TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 15-Apr-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
Esteban

I don't understand, either, why you have danced around the antenna suggestions, & bought something else ???
BUT, I am using the CM 4228HD antenna & am pleased. It is not the best for my location, but I got it cheaply & almost new at a yard sale. I could try it out & if not pleased, return it. I don't have a lot of stations listed for my area & it still works well. I even receive a couple of low band vhf just fine with it, surprisingly. It is a little " touchy " to precisely get it aimed, but trial & error gets the job done. The only way to know if it works in your area is to put it up & AIM it correctly.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2011, 12:37 PM   #22
mrpep

I will taking it back and getting the HBU33 and will be placing it on the roof. The reason I bought this cm4228 is because I felt comfortable knowing that I can return it. I hope the HBU33 does the job. I will keep everyone posted and thanks.
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-Apr-2011, 10:29 PM   #23
mrpep

Just bought the hbu33 as you guys recommended and I placed it in the attic. I simply connected the coaxial and ran it to a tv. Im getting some breaking up though somehow. Its pretty bad on some channels. I must need an amplifier or put it on the chimney but Im really trying to avoid that. My roof is pretty simple its 1/2 plywood and shingle I put the roof up so Im sure of this. Could it be my cables? I am using basic coaxial. Well at least I got it going for now I need to tweak it out. Do I have to point this thing directly at the sears tower? Im guessing that there is some tolerance, isnt there? Any tips will be appreciated.I am going to get a splitter for 4 tvs so I think I definitely need a amp, right? let me know what you think. Thanks

p.s
Do I have to ground the antenna?

Last edited by mrpep; 15-Apr-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 15-Apr-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
mrpep

I fixed it . I moved teh antenna to 110 degrees and I shortened the cable to size, This seems to have helped. I wonder what will happen when I split the line for 4 tv's. Will it get worse? I guess Ill find out.
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-All.png (69.7 KB, 502 views)
Old 15-Apr-2011, 11:07 PM   #25
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Just bought the hbu33 as you guys recommended and I placed it in the attic. I simply connected the coaxial and ran it to a tv. Im getting some breaking up though somehow. Its pretty bad on some channels. I must need an amplifier or put it on the chimney but Im really trying to avoid that. My roof is pretty simple its 1/2 plywood and shingle I put the roof up so Im sure of this. Could it be my cables? I am using basic coaxial. Well at least I got it going for now I need to tweak it out. Do I have to point this thing directly at the sears tower? Im guessing that there is some tolerance, isnt there? Any tips will be appreciated.I am going to get a splitter for 4 tvs so I think I definitely need a amp, right? let me know what you think. Thanks

p.s
Do I have to ground the antenna?
Cables could be bad, have they been wet, kinked, crushed or stapled?

Connections are more likely a problem, especially if the connectors were installed in the field. Loose or corroded shield to connector junction is easily hidden. The contacts inside the F connector on the TV, splitter or balun can be spread and then fail to make reliable contact with the cable center conductor.

Point at the Sears tower. Five degrees either way is high precision in the case of this type antenna.

An amplifier may change the symptoms, it won't fix the problem. Many amplifiers will be overloaded by the powerful signals, which would cause more trouble for you. I don't believe you have a signal level problem... I think you have a signal quality problem. Amplifiers will only reduce signal quality.

If you can't find a place in your attic that offers clean signals, at least try the antenna outside. My experience with the attic is in conditions with similar signal strength as your case. My roof is of similar construction as yours. I had to put my primary antenna outside.

If the antenna stays in the attic, the splitter should have a grounding lug. Run a #14 or 12 wire from the splitter to a reliable ground. http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 15-Apr-2011 at 11:23 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-Apr-2011, 11:56 AM   #26
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Do I have to point this thing directly at the sears tower?
I'm guessing that there is some tolerance, isn't there? ?
Yes.
There may be 20 degrees of mis-aiming before problems show up.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote