TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Mar-2010, 6:13 PM   #1
coco

Stacker Antenna from DENNYSANTENNASERVICE.COM

My zipcode is 70374 .Has anyone tried the Stacker Antenna ? I was wondering if this antenna would work for me or should I get a Winegard Series 769 antenna.I have a Winegard AP8700 preamp along with a rotor. I have 75' of coax with a 4 way splitter. My present antenna is an old Radio Shack VU190 that is missing a lot of rods due to hurricanes. I'd be thankful for any help in deciding what antenna would be best for my area.
coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Mar-2010, 7:43 PM   #2
teleview

Stacker television antennas

All manner of stacker combination type Tv antennas were popular in the late 50's thru the 60's and 70's. The stacker combination Tv Antennas Are Nothing New. Most of your digital television stations at New Orleans and are broadcasting in the UHF 14 thru 51 and VHF High 7 thru 13 with none in the VHF Low 2 thru 6. Please note that this stacker Tv antenna Is Not Designed for the reception of VHF Low 2 thru 6. I know that many people are like a coiled up tightly compressed spring waiting to pounce/jump on a Tv antenna. At tvfool are the Actual and Virtual Television channels. I always , as in always go to the >>Start MAPS<< part of the tvfool web site where I look up the Actual and Virtual channel numbers. Examples are like this. Actual channel--> 40 (6.1)<--Virtual channel. or could be like this Actual channel--> 06 (40.1) <--Virtual channel. The point is that there are Actual channels and Virtual channels. At your location you Will Not need an antenna amplifier for 1 or 2 Tv's , might need it with 4 Tv's. I would try it with out a preamplifier first.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Jun-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 18-Mar-2010, 8:30 PM   #3
teleview

Actual and Virtual Tv channels

Of those people that become aware of Actual and Virtual Tv channels. Some ask why is this? Here is the main reason. This is known as LEGACY Television Channel Numbers. As an example , lets say that a Tv station has transmitted on analog Tv channel VHF 4 for the past 60 years. This number 4 is firmly fixed in peoples minds. Now at and after the switch to digital Tv transmission the station now is transmitting on digital channel UHF 29.1 . Ok now with digital Tv has the ability to put ANY channel number on the Tv screen for the viewer to look at. The viewer has been looking at the channel number 4 for 60 years so this is the number the viewer expects to see. So the Tv station keeps the Legacy channel number of VHF 4. Even though the real and actual channel is digital channel UHF 29.1 . YES digital Tv can do this , AND A LOT MORE. There are many other ways and reasons to use virtual/digital channel numbering. For the reason and purpose of reception of digital television you need to know the actual channel so you will know what antenna to get. There is a popular Urban Myth that all digital television channels are in the UHF , this is a straight out lie. I always go to the Radar Plot Map and the >>Start MAPS<< part of tvfool to find the Actual and Virtual television channels.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Jun-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 18-Mar-2010, 9:10 PM   #4
coco

Stacker orWinegard series 769 ?

What would be the best antenna for me the Stacker or a Winegard HD7696P
This is my TV fool readout:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9038b0bdd6e7cb

Last edited by coco; 6-Jan-2020 at 1:42 AM. Reason: report was no longer on server
Old 19-Mar-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
teleview

Stacker or not.

First I will state that 1 dB of signal gain either positive or negative gain is not important. A careful reading of what little spesifications there is for the Stacker shows there is a positive gain of 1dB gain with the Stacker across the VHF High and UHF channels as a direct comparison with the Winegard , this is not important. I would go with the Winegard HD 7696P and here are the reasons why , Higher quality of construction. The Winegard HD 7696P does not have what looks like a flexible connecting jumper on the Stacker VHF High antenna and UHF antenna. Less moving parts means will last longer in the weather. The answer is for a rooftop Tv antenna the Winegard HD 7696P is a better antenna. Another reason to choose the Winegard antenna is the weather protected cartridge housing matching transformer that is built in to the antenna

Last edited by teleview; 26-Mar-2010 at 7:35 AM. Reason: Add more information
Old 19-Mar-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
Dave Loudin

Based on the real channel numbers (what actual RF the station is using), you need high-VHF and UHF. The stacker looks like overkill. The Winegard would work, and so would an Antennacraft HBU-33. Good luck!
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Mar-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
teleview

Stacker or not.

I present the facts. Here is a helpful hint. The RG 6 coax that is connected between power supply and the preamplifier should have a solid copper center wire , not copper covered steel. The reason is the solid copper has less resistance to a preamplifier power supply voltage and current. The copper covered steel has more resistance. This does make a difference and I can present links to the information. Or you can look it up your self on the internet.

Last edited by teleview; 26-Mar-2010 at 7:38 AM.
Old 21-Mar-2010, 3:22 AM   #8
Tigerbangs
TV Reception Maven

Send a message via AIM to Tigerbangs Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerbangs
I agree: my choice would be the HD-7696P from Winegard, as well. Consider using a Winegard HDP-269 preamplifier if you plan to run multiple TV sets from the same antenna
Tigerbangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-May-2010, 2:28 AM   #9
coco

Very happy with "stacker"

After much consideration I decided to buy the "Stacker " antenna from Dennys.I put it up 6 weeks ago and I am very satisfied with its performance.With the antenna at 339 degrees I can get all the Baton Rouge stations even WAFB{ERP under6watts}plus all the New Orleans stations.This antenna is actually manufactured by winegard! It is very well constructed ;and at 70" long has less wind load than the 110" 7696P Check http://dennysantennaservice.com/best-tv-antenna.html this site for antenna comparison tests,I think you will be surprised

Last edited by coco; 26-Mar-2014 at 3:13 AM. Reason: the comparison test was no longer found on server
Old 19-May-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
coco

After much consideration I decided to get the stacker antenna.It is very well built in fact it is manufactured by winegard.I 've been having it for 6 weeks now and I"m very satisfied with its performance. I have it aimed at 335 degrees and catch all the Baton Rouge as well as the New Orleans stations.The following link is side by side test of the stacker against channel master,winegard &antennacraft. http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/...V_Antenna.html
Old 22-May-2010, 4:57 AM   #11
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Carl , where is the Spectrum Analyzer? . I think Rita has it and she out in the field doing transmission and reception analysis for the KHII TV Group.

Last edited by teleview; 26-May-2010 at 1:12 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 23-May-2010, 6:44 AM   #12
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

dennysantennaservice . The marker is the average signal strength shown. I e-mailed and then received a call from Winegard. Yes the antenna is manufactured by winegard. The antenna is made to dennys specifications and is not a winegard antenna. I ask the engineer I was talking to what he thought about dennys claims. His comment was that a Tv antenna can be evaluated from many different points of view and engineering facts , and his voice was quiet loud. . My comment is dennys evaluation is 'average signal strength' as shown by a Tv tuner. Not much of a evaluation.
Old 25-May-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
il10

Stacker works for me!

After reading this and other threads, calling Denny's antenna and gathering all of the info. I could I decided to go with the HD Stacker. I've had the antenna installed just about 2 weeks and I couldn't be happier! It's the 3rd. outdoor antenna I have tried. I am very satisfied with the quality, ease of assembly and the performance of this antenna. I can now watch the Chicago stations uninterrupted.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...9fbe5dcc235bda
il10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Jun-2010, 8:15 PM   #14
OKintheStix

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
dennysantennaservice . The marker is the average signal strength shown. The antenna is made to dennys specifications and is not a winegard antenna. I ask the engineer I was talking to what he thought about dennys claims. His comment was that a Tv antenna can be evaluated from many different points of view and engineering facts , and his voice was quiet loud. . My comment is dennys evaluation is 'average signal strength' as shown by a Tv tuner. Not much of a evaluation.
Well Teleview, I'm your huckleberry.( ala Tombstone the movie ) I have a Tektronix spectrum analyzer, a 50 ft. mast and a Stacker from Denny's on the way. Oh, and I also have a vintage RCA crystal calibrated bar generator and amp and Simpson certified frequency meter and field strength meter to do near and far field evaluation. With Winegards approved diapole and a 30 acre yard to do it in and access to thousands of acres of test range around me we'll figure this thing out once and for all! Or as Denny did the test like 98% of OTA Television viewers across our great land; via the signal strength meter on his set top tuner! BUILT BY WINEGARD ( or to their specs at least). Sooo... if that isn't much of an evaluation, I surely don't know what the general public would perceive as one!?! He also adds that ANY manufacturer of an antenna he compared to is welcome to a re-test at the same location as long as he can publish the results. Sounds fair enough to me. Maybe your EE from Winegard ought to get some extra frequent flier miles and go prove Denny wrong. Just because he doesn't have a big name like Winegard or Channel Meister etc... doesn't mean he can't tweek the wave-trap a bit and make a living at it. You call up your EE at Winegard to send me antennas I will plug and play and post the results for all to see. My mast uses a mounted a.c. powered winch on the bottom of the main mast to tilt and right itself in mere minutes, and is capable of 75 feet or more if that is necessary. With tornado season on-going I think 50ft. will work well enough. Winegard tests with 30 ft. Oh, and my selection of the HD Stacker is based on averaging of wind load (75 mph in my county)and ability to handle ice load versus dB gained with a Winegard HD7698P that is 60+ % larger. With the windload increasing at a cubed rate! Also the HD Stacker is a capable performer especially when coupled with my Research Communications Ltd LNA. It will also perform as an FM antenna where the Hi VHF and UHF antennas from most manufacturers don't . And there is a 100% money back he pays the shipping guarantee. Simply put it is the best balance of features and performance for my application right now and Denny's evaluation though lacking in scientific datum, is fair and clearly enough put for the average consumer to find use of.
OKintheStix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jun-2010, 8:06 AM   #15
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Make part of the test , vertical tilt of the Stacker Antenna. Nose up and nose down. . And to be fair , test the other antennas with vertical tilt. . The antennas need to be tested with real life situations.
Old 8-Jun-2010, 6:05 PM   #16
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Because of the close vertical stacking of 2 dissimilar Tv antennas , check for nulls , signal distortions and cancelation effects across channels 7 thru 69 of the Stacker antenna. And to be fair , check the other antennas for nulls , signal distortions and cancelation effects across each channel.

Last edited by teleview; 8-Jun-2010 at 6:14 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 8-Jun-2010, 6:13 PM   #17
teleview

Lightbulb Tv reception

Shall I go on ?
Old 9-Jun-2010, 8:30 PM   #18
Michael55555

Smile Hd stacker antenna has good gain on low vhf & fm

I tested Denny's HD STACKER antenna in Long Beach, LI, New York 11561, 21 miles from the Empire State Building, 93 miles from Philadelphia, PA, and 73 miles from New Haven, CT.

I was amazed that the VHF antenna of the stacker was picking up WKOB-LD, RF Ch. 2 on low-VHF, a 300 watt low power station, 21 miles away.

In addition, low power translator FM station 105.7 in Smithtown, 200 watts, which none of my antennas could receive came in dead full quieting when pointed to the NE, given strong adjacent channel WQXR-FM Classical 105.9Mhz.

Additionally, the VHF antenna picked up WVIT-DT, RF Ch. 6 on low VHF, 93 miles away!

I emailed Denny for the gain specifications in dbD for the HD Stacker antenna on low VHF Ch. 2, 4, 5, 6; high VHF 7, 9, 11, 13; UHF Ch. 18, 21, 24, 28, 33, 38, 41, 44, 48, 51. Denny said he asked Winegard to test the antenna in their test range.

The HD Stacker antenna is simply the best antenna for its size in performance on the low VHF, hi-VHF, and UHF channel range. The antenna is like a radio telescope on the low VHF and FM bands. On hi-VHF and UHF the antenna picks up hard to reach stations without difficulty.

The UHF antenna by itself was picking up my hi-VHFs RF 7, 8, 11, 13 from 21 miles away, and RF8 WNJB-DT from 44 miles away at 10 feet above ground in my home without line of site.

I strongly recommend the HD Stacker antenna, which is only $99 with free shipping.

I am a new customer of Denny's Antenna service and I am a HAM Radio Operator licensed by the FCC and I know what I am talking about.

So, for the individual planning to test the HD Stacker, be sure to include low VHF testing between 54Mhz - 108 Mhz!!!

Thank you for reading my review of the best consumer TV antenna on the market today!

I am sold on this antenna and I am considering another one pointed to Philadelphia (2-Edge, 93 miles away) to avoid a rotator.
Michael55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Jun-2010, 11:05 PM   #19
teleview

Thumbs up Tv reception

I am 60 years old and I have seen and heard all this before. . 'The ~'SUPER BLASTER'~ Tv Antenna' is the answer , it is the only antenna you will need , it works like a radio telescope , it fishes signals out of the air , it's a signal magnet , like no other antenna - it reaches out and grabs signals , it works on the principle of reactive electromagnetic waves , the tuned elements act like electron amplifiers , With this antenna on the roof of your house - you will swell up with pride. . Look buddy , a word for the wise , get the ~SUPER BLASTER~ , it's a great Actor. . . . . No need for Teleview any more , Ya know that teleview? Ya. . Well he is an Idiot , He thinks I will actually think about what I am doing , That Teleview he is stupid. . Ive got the ~SUPER BLASTER~ , I am a real man.

Last edited by teleview; 12-Jun-2010 at 9:58 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections and update/clarify information.
Old 10-Jun-2010, 2:06 PM   #20
Michael55555

Smile Additional Information to HD Stacker Review 06/09/2010

06/10/2010

The HD Stacker is the best consumer TV/FM antenna for its size, period.

The station I am picking up on low VHF Ch. 6, RF6 from Philadelphia, PA, 93 miles away is WPVI-DT (ABC6-Philadelphia) on real channel Low VHF 6.

There is a 30 watt pirate station in Brooklyn, NY 15 miles away using vertical polarization at a height of 60 feet using a 30 inch quarter wave vertical whip antenna. Guess what, the HD Stacker picked up this flea power pirate station at 104.7Mhz at a receive height of 10 feet plus 6 feet above sea level, when I oriented the VHF stacker antenna into vertical polarization. When I turned the VHF antenna back to horizontal polarization, the pirate station was like magic gone and I was picking up far off 104.7Mhz from Poughkeepsie, NY 80 miles away dead full quieting.

In addition, I am picking up WTNH-DT RF10 from New Haven, CT, 2 edge from 73 miles satisfactorily.

My recommendations are: (1) WEATHERPROOF THE TWIN LEAD WIRE BY SOLDERING THE COPPER WIRE TO EACH RING TERMINAL; (2) WRAP THE TWIN LEAD WITH 3M BRAND ELECTRICAL TAPE TO PROTECT IT FROM WATER AND SOLAR UV RADIATION, THIS WILL MAKE THE TWIN LEAD LAST A GOOD LONG TIME; (3) WIPE ALL SURFACES OF THE ANTENNA WITH PAINT THINNER AND WIPE OFF WITH A CLEAN RAG AND PAINT THE ANTENNA WITH A NON-CONDUCTIVE PAINT EITHER CLEAR OR THE COLOR OF YOUR CHOICE (DO NOT USE METALLIC PAINT SINCE IT WILL SHIELD THE SIGNALS YOU WANT); WEATHERPROOF ALL TWIN LEAD TERMINALS AFTER MAKING YOUR CONNECTIONS USING COAX SEAL OR ROOF SEALING COMPOUND; (4) USE RG-6 SOLID COPPER CORE QUAD SHIELD FOR DOWNLEAD: USE A PRE-AMP LOCATED 14 INCHES BELOW THE ANTENNA TO MAKE UP FOR DOWNLEAD LOSS; (5) GROUND THE ANTENNA USING #6 COPPER WIRE USING A GROUND CLAMP ON THE MAST AND AN 8 FOOT GROUND ROD BELOW THE ANTENNA, CONNECT THIS TV GROUND ROD USING A #6 COPPER WIRE BACK TO YOUR ELECTRICAL PANELS GROUND ROD SO THE GROUND VOLTAGE POTENTIAL OF YOUR AC GROUND AND COAXIAL CABLE GROUND ARE THE SAME= 0 VOLTS.

I am extremely pleased with the HD Stacker TV antenna and would recommend it to everyone, you will receive more TV and FM stations than you knew existed in your reception area. I receive all New York City Stations, most Philadelphia, and most New Haven and Hartford, CT stations with this antenna. My prior antenna could only receive New York City and give me a deep fringe area rolling vertical picture for these stations.

The HD Stacker antenna rocks on low VHF 54-108Mhz, hi-VHF, and UHF.

I am a new customer. I am not paid to endorse this product, I am writing based on my personal experience with the HD Stacker TV antenna.
Michael55555 is offline   Reply With Quote