TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 28-Aug-2014, 8:07 PM   #1
signmastr

Fallbrook Reception

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f3cf2ec59a5
Need a little reception help. I have a roof mounted HBU33, 10ft mast with an attic mounted PCT MA2 and PCT 4 way splitter. Lately my reception has been spotty, loosing CBS, ABC intermittently. San Diego stations only with 4 TV's.

Last edited by signmastr; 28-Aug-2014 at 8:10 PM. Reason: error
signmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 9:57 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Of all the signals on your report, KFMB and KGTV should be the most reliable. If I was starting from scratch, I would have selected an antenna with greater UHF gain than the HBU-33. An Antennas Direct 91XG or DB8E would be my choice for going after the UHF group SSE of your location. An Antennacraft Y5713 pointed due south would be my choice for the two signals on real CH-8 & 10... Though the HBU-33 could be used instead. I'd also opt for a mast mounted preamp such as the RCA TVPRAMP1R.

So, to deal with the situation at hand;

How hot does your attic get? A slowly cooked amplifier is a possible explanation for the symptoms.

Have you considered a new matching transformer and coax? If any water has entered, these parts are capable of degraded operation, with symptoms that would be consistent with your description.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-Aug-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
signmastr

As attics go, not too hot, well vented anyway. Everything is about 18 months new.
Old 29-Aug-2014, 2:31 AM   #4
GroundUrMast

I'd suggest that you run this test... http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=13646

I'd use a new or known good matching transformer and new section of coax. The goal is to determine if the antenna is able to directly drive one tuner... If not. adjustments to aim and or mounting location/height will be the next step.

Old 30-Aug-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Tower Guy

The Winegard HD 1080 just happens to have UHF patterns opposite the VHF patterns, which is exactly what you need.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2014, 2:25 PM   #6
signmastr

I bypassed all cable runs except the mast, using main tv no amp or splitter. I did a re-scan as suggested. I'll have to drop the mast to ck the transformer. Gotta be an easier way.

My stations are 20 degrees apart, if I'm reading it right. How will that antenna help?

Last edited by signmastr; 30-Aug-2014 at 2:52 PM.
Old 30-Aug-2014, 3:45 PM   #7
Tower Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by signmastr View Post

My stations are 20 degrees apart, if I'm reading it right. How will that antenna help?
It won't. My mistake. Only PBS is opposite 8 & 10.
Tower Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-Aug-2014, 9:38 PM   #8
signmastr

Reception without the amp and splitter seems about the same so far. Some aiming tips might be helpful though.
Old 31-Aug-2014, 8:21 AM   #9
teleview

+=>

Install a New matching transformer , the Channel Master CM94444 outdoor matching transformer is often recommended.

For coax that is exposed to the outside Weather/Water , use RG-6 Coax that has the Compression Type Connectors on the ends of the coax.

Do not use coax that has the old style crimp type connectors.

Replace outside coax with New Coax.

To make Double Sure Weather/Water does not get into , coax , connections , devices.

Wrap the connections and incase the matching transformer with.

http://www.coaxseal.com.

--------------------------------------

Aim the HBU33 antenna at about 147 degree magnetic compass direction.

-------------------------

Here is how to aim antennas.

http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Use a Real and Actual magnetic compass to aim antenna , do not trust a , cell phone , tablet and etc. compass.

To assist best reception.

Most Digital Tv's have a Signal Strength Meter and some Digital Tv's also have a Signal Quality Meter.

-------------------------

When the antenna system is working at it's best.

Is/are.

K35DG , http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/K35DG

KSWB-FOX

KUSI-Independent

KNSD-NBC

KPBS-PBS

received reliably??
Old 31-Aug-2014, 2:37 PM   #10
signmastr

Spoke to soon. All stations dropped last night, except KFMB and KGTV.
Did have low clouds though. Guess I need the amp.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 5:31 PM   #11
signmastr

If I start completely over, how about an Antennacraft MXU47 and Antennacraft Y5713?
Using RS would save shipping and returns are easy.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 6:39 PM   #12
GroundUrMast

I'd finish proving that there are no problems with the matching transformer and coax that attaches directly to it... Once you are certain you are looking at the true performance of your existing antenna, you can make an informed decision regarding the purchase of a new antenna.

If the HBU-33 is not capable of receiving a reliable signal at it's present position, I'd also exhaust all reasonable options for alternate mounting location and height. Sometimes, a move of just a few inches can produce a significant change in reception.

If the HBU-33 is functioning at or near 'new / out of the box' levels, and can't deliver a reliable signal, the added 2.5 dB UHF gain of the MXU-47 would be less than I would want... I would opt for an Antennas Direct DB8E which will give you the highest UHF gain available in an off the shelf UHF only antenna.

I would also expect little difference in H-VHF performance when comparing the HBU-33 and Y5713. The HBU-33 'should' be doing very well with the relatively strong signals on real CH-8 & 10... Which is why I continue to suspect a problem (or multiple problems) with the existing antenna, matching transformer and/or coax.

Old 1-Sep-2014, 6:58 PM   #13
teleview

+=>

At the 25 foot antenna height of the tvfool report.

The Tv signal strengths are Very Weak Signal Strengths at your reception location.

To see if signal strengths improve at higher antenna heights.

Please make and post 2 more tvfool reports , 40 and 60 feet antenna heights above ground.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 8:20 PM   #14
signmastr

The HBU-33 does well with channels 8 and 10. When adjusting antenna for UHF channels is when my problems start. What compass heading would be a good place to start? I can replace the drop line, transformer and try the coax tape. I don't have a compression crimper tool though.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 8:53 PM   #15
GroundUrMast

Your TV Fool report indicates that you should expect optimum UHF reception when the antenna is pointed toward the direction of 147° per a compass.

I would invest in a 30' or 50' factory assembled cable if for no other reason than to have a known good test tool.

Old 1-Sep-2014, 11:04 PM   #16
signmastr

Won't the 147 degree setting impact VHF 8 and 10 reception?

My antenna is mounted on a single story home at roofs peak on a 10ft mast.
40 and 50ft reports
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243a914657345
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2431aa9086f5f

Last edited by signmastr; 1-Sep-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 1-Sep-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

You need two separate antennas: One high VHF for channels 8 & 10 and you need a very directional UHF antenna for everything else.

Your area is one where a combo antenna can't be aimed to cover the spread adequately.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2-Sep-2014, 1:27 AM   #18
GroundUrMast

The new reports you've posted suggest that raising the existing antenna may help your situation.

If I was in your situation, and starting with no antenna... I would use an Antennas Direct DB8E facing 147° and an Antennacraft Y5713 pointed at 180°. I'd also mount an RCA TVPRAMP1R on the mast. This preamplifier has separate inputs for a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna so the combining network would be included in the preamp, allowing for a single down-lead.

Old 3-Sep-2014, 3:16 PM   #19
signmastr

I'm going to try a TVPRAMP1R and new coax to start. Then add the Antennas Direct 91XG using the HBU-33 for VHF, later adding the Antennacraft Y5713 if it's on sale or my mast is over crowded.
Old 4-Sep-2014, 2:20 AM   #20
signmastr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The new reports you've posted suggest that raising the existing antenna may help your situation.

If I was in your situation, and starting with no antenna... I would use an Antennas Direct DB8E facing 147° and an Antennacraft Y5713 pointed at 180°. I'd also mount an RCA TVPRAMP1R on the mast. This preamplifier has separate inputs for a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna so the combining network would be included in the preamp, allowing for a single down-lead.
Decided to go with this setup. Got a great price on the DB8E. Will need some two antennas on one mast tips and suggestions.

Last edited by signmastr; 5-Sep-2014 at 3:23 PM.