TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 18-Sep-2014, 6:26 PM   #1
amcjeep

Noob From CT

Yeah basically same question as every other post in this thread.

What is my best course of action to obtain the best reception? I am a complete newbie to all of this stuff. My analysis is as follows
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24382b8b0db9a

I spoke to a tech online at antennas direct and they suggested I go with a Clearstream v2 antenna and I should not need a pre-amp or anything. Would this be my best option?

I plan on roof mounting it, my house is at the highest point in the surrounding area, but it is surrounded by trees. (when I was looking at solar panels they suggest about 10 trees come down for optimal sun).

Thanks for the help
-Paul

Last edited by amcjeep; 18-Sep-2014 at 6:27 PM. Reason: pre-amp
amcjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2014, 6:32 PM   #2
toy71camaro

What channels are you most concerned with receiving? I think that's going to be one of the question the smarter guys are going to need to know (I'm a noob myself). Just looking at your report, they seem to be some what spread about.
toy71camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2014, 6:41 PM   #3
amcjeep

Ahh see, I am not even sure if that appears to be a spread out report? Others I have seen tend to have channel options in all directions. I seem to have mine concentrated mostly towards the east.

But Ideally I would like to receive NBC, CBS, PBS and FOX
Old 18-Sep-2014, 8:28 PM   #4
tomfoolery

All but two of your stations are UHF, and one of those two (WTNH on real 10) is ABC, but so is WGGB on real 40. The other (WWLP on real 11) is NBC, but so is WVIT on real 35. So I would go for the DB8e, and aim the panels about 90 degrees apart, or a little less, depending on how they all come in. If real 10 is wanted, a Y10713 could be added to the same mast just for that station, and combined with a UVSJ.
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-Sep-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
amcjeep

Thank you Tom,

ABC is not a priority for me. So I think i could get away with the single antenna. If I am reading the map correctly I should probably point each mast at about 90 degrees and 130 degrees?
Old 19-Sep-2014, 1:00 PM   #6
timgr

If you get the DB8e, it mounts on a single mast and has two panels. You can aim each panel independently. I would guess and aim one at about 45 magnetic and the other at about 142 (100 spread). Depending on performance, I'd then try reducing the angle between symmetrically, ie to 55 and 132 (80 spread) or something. Hopefully the channels in between would be partly covered by both panels, and the whole range would be covered.
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-Sep-2014, 2:10 PM   #7
tomfoolery

If you go to AD's web site, to the DB8e page, and click on the "Documents" tab, and open the Technical Data pdf, you can see the gain patterns and how they change with azimuth. At +/- 45 deg, it looks like around 8 dB on channel 14 increasing to about 11 dB on channel 51 along those lines, with useful gain in the middle. It looks like a good match to your situation, other than not being designed to receive VHF, which you may not care about anyway. But you could always add a high-VHF antenna later.

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3-Oct-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
BigBean

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
If you get the DB8e, it mounts on a single mast and has two panels. You can aim each panel independently. I would guess and aim one at about 45 magnetic and the other at about 142 (100 spread). Depending on performance, I'd then try reducing the angle between symmetrically, ie to 55 and 132 (80 spread) or something. Hopefully the channels in between would be partly covered by both panels, and the whole range would be covered.

Hey Tim,

This is a possibility for me too. Here in CT, Stephanie told me the DB8 would be
a good choice for my situation since I'm in the sticks. Most of my stations are in
Hartford BUT I want one, MeTV, also UHF, which needs to be pointed SW from
my position. I'm guessing that getting the DB8e will give me the abilities of the
DB8 and the ability to aim for MeTV to the south, right?

Originally I wanted to get all the UHF from Hartford on the DB8 and ABC from
New Haven on the AntennaCraft Y6713 but was willing to sacrifice ABC to get
MeTV. If I get the DB8e, while more expensive, I'm guessing I should get all
the UHF channels I seek and ABC with the second AntennaCraft antenna.
BigBean is offline   Reply With Quote