TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 1-Sep-2012, 3:48 PM   #1
phillytv

need help figuring out what digital antenna to buy

I have a flat screen Samsung TV model no. LNR268WX/XAA and am thinking of buying a digital antenna for it. I just ran a tvfool report and am wondering based on this report what antenna I should buy. The Bestbuy nearest to me recommended a clearstream micron indoor long-rang digital tv antenna (http://www.amazon.com/ClearStream-Mi...pr_product_top). Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e7797ee2c7ac54
phillytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2012, 4:33 PM   #2
teleview

ALL questions and answers about broadcast tv reception and More.

The following is a Teleview - Recommendation for Broadcast Tv Reception.

If the building is wood frame and wood or vinyl siding , and no metal backed insulation.

Then use a TERK HDTVi indoor antenna aimed at about 340 degree magnetic compass direction.

The TERK HDTVi is a High Quality indoor Tv antenna.

The HDTVi is a antenna indoor antenna that has Earned My Trust and Recommendation and has earned the trust and recommendation of some other advisors here at Tvfool.

Here is how to aim indoor antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

If the building has , metal backed insulation , metal roof , solar panels , concrete walls , concrete blocks , cinder blocks , bricks from ground to roof , big rocks for walls , reception will be reduced or blocked.

As always trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of reducing or blocking Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions.

The Tv Must Channel Scan for Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , sometimes named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

If there is reception problem , then put the HDTVi antenna in a north window , and connect to the Tv with a long coax.

Last edited by teleview; 2-Sep-2012 at 3:32 AM.
Old 1-Sep-2012, 4:46 PM   #3
thom

"indoor long-range antenna" is an oxymoron.

However, you are in fine circumstances. You have many powerful stations close by on one heading.

If you want something simple and don't want to mess with an antenna in the attic or on the roof, The ClearStream can do the job. It's not explicitly a VHF antenna, but it will pull in the stronger VHF stations you have.

This does assume that you have no obstructions nearby (buildings, trees), no aluminum siding, and your home doesn't have steel framing.

PS I'd be a little suspicious of the $9 one on Amazon, though. These should be around $35.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2012, 5:47 PM   #4
teleview

The HDTVi is a High Quality Indoor antenna that has Earned My Trust and Continued Recommendation here at Tv Fool.

And has also Earned the Trust and Recommendation of other Advisors here at Tvfool.

For the type and kind of indoor , the HDTVi is in Fact Designed to be a long distance indoor type antenna.

It has the long VHF channels 2 thru 13 dipole rod antennas.

And has a Log Periodic design UHF antenna for channels 14 thru 51.

Last edited by teleview; 2-Sep-2012 at 3:25 AM.
Old 1-Sep-2012, 5:57 PM   #5
phillytv

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have a number of obstacles to work with it. Our 3-story townhouse is made of brick, but not steel frame or aluminum siding and, argh, there are trees around the compound where the house is located (including one in our small backyard). We're also surrounded by other townhouses in every direction. I'm assuming reception will be reduced or minimal (in fact, we don't have cable because of the brick in the compound; the neighbors couldn't agree on tearing up the brick to lay down the cable lines, so it's either Direct TV or bust in this house). Is it still worth buying a TERK HDTVi or some other antenna? Or should I not even bother and stick with our Apple TV/Netflix. Thanks for the quick responses. Y'all are great!
phillytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2012, 7:47 PM   #6
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

You have been given good advice.

I think it is worth trying the TERK HDTVi. For such an important decision you would only be risking about $30 to make some tests. If you buy it at a place that will accept returns, there is no money lost. However, you might want to keep it as a backup since its cost is a small fraction of the cost of the TV.

Because you have so many factors that affect the reception at your location, you must make some tests to find out how that antenna, or the Clear Stream, will work for you.

If you have a north facing window (no metal screen or low-e glass) that faces the stations at the top of the list, it should work best there. It is a good idea to try different indoor locations for an antenna, even if it means adding a coax extension with an F81 coupler.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103648
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103459

Keep in mind that the presence of your body near the antenna might affect reception. Maybe putting the antenna in the attic might work, if the construction doesn't attenuate the signals too much.

You will be using the rabbit ears for ABC and PBS; they must be adjusted for optimum length and angle.

Last edited by rabbit73; 4-Sep-2012 at 12:00 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Sep-2012, 8:43 PM   #7
teleview

Yes as in YES buy the HDTVi antenna.

The Tv transmissions are Very Strong at your location.

Part of the reason I put the information about the metal siding and bricks and etc. , in my recommendations because there are question askers that want to receive all of the very weak Tv channels at there location with a indoor antenna inside of concrete building that is wrapped with three layers metal siding and is in between 2 , 2 story houses. And chose not to install a outside antenna. And then get mad because one channel is received.

It is to make a point that Tv reception is not magic.

During the 70 years of Analog Tv transmission and reception it was fairly common for the presence of a person close to a indoor antenna to have a effect on reception.

With Digital Tv , I almost never see any effect on Digital Tv reception when I am close to a indoor antenna.

I do not recall any reports of question askers that are receiving Digital Tv with a indoor antenna of any effect close to a indoor antenna.

Last edited by teleview; 1-Sep-2012 at 10:10 PM.