TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Apr-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
rednaxelanhoj
Newbie Cord Cutter

Newbie in Lexington, SC

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8d177611418840
I recently did away with Time Warner. I've been quite happy using internet feeds but really want to get major local channels working. I'm mainly concerned with NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox. I am unable to pick up any channels inside the house using this. I would like to be able to use the current wiring from TWC in the house with one antenna on the roof. I am in a single story house with a few trees around but nothing major. All neighboring houses are single story as well and are at least 40 yards away.

As far as current equipment, I picked up one of these before beginning my research thinking it would just work. (I can't pick up anything with it.)
The previous owner left the below antenna in the shed. I have no idea what it is. It's about 12ft long.

I of course would like to save as much money as possible but have a solid signal on the basic channels. Any help is much appreciated.
rednaxelanhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

The antenna laying on the ground appears to be an all channel antenna designed for suburban or fringe areas. It's bigger than needed, but will receive plenty of signal. Aim it toward ENE (70° per your compass) and you will see all the major networks.

The amplified antenna was either overloaded by the strong local signals or your tuner has not been setup to receive ATSC (Over the Air Digtal), presuming your tuner has ATSC capability. What is the make and model of your receiver?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 11:47 PM   #3
John Candle

Tv Antennas and Reception

The LOS Line Of Sight channels are strong enough to receive with one of these , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=233. It looks like the siding on the house is wood and thats good. Metal siding blocks Tv reception and foil backed insulation reduces Tv reception. I suggest try a NON Amplified indoor tv antenna as suggested in the link. The antenna Needs to be aimed correctly and here is how to aim Tv antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Apr-2011 at 12:13 AM.
John Candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Apr-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
John Candle

The Tv or Tv's need to be digital Tv's or will need a digital to analog converter , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=380 . . Read and understand this about , Real Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Virtual Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , Analog Tv Channels , http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=695
Old 14-Apr-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
John Candle

As GUM says the antenna on the ground is a all channel Tv antenna and that is Ok. Unless you have more then 6 Tv's in the house do not use any type or kind of amplifier with the outdoor all channel antenna. If you are getting your internet through Time Warner Do Not use the same coax cable line that the internet is on. If you are getting the internet some other way then it's Ok to use the coax lines.

Last edited by John Candle; 14-Apr-2011 at 6:44 AM.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
John Candle

If the Tv is in the basement you will not receive Tv channels with a indoor Tv antenna.
Old 14-Apr-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
rednaxelanhoj
Newbie Cord Cutter

Thanks for the help everyone. I will try using the antenna that was left on the ground. (Maybe this weekend I can install it.) I no longer am using TWC for internet. I have 4 tvs in the house, all are digital. I have no other equipment between the antenna and tvs other than a few splitters.
I never thought when cutting the cable that picking up the OTA channels would be the most difficult part
Old 14-Apr-2011, 1:44 PM   #8
Esteban

Quote;

"" I never thought when cutting the cable that picking up the OTA channels would be the most difficult part .""

Really, in your location,, it shouldn't be. You have better signals than I do, by far, & my set-up was easy. It makes me believe that you are doing something wrong ,, have bad wiring, splitter, connections,, or too many splitters. As others have stated, that antenna on the ground should bring in plenty of stations,,, IF pointed correctly. Before trying to open it's elements, put a drop of oil on all the movable parts to keep from breaking something. Follow the previous advice.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-Apr-2011, 4:49 PM   #9
GroundUrMast

Cable and satellite networks do not use ATSC signal format. If you are set up and running on either type network, your TV tuners need to be adjusted if they have the ability to receive ATSC format.

Again, if your TV's are older, with analog only tuners, you will need a DTV to analog converter for each.

If your sets are newer, equipped with DTV (ATSC) tuners, you need to change the setup menu settings to make them understand what type signal to expect.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 14-Apr-2011 at 4:53 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Apr-2011, 3:39 PM   #10
rednaxelanhoj
Newbie Cord Cutter

Thumbs up Update

Thanks for everyone's help. I opened up the TWC cable box and found multiple splitters. I replaced these with a single 8-way splitter. I mounted the pictured antenna in the attic and ran cable to the splitter. In the room closest to the splitter I am able to pick up all major networks (some slightly broken up), but am missing some in the other rooms of the house. All are able to pick up at least a few channels now. I am considering purchasing one of the following two products:
PCT Booster
or
Motorola Booster
If you have other suggestions, those would be great as well. Thanks again for the help.
Old 21-Apr-2011, 8:29 AM   #11
John Candle

Here is a 8 way distribution amplifier Channel Master CM3418. Wow you have 6 to 8 Tv's in the house?? . Having a Tv antenna in the attic reduces signal strength of the antenna. The reception of the Tv stations to the north east is where the antenna is pointed. Reception of Tv stations from other directions will not be as good. If the Tv antenna that is in the attic is not pointed in the direction of about 70 degree magnetic compass then the antenna will not receive Tv stations from the north east very well.
Old 21-Apr-2011, 1:15 PM   #12
rednaxelanhoj
Newbie Cord Cutter

I have 4 TVs but 8 coax outlets I'd like to mostly have working just in case I ever need them. The antenna seems to work pretty well in the current position since the TV with the shortest amount of cable to it picks up all channels. If possible I'd like to amp before the split because there is no power source anywhere near the split.
Old 21-Apr-2011, 3:16 PM   #13
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Either of the two mentioned drop amps from Amazon will be fine.

Order a package of 75 ohm F-terminators and cap any unused outlets, whether at the splitter or at the room outlet.

Placing the drop amp as close to the antenna will minimize unrecoverable signal loss.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Apr-2011, 6:17 PM   #14
Esteban

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Either of the two mentioned drop amps from Amazon will be fine.

Order a package of 75 ohm F-terminators and cap any unused outlets, whether at the splitter or at the room outlet.

Placing the drop amp as close to the antenna will minimize unrecoverable signal loss.
DING,,, DING !! I agree.
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-Apr-2011, 4:27 PM   #15
rednaxelanhoj
Newbie Cord Cutter

amp and terminators ordered. Thanks!
Old 25-Apr-2011, 3:14 PM   #16
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Let us know how it works out!

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote