TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Nov-2013, 9:39 PM   #1
Ustauk

VHF In Concrete Apartment

Here's my TV Fool Report

I have an RCA ANT1050 antenna. I'm in a third floor concrete high rise apartment, with no balcony. My building is surrounded by similar towers. My apartment only has windows that face north, and has apartments to the east,west,southwest, and southeast, and apartments, elevators, and stairwells to the south.

TVFool needs to update the virtual channel listing for Edmonton, as it is not current.

With the ANT1050 antenna lying flat and facing southwest, I can get CBC (Real 42.1, Virtual 5.1), CityTV (Real 17, Virtual 51.1), and Omni (Real 44, virtual 56.1) with three to four bars.

I'm interested in particular in getting CTV (Real 12, Virtual 3.1) and Global (Real 13, Virtual 13.1). No matter how I position the antenna, I cannot seem to get more then a single bar on these channels with my current antenna. I can get three bars and clear signal on these channels from a nearby park (TV Fool Report for the park. I'm using a Kworld ATSC USB stick hooked up to my PC inside and a netbook outside).

I'd really like to get the two above channels, since I'd to see Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Person on Interest, and Sleepy Hollow in that beautiful, low compression OTA signal everyone keeps talking about. Is there any particular indoor antenna that would help me get these high VHF channels in my apartment? Would something with rabbit ears help? Or am I fracked by the tower position in relation to my concrete bunker of an apartment? Thanks!

Last edited by Ustauk; 7-Nov-2013 at 9:44 PM.
Ustauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Nov-2013, 5:06 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

The Terk HDTVi (not the same as the HDTVa) is an indoor design with more traditional support of the VHF bands.

Some folks are able to find an indoor location for a small outdoor antenna such as the RCA ANT-751R, which has a bit more gain in the H-VHF band.

In the end, concrete may be too formidable an obstruction...

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2014, 8:54 PM   #3
Ustauk

With an unamplified RCA ANT121 Rabbit Ear/Loop antenna (got it half price, may have been an instore sale) in concert with ANT1450 low-noise signal amplifier (both from Princess Auto, I was able to easily get CBC, CityTV, and OMNI (UHF).

With all the rebar in my centennial era apartment, I've been able to get Global (VHF 13), but only in one particular spot in the whole room, just below and slightly away from the window, and only with one particular angle of the rabbit ears (away from the tower, I must be getting a bounced signal), and only, oddly enough with the rabbit ears completley collapsed. So far, no luck getting CTV (VHF12), which is odd considering its on the same tower as Global.

While leaving the antenna in the same position, after unhooking the amplifier I only get CityTV (UHF), while CBC, Omni (both UHF) and Global (VHF) all are lost. So in this case the amplifier is definitely a help, not a hindrance.
Old 22-Feb-2014, 1:03 AM   #4
teleview

+=>
----
I agree that there is a disconnect from what is receivable and what tvfool shows and the disconnect is getting wider , I think most of the situation/problem is on the Canada end.
Slow or no reporting and disconnected reporting of the different agencies of Canada such as and not limited to the Tv Broadcasters of Canada and Industry Canada.

-----------------------------------

Of the tvfool report , I refer to the Digital Current Plus Pending Applications Included Report.

Not just the Current Report.

-----------------------------------

It is no secret that the Tv Broadcasters of Canada and Industry Canada do not get along.

It is no secret that some People of Power in Canada and in Industry Canada would like to do away with Free Tv Broadcasting and , sell/give , all the Tv channels to the wireless providers and cable and satellite providers so you and millions of other people of Canada would have No free Tv and you will , pay and pay and pay and pay.

http://www.tvtechnology.com/feature-...f-track/206775

------------------------------------

As to reception of channels 12 and 13 , it will tough at best.

As you can see looking at the tvfool radar map.

The Tv stations are to the ~ East South East ~ and ~ West ~ from your location and concrete and steal are blocking reception.

Reception at your current location is a Test.

I recommend that if some buildings are to the , North , North East , North West.

Aim a , http://www.antennacraft.net , HBU11K antenna from inside , aim the HBU11K antenna out a ~ North ~ facing window at some other buildings to try and get a reflected signal.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

And also try reception without and with a , Winegard , LNA-100 Boost amplifier.

--------------------

And also , Digital Tuners can develop - Digital Glitches - that are not cleared out with simple channel scans.

To clear tuner do Double Rescan.

http://www.wchstv.com/DoubleReScanAlert.pdf

--------------------

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc.

http://www.antennacraft.net

http://www.saveandreplay.com

http://www.trentondistributors.com

--------------------

You can also check the Tv stations web sites to see if can stream the Tv station programing over the internet.

--------------------

Can move to a different apartment that has a good view to the , East South East and West South West.

Last edited by teleview; 23-Feb-2014 at 4:52 PM. Reason: Clarify information and typos.
Old 22-Feb-2014, 9:22 PM   #5
Ustauk

I finally got all channels today, including CTV. I moved the antenna a bit to the west of the north facing window, with the rabbit ears in a V and UHF loop straight up and down and both facing east/west. I figure I'm getting a better bounce from the southeast signal bouncing off from a northeast angle from building north of me, while the closer UHF signals remain strong bouncing between all the buildings around me; it was a bit like a game of pool getting my signal Thanks for the help, everyone

Last edited by Ustauk; 22-Feb-2014 at 9:27 PM.
Old 22-Feb-2014, 9:31 PM   #6
teleview

+=>
-----
Yes it is Great Fun , looking at the surrounding buildings and thinking of reflections and angles and testing reception.

And Most of the time the reception is Ok.