TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 7-Jan-2013, 4:11 AM   #1
North Ga

new and need help deciding

I want to go through with the transition but I'm not sure my numbers look good enough to do so..Any and all advice appreciated..I have emailed a guy that does installatins but after I sent him my results I have not heard back. Thanks in advance and I love the site!

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...c84f51a76cfe7e
North Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2013, 2:28 PM   #2
elmo

Some installer huh. I think anyone who wants a career in the service industry could make a good living by just returning calls!

There's a link on the forum for finding installers if you need help w/that.

Anyway, you can get plenty of stations easily. I'd look at an HD7000R, pointed south. An outdoor mount is best, with a view clear of trees and other large obstacles near by.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2013, 2:29 PM   #3
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Your numbers look fine.

A small UHF/high-VHF antenna facing Atlanta should do fine unless your really want that low-power analog broadcast of Azteca America.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 7-Jan-2013 at 2:34 PM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7-Jan-2013, 3:02 PM   #4
North Ga

thanks guys- I will look into finding a different installer.
Old 7-Jan-2013, 5:01 PM   #5
teleview

Many , many , many , Digital Tv channels will be received.

Above the roof in such a manner that the roof and house are not blocking reception in all directions install a Winegard HD7000R antenna aimed at about 173 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Here are some above the roof antenna mounts , http://www.ronard.com/909911.html.
, http://www.ronard.com/ychim.html , http://www.ronard.com/34424560.html if using the eave mount use the #4560. , http://www.ronard.com.

Can also use a Winegard DS3000 J pole type antenna mount.

No preamplifier is required.

For 1 Tv connected use no splitter.

For 2 Tv's connected use a simple common 2 way splitter.

For 3 Tv's connected use a simple common 3 way splitter.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.amazon.com.

As always , trees and tree leaves do a real fine job of , reflecting , reducing , blocking , Digital Tv reception and so do buildings and other obstructions including your own roof and house.

It is best to install the HD7000R antenna at a location that has the least amount to no amount of obstructions of any type or kind in the directions of reception including your own roof and house.

The Tv/s Must Channel Scan for the Digital Broadcast Tv Channels , often named the 'Air Channels' or 'Antenna Channels' in the Tv setup menu because the Tv transmissions travel through the air from the transmitting antenna to the receiving antenna.

Some Digital Tv's automatic channel scan for the cable tv channels.

Go into the Tv setup menu and select , 'Air Channels' / 'Antenna Channels'.

DO NOT channel scan for cable tv channels.

Last edited by teleview; 21-Feb-2013 at 2:04 PM.
Old 7-Jan-2013, 7:20 PM   #6
North Ga

So..all antennas will pick up HD?? I looked up the HD7000r one sys it's HD and another has no mention of HD.
Old 7-Jan-2013, 7:26 PM   #7
North Ga

AntennaCraft HBU33 85 Boom HBU Series Antenna for UHF and High-Band VHF - 70 to 60 Mile Range

looking at this one..would I need an amp also?? sorry for the dumb questions but it appears I am on my own with the install, I can't find one in my area.
Old 7-Jan-2013, 8:17 PM   #8
Stereocraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Ga View Post
So..all antennas will pick up HD?? I looked up the HD7000r one sys it's HD and another has no mention of HD.
Any antenna that picks up the channel, will pick up HD.

HD antenna, is like saying color TV antenna,VS black and white or FM stereo antenna, VS FM mono.
Stereocraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8-Jan-2013, 4:54 PM   #9
teleview

-->ALL<--> antennas are HD antennas.

Antennas made out of wire coat hangers are hd antennas.

A piece of wire is a hd antenna.

The human body is a hd antenna.

One part of Digital Broadcast and Digital reception is HD High Definition.

Here are the definitions/resolutions/clarity of the picture.

Low definition 480i. This is the Analog Broadcast and Reception that was transmitted for 70 years , when it was new , it was HD transmission and reception Television.

Now Digital processing is used to 'clean up' the 480i.

Improved definition 480P , as a reference point of clarity , Non HD - DVD's are 480P

High definition , Broadcast and Reception.

720P. As a point of reference , FOX transmits 720P as there HD picture.

1080i. This currently the highest definition for Broadcast Tv transmission and reception.
Tv stations can transmit 1080P , currently non are.

1080P. As a point of reference for clarity of the picture , Blue Ray is 1080P.

When Digital Broadcast Tv Transmission and Reception was new just a few years ago.

A popular topic on the Digital Tv forums was ,

Can you see any differences of clarity of the pictures of , 720P , 1080i , 1080P.

Last edited by teleview; 9-Jan-2013 at 3:37 PM.
Old 20-Feb-2013, 6:48 PM   #10
North Ga

Well, I did it- and have been very happy with the results..The only channel I have trouble getting that I need is the NBC channel WXIA. For whatever reason it comes and goes..I believe it is as strong as the other major networks?? Any advice would be appreciated. I have tried amplifiers but they don't seem to make a difference, I have my antenna pointed south and slightly west... Over all I am very satisfied. Thanks in advance-
Old 20-Feb-2013, 7:14 PM   #11
teleview

What antenna is installed??

Where is the antenna installed??

Above the roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked in all directions by the roof and house??

Is the antenna in the attic??

Is the antenna down on the side of the house??

Is a amplifier being used now??

If so , what is the make and model number of the amplifier??

Last edited by teleview; 21-Feb-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 20-Feb-2013, 9:44 PM   #12
elmo

Hmmm. So it's pointed in the right direction it sounds like. Any issues getting WGTV-PBS Ch 8? It's close to WXIA in distance, frequency. Can you also check the signal strengths on the TV for those?

To confirm, what antenna did you get - the HD7000R?

I wonder if someone will recommend an FM trap. I haven't used one that wasn't built into an amp, so I can't really say. But it often helps on VHF issues from what I understand. Only $5 at a Radio Shack, so worth a try, IMO.
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:07 AM   #13
Dan4328

FM traps, in-line or in the amplifier, haven't helped for any of my two other previous locations in the Atlanta metro, even with Real 8 and 10 being near each other and the FM band.

If you want to go cheap, you can use a simple Terk 1080I/1080A antenna in the room of the TV as long as it points towards the Atlanta area. Since you live a reasonable 30 miles from Atlanta, you might want to use an attic antenna simply to avoid any chance of propagation interference. Make sure the antenna doesn't point too much over 190 degrees to prevent too much signal from WATC, which might interfere on the signal from the Atlanta channels.

If you have a portable digital TV, a simple one dipole antenna or rabbit ears will do if you need to use one, but I wouldn't recommend it for use all the time because of distance.
Dan4328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:13 PM   #14
North Ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleview View Post
What antenna is installed??

Where is the antenna installed??

Above the roof in such a manner that reception is not blocked in all directions by the roof and house??

Is the antenna in the attic??

Is the antenna down on the side of the house??

Is a amplifier being used now??

If so , what is the make and model number of the amplifier??
1. on the roof where my dish was..

2. yep

3. no

4. nope

5. no amp now but I have tried 2 different types

6. RCA amp/distributor, looks cheap..I also put an amp that had fm trap and signal booster, but can't remeber the make- I am not home at the moment

I adjusted the antenna yesterday slightly towards the east, and WXIA came up on my main t.v., our other tv still will not pick it up even after downloading the channels again.. I have adjusted the antenna a good bit just to see what I could pick up..towards the west I can get the Atlanta Channel but no WXIA, and slightly adjusted to the east, vica versa..I can live with that though..I will get the amp info up as soon as I get home.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:15 PM   #15
North Ga

the antenna is a 7 ft long wedge, vhf/uhf/fm
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:16 PM   #16
No static at all

Most importantly, WHICH antenna did you end up going with?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:21 PM   #17
North Ga

I don't know the name/brand..it was in my neighbor's attic, brand new and never used...to my knowledge it is a basic VHF/UHF/FM "wedge" antenna, with the V shape front and longer bars to the back..
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:31 PM   #18
No static at all

Sounds like a Radio Shack VU-90XR. Being so close to the roofline will hinder VHF reception quite a bit. Any chance you can go a bit higher?
No static at all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Feb-2013, 1:33 PM   #19
North Ga

that's what I was thinking next..I need to some how get higher I am only monted onto the dish mast at the moment..

Last edited by North Ga; 21-Feb-2013 at 1:50 PM.
Old 21-Feb-2013, 2:11 PM   #20
teleview

Most likely multipath.

Reflected signal off of trees and other objects , move the antenna to other locations as reception tests.