

If this is primarily a hobby, experimenting with different preamp or distribution amp may be fun and educational...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-Jul-2016, 5:35 PM   #3
skatingrocker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
Moving the antenna outside is usually the one thing that is far more beneficial than all the rest. Location and height are also key factors.

If this is primarily a hobby, experimenting with different preamp or distribution amp may be fun and educational...
I will likely try the antenna outside tomorrow to see what kind of results I get.

I think the LNA-100 inline-amp filters out FM signals but I don't believe the Juice amp does, which may cause issues. But I have heard that the Juice pre-amp does do well when powerful stations are nearby which also applies to my situation.

I may pick it up on Amazon Prime day since I can get some sort of discount with my Amazon Visa but I will probably wait until I can get it for the right price. I doubt that $80 will get me any more channels that I already have.

I think that putting my antenna outside will improve my CBET (vhf 9) reception which is the only station that I occasionally have problems with breaking up.
skatingrocker17 is offline   Reply With Quote