TV Fool  

Go Back   TV Fool > Special Forums > TV Fool Discussion / Database Updates > TV Database Updates

Notices

Old 14-Jul-2010, 7:03 PM   #21
frank

Thanks for the information Bill. I obviously have a problem. I am 7.1 mi from the transmitter, and a heading of 235. Technically I am line of sight to the new tower, but
I have a neighbor's stucco (wire mesh) house exactly between me and the tower. I would have expected some diffraction off the mesh edges, or over the top, but nothing is getting through. I can relocate the antenna, but then it places the same house between me and CFCN. I guess my only option is to use two antennas, or place the
antenna above the stucco top. I am in Edgemont near the Shaganappin/Edgemont Blvd intersection.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Jul-2010, 6:57 PM   #22
Billsmith

Smile CBC Calgary Update!

I am hearing that it is being discussed that CBRT-DT HD will be comming over the air possibly and provisionally on Channel 52 before Xmas and that it is being considered to place the new service on Channel 16 (replacing the present French service) at higher power at the switchover date August 31st 2011.
Billsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1-Aug-2010, 2:54 PM   #23
frank

Glad to hear we are getting another digital signal in Calgary. I relocated my antenna to the front, in the garage attic, and now get better than a 20db S/N ration on both active digital transponders -- at the end of about 80 ft of RG6, and a passive 3db splitter. I was surprised that a neighbors, wire mesh, stucco could totally block a 50kW signal from 7.1 mi.
Old 1-Aug-2010, 3:13 PM   #24
Billsmith

frank,

Glad to hear that you found a solution to the CICT-DT reception shielding.
Yes - UHF frequencies are remarkably sensitive to localized effects caused by objects and topography. That's why I would always recommend an outdoors antenna in order to avoid effects due to movement of people etc. in the local vacinity of the antenna's reception path.

You may also be interested to know that CityTv (CKAL-DT) have their 100Kw ERP transmitter set up and ready to go on Channel 49. They're waiting on CRTC approval in order to switch it on. It will be using the same panel antenna array as Global CICT-DT so if you receive Global well, then you should also receive CityTv well but the proof of the taste of the pudding is always in the eating - Wot?
Old 1-Aug-2010, 5:15 PM   #25
frank

Thanks for the info Bill. I will keep an eye out for Channel 49 and 52.
Old 23-Aug-2010, 5:31 PM   #26
Billsmith

CKAL-DT Channel 49 Calgary update

CityTv (CKAL-DT) have now received CRTC approval and should be ready to go with some testing very soon as their 100Kw ERP transmitter set up and ready to go on Channel 49. It is using the same panel antenna array as Global CICT-DT so if you receive Global well, then you should also receive CityTv equally well or better at double the ERP.

Last edited by Billsmith; 23-Aug-2010 at 5:36 PM.
Old 23-Aug-2010, 8:54 PM   #27
downbeat

I've amended my original post to make light of the following changes:
• The Industry Canada database has been amended to show CICT-DT Calgary's current status as OP.
• CKEM-DT Calgary has been approved by the CRTC.
• CFCN-DT Calgary's technical changes have been approved by the CRTC.
downbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-Aug-2010, 5:10 PM   #28
Billsmith

CFCN-DT Channel 29 Update in Calgary!

Just received a communication from CFCN. Looks like their Post-transition service install for Channle 29 will be a fall project so no point in scanning the UHF band looking for it just yet!

Last edited by Billsmith; 25-Aug-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: For more clarity!
Old 29-Aug-2010, 12:46 AM   #29
mtownsend

Thanks everyone for all the updates!

We've tried to capture all the changes mentioned here. Stations that are missing from the Industry Canada database have not been added since we don't have all of the technical specs (e.g., antenna pattern, height AGL, ERP, etc.) to provide an accurate propagation model.

Some of the post-transition transmitter info can only be seen in the "pending" results.

FYI, these changes should take effect immediately on any newly generated reports.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-Aug-2010, 6:46 PM   #30
frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmith View Post
CityTv (CKAL-DT) have now received CRTC approval and should be ready to go with some testing very soon as their 100Kw ERP transmitter set up and ready to go on Channel 49. It is using the same panel antenna array as Global CICT-DT so if you receive Global well, then you should also receive CityTv equally well or better at double the ERP.
CKAL is now on:
Signal strength 98
SNR 30 db
AGC 21

Virtual channel not detected; comes up as channel 49.1
Old 3-Sep-2010, 12:53 AM   #31
Billsmith

Great - thanks for the confirmation on CKAL-DT - frank. During the next 3 months I expect to find CBRT-DT testing but first - the frequency and ERP should be released!

Last edited by Billsmith; 3-Sep-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 9-Sep-2010, 4:59 AM   #32
Billsmith

CBRT-DT Update for Calgary!

Here it is folks! CBC have now made a request to operate a DTV transmitter on channel 21 at a Max ERP of 23,500 Watts at an EHAAT of 276.3 meters.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2010/2010-669.htm
Old 10-Sep-2010, 7:15 AM   #33
downbeat

Updated original post to remove stations that now appear in TV Fool's database.
Also added a few recent CRTC applications for DTV — and even one for analog TV!
downbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-Sep-2010, 1:05 AM   #34
Billsmith

Harvard Mast Calgary.

The following EHAAT 378 Meters applies to the following digital services:-

CICT-DT - ERP 50,000 Watts Channel 41
CKAL-DT - ERP 100,000 Watts Channel 49

The following EHAAT 371 Meters applies to the following digital service:-

CJCO-DT - ERP 25,000 Watts Channel 38 (Approved by CRTC but not in service until next year)

Last edited by Billsmith; 13-Sep-2010 at 1:10 AM.
Old 28-Sep-2010, 9:01 AM   #35
udagawa

opinion

I want to please make information of Northern Canada (Yukon, NWT and Nunabut).
udagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9-Mar-2011, 6:11 PM   #36
Billsmith

CBRT-DT update for Calgary!

Well folks - looks like it may be worth scanning for Channel 21 beginning 18th or 21st of this month! The HD microwave STL is now commissionned and the transmitter is expected to arrive at the end of this week! Please report any findings! Tks!
Old 11-Mar-2011, 3:57 PM   #37
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by udagawa View Post
I want to please make information of Northern Canada (Yukon, NWT and Nunabut).
I believe this should be working now. If you have any problems getting this to work, please let us know.
Old 11-Mar-2011, 4:51 PM   #38
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsmith View Post
looks like it may be worth scanning for Channel 21 beginning 18th or 21st of this month!
If you detect this transmitter on the air, then let us know so that we can move the transmitter from the "pending" category into the "current" database.
Old 1-Apr-2011, 3:56 PM   #39
Billsmith

Talking CBRT-DT Calgary and CBXT-DT Edmonton on the air!!

[QUOTE] If you detect this transmitter on the air, then let us know so that we can move the transmitter from the "pending" category into the "current" database. /[QUOTE]

Both CBRT-DT and CBXT-DT are now on the air and have been received in many locations! Their full service began today!

Last edited by Billsmith; 2-Apr-2011 at 5:13 PM.
Old 4-Jun-2011, 5:33 AM   #40
Billsmith

Smile CFCN-DT Channel 29 on the Air.

Looks like Channel 29 is finally on the air with increased power - at last! I'm not sure if it is at full power yet but it is definitely on the Air!! Infact both channel 29 (virtual 4.1) and 36 (Virtual 36.1) are on the air together!