TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Over The Air Services > Help With Reception

Notices

Old 13-Aug-2012, 3:04 PM   #1
gqhughes

Can't get CBS in Kentucky

TV FOOL REPORT

I really don't know why I can't get KFVS12.

I've had DTV in Louisville, Atlanta, and Minneapolis with no problems really and now that I am here, I can't get this one channel.

I have a DB8 that picked up KBSI (Fox) which is about the same distance and in the same direction as the CBS channel.

I saw that the KFVS12 is a Hi-V signal so I got a RCA ANT3036X from Lowes because it is suppose to be a UHF/VHF antenna. I managed to get channel 14 (which from TV Fool is a 100 miles away) but even with moving the antenna around, I still can't get CBS.

I have a Winegard 2000 amp and the antenna is up 15 - 20 ft just over the house and my cable run is 50 feet. Is it just a matter of going higher? 30 ft? Or do I need two separate type antennas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gqhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2012, 8:30 PM   #2
GroundUrMast

Can you verify the amplifier model number? If it's one of the several models of the Chromstar 2000 Series, it would help to know which one. I'm expecting something like APxxxx format when dealing with a Winegard preamp model number.

Have you tried this without the amplifier and it's power supply in the system?

Also, have you tried this with only a single TV connected, with just a piece of coax, no splitters or any other accessories... and the antenna pointing at 306° per a compass?
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Aug-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
gqhughes

Thanks for the reply

Winegard 8700 is the amp. Sorry, I should have known to put the actual model number. Doh!

Initially I had the antenna running through a splitter but before I bought the amp, I hooked the antenna straight into the tv tuner. No go.

I used my Ipad compass to find the right degree to turn my antenna. And its been pretty consistent in its direction. And once I picked up the KBSI signal at 299 (301 on the FCC site) degrees, I figured I was in the right direction . I've also rotated the antenna in several positions (both slightly North and slightly West) just to make sure my compass wasn't misleading me.

Without the amp I was getting a very weak KBSI 23.1 signal but with it, I am getting a strong stable signal.

I keep referencing the KBSI channel because I get it, and its in close proximity to the channel I can't get.
Old 13-Aug-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
teleview

Tv Reception.

You have a UHF antenna the DB8.

Aim the DB8 at about 335 degree magnetic compass direction.

KFSV , CBS is on channel 12 VHF.

Install a Winegard YA1713 VHF antenna aimed at about 306 degree magnetic compass direction.

Here is how to aim antennas , http://www.kyes.com/antenna/pointing/pointing.html.

Combine the DB8 and YA1713 with a UVSJ = UHF/VHF/Separator/Joiner.

Type these letters in the solidsignal search box -> uvsj.

The DB8 will be connected to the UHF connection.

The YA1713 will be connected to the VHF connection.

The AP8700 will be connected to remaining connection of the UVSJ.

Here are some places to buy antennas and etc. , http://www.solidsignal.com , http://www.winegarddirect.com , http://www.amazon.com.

Rescan for new channels.

It is a good idea to scan for new channels from time to time because new Digital Tv stations/channels can begin transmitting with no prior notice.
Old 14-Aug-2012, 5:10 PM   #5
gqhughes

Thank you.

Thank you so much. I will try the set up as you described and report back. i really really really appreciate your time in this.