TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Special Topics > Antennas

Notices

Old 21-Jan-2014, 1:28 AM   #1
Nakattk

Attic Antenna Grounding

I want to cut the cord and put a antenna in my attic. I have read many mixed opinions on grounding in the attic, so I have decided to ground just to be safe side. I have no idea how to ground it though. My house ground rod is not to far from where the antenna will go, but the copper will have to go out and down one side of my house. I plan to tie the coax into the existing cable already ran in my home for cable TV. This cable comes into the house fed from a grounded splitter outside, so I assume that make the coax already grounded? I need any suggestions or anything that can help me know what to do and how to ground my antenna.
Nakattk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 1:30 AM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

There is no requirement to ground an attic antenna in the National Electrical Code.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-Jan-2014, 2:48 AM   #3
GroundUrMast

If you ground the case of the splitter, it's reasonable to expect all the connected cables to be grounded. You can then hope to see a circuit breaker trip if power is some how put in contact with the OTA antenna system.

As ADTech has already observed, this is over and above what article 810 of the NEC calls for, but it's a cheap and simple step in most cases... Go for the peace of mind.

As an aside, NEC 810.15 reads, "Grounding. Masts and metal structures supporting antennas shall be grounded in accordance with 810.21." It does not say that indoor masts are exempt... Yes, I'm being a bit persnickety... the simple work around would be to use a wood or plastic antenna support in an attic or other indoor application... Or just not worry about it. Common sense should prevail.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-Jan-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Nakattk

So from what I read above I do not have to ground the antenna mast. See if this sounds right? My coax comes from the street to a splitter outside that has a copper wire tied to my ground spike coming off it. The my tv cable splits and goes into the attic where it meets another splitter. If I disconnect the cable from the attic splitter that means the attic splitter is no longer grounded. So now my coax has no ground. I wanted to put antenna in attic then run coax to that attic splitter. Would that be ok now that it is not grounded?
Old 22-Jan-2014, 1:24 AM   #5
GroundUrMast

Agreeing with ADTech, I don't see the NEC requiring you to ground an indoor antenna system. But if you have access to a ground connection that can serve the attic splitter, it makes sense to use it. If you have no access, it's hard for me to tell you to go to extremes to find a way.

Some folks may be very comfortable connecting to an existing ground lead in a nearby lighting circuit. If you aren't sure how to do that safely, I'd rather you do nothing.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 23-Jan-2014, 12:06 AM   #6
Nakattk

Could I just run a copper ground wire from the mast and splitter from my attic down the side of my house to the current grounding spike outside? Would this be a proper ground? Would this be a fire hazard as it would come in contact with the structure. I have a receptacle in the attic but I already have a light tied to it as well. Not sure if that too much on one outlet as another option.
Old 23-Jan-2014, 6:02 AM   #7
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Could I just run a copper ground wire from the mast and splitter from my attic down the side of my house to the current grounding spike outside?
That's fine.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
Old 26-Jan-2014, 1:46 AM   #8
Nakattk

So then would it be ok if I use bare copper wire if it would come in contact with building materials such as insulation and wood? Because I would have to take both wires about 10ft across my attic then about 10ft down the house to the rod, but I would have to drill a hole for them to go outside.
Old 20-Feb-2014, 3:13 PM   #9
albertsauer

Grounding your antenna

I've installed two roof antennas and grounded them by connecting a heavy gauge wire form the base of the antenna to the copper vent pipes that run through the attic from the plumbing system. Just use a worm gear clamp around the mast and the vent pipes. I have a photo, but I can't see to upload it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakattk View Post
I want to cut the cord and put a antenna in my attic. I have read many mixed opinions on grounding in the attic, so I have decided to ground just to be safe side. I have no idea how to ground it though. My house ground rod is not to far from where the antenna will go, but the copper will have to go out and down one side of my house. I plan to tie the coax into the existing cable already ran in my home for cable TV. This cable comes into the house fed from a grounded splitter outside, so I assume that make the coax already grounded? I need any suggestions or anything that can help me know what to do and how to ground my antenna.
albertsauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-Feb-2014, 5:06 PM   #10
albertsauer

Here are some photos of my roof top antenna with a grounding wire in the attic. The copper wire at the base of the antenna mast attaches to the copper vent tube that runs to the roof through the attic (in a 55 year old house). Check to ensure that the vent tube is firmly grounded before connecting the wire. I found that a firm grounding of antenna mast gave a better reception as well. The black coaxial cable runs through the center of the mast to the TV connection downstairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakattk View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0805.JPG (119.5 KB, 3845 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0804.JPG (112.5 KB, 2947 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0807.JPG (113.1 KB, 2080 views)
albertsauer is offline   Reply With Quote